The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Rusty Young touring with Poco
Bob Grado

Holmdel, New Jersey
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2009 9:03 am    

Wow..What a night at the Loggins and Messina show. Poco opening up, Richie Furray sounding better then ever. Jim Messina sitting in on "You Better Think Twice, Rusty Young way out front in the mix on "Kind Woman". (playing a Carter).

What a terrific show. Catch it if you get the chance.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2009 1:54 pm    

Where was that, Bob?

Dennis Bonfiglio

Cape Coral, Fl
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2009 6:10 pm     poco-Rusty Young

They played a free show in Haddon Hgts Park about a month ago, got about 5-6 songs in and then the rains came and cancelled the show. Rusty only played 1 song on steel, still sounded good though

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2009 3:59 am    

JIm,

It was PNC Arts Center in Holmdell. Great show, nice to see pretty much the original lineup on stage, especially George Grantham. Loggins and Messina were excellent too.

Richie Furay is also playing tonight in Short Hills tonight with his band, may go and see them.

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2009 3:10 am     Poco

I believe I read somewhere a while back that Richie Furay was performing Christian oriented music exclusively.

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2009 7:47 am    

After The Souther Hillman Furay Band split up, Richie recorded what many feel was the first contemporary Christian record "I've Got a Reason" in 1976 for David Geffen's label after being led to the Lord by Al Perkins. After two more releases, he basically left the music business and became the Pastor of Calvary Chapel Boulder Co (now Calvary Chapel Broomfield). He did participate in a Poco reunion in the late 80's, but ended up leaving during the tour. He was coaxed out of musical retirement in 1995 by a label I was working for and we produced two Christian records, "In My Father's House" and "I Am Sure". Richie began touring again in the late '90's, mixing Christian venues with secular one where he performed music of Poco and the Springfield, with a mini "take you to church" set in the middle. In 2006, we produced "The Heartbeat of Love" his first secular record since SHF, and was followed this year by a double live record.

Richie is one of the most dedicated Christians you will find anywhere. He still is the Pastor of CC Broomfield, where his congregation welcomes and supports his "other job" touring and playing great music. His "church" set and testimony of his faith goes over amazing well in secular venues, and I admire his ability to maintain his faith in the rock and roll world Smile.

He has a book out called "Pickin' Up the Pieces" which is a great read in you are interested... I am extremely proud to have spent the last 13 or so years involved in his musical journey...

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2009 5:28 pm    

Thanks John for your incite, I was going to see Richie in Short Hills, NJ last night, but being the chairman of the Shadetree Preservation Committee of my town, I missed it.

We had some issues to deal with that made it impossible to make the show. I think Richie would approve.

I did see him on Saturday night at the PNC Arts Center show in Holmdel, NJ and he was great!

I have most of his albums and CD's that you have produced and they are all great, the live 2 CD set is awesome. I saw Richie with Scott Sellen in Austin at SXSW a few years ago at Antones and they were great.

John, Keep up the great work and keep Richie recording, he still has some great music in him, as well as preaching.

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days