The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  A True American Hero
Roger Shackelton

MINNESOTA (deceased)
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2009 2:58 pm    

A message sent to me from another Forumite.

ROGER

-----------------------------------------------------

Date: Monday, July 20, 2009

A Wonderful Story, but an eye opener! How sad that this has to be true!

Ed Freeman

You're a 19 year old kid.
You're critically wounded and dying in the jungle in the Ia Drang Valley ,

11-14-1965, LZ X-ray , Vietnam. Your infantry unit is outnumbered 8 - 1 and the enemy fire is so intense, from 100 or 200 yards away, that your own Infantry Commander has ordered the MediVac helicopters to stop coming in.

You're lying there, listening to the enemy machine guns and you know you're not getting out.
Your family is 1/2 way around the world, 12,000 miles away and you'll never see them again.
As the world starts to fade in and out, you know this is the day.

Then - over the machine gun noise - you faintly hear that sound of a helicopter..!!
You look up to see an un-armed Huey!! But.... it doesn't seem real because no Medi-Vac markings are on it.
Ed Freeman is coming for you..!!
He's not Medi-Vac so it's not his job, but he's flying his Huey down into the machine gun fire anyway. Even after the Medi-Vacs were ordered not to come.

He's coming anyway.
And he drops it in and sits there in the machine gun fire, as they load 2 or 3 of you on board.
Then he flies you up and out through the gunfire to the Doctors and Nurses.
And, he kept coming back...!! 13 more times..!!
He took about 30 of you and your buddies out who would never have gotten out.

Medal of Honor Recipient, Ed Freeman, died last Wednesday at the age of 80, in Boise, Idaho.
May God Rest His Soul.

I bet you didn't hear about this hero's passing, but we've sure seen a whole bunch about some freakish white-gloved singer passing..!!

Medal of Honor Winner
Ed Freeman!

Shame on the American Media..!!

George Rozak

Braidwood, Illinois USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2009 6:15 pm    

Great post Roger...

Fred Jack

Bastrop, Texas 78602
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2009 7:59 pm     Ed

May God have mercy on Ed's soul. A REAL AMERICAN HERO!

Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2009 9:56 pm    

RIP Ed Freeman. Above and beyond the call of duty. A true American hero. May GOD bless, comfort, and keep his family always. Jody.

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2009 11:03 pm    

I am a veteran, And if there is an Ed Freeman, then may God rest his soul. But in order to have been 80 years old in 2009, he would have had to have been born in 1929, rather than 1946, which would place him at at 19, in 1965. Do the math.
I can't say for sure, but I doubt that there are ANY 80-year old 'Nam vets.
So it makes for a good story, but it can't be true, using these numbers. This does a horrible disservice to The guys that DID die in the Nam, and to our country's vets.

Jude Reinhardt

Weaverville, NC
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2009 3:28 am     From About.Com

Ed Freeman, Medal of Honor Recipient
Netlore Archive
By David Emery, About.com
See More About:military urban legendsvietnam war
Sponsored Links
Military Caskets 80% Off
Ground Freight Free. Get in 9 Hours Open Nights & Weekends. Buy Now!
BestPriceCaskets.com
Free Military Records
Lookup Free Military Records On Anyone Right Now. Takes 5 Seconds!
Military.GovMilitaryRecords.com
Ia Drang Art Print
Hand signed by Hal Moore, Bruce Crandall, Basil Plumley & others!
www.ValorStudios.com
Urban Legends Ads
Urban Legends
Vietnam
Army Tape Test Liposuction
Medal of Honor Heroes
Military Guys
Circulating via forwarded email, a tribute to Vietnam War hero and Medal of Honor recipient Ed Freeman, who died at the age of 80 in Boise, Idaho on August 20, 2008.

Description: Forwarded email
Circulating since: Sep. 2008

Email example contributed by Dennis B., April 3, 2009:

Ed Freeman

You're an 19 year old kid. You're critically wounded , and dying in the jungle in the Ia Drang Valley , 11-14-1965, LZ X-ray, Vietnam . Your infantry unit is outnumbered 8 - 1, and the enemy fire is so intense, from 100 or 200 yards away, that your own Infantry Commander has ordered the MediVac helicopters to stop coming in.

You're lying there, listening to the enemy machine guns, and you know you're not getting out. Your family is 1/2 way around the world, 12,000 miles away, and you'll never see them again. As the world starts to fade in and out , you know this is the day.

Then, over the machine gun noise, you faintly hear that sound of a helicopter, and you look up to see an un-armed Huey, but it doesn't seem real, because no Medi-Vac markings are on it.

Ed Freeman is coming for you. He's not Medi-Vac, so it's not his job, but he's flying his Huey down into the machine gun fire, after the Medi-Vacs were ordered not to come.

He's coming anyway.

And he drops it in, and sits there in the machine gun fire, as they load 2 or 3 of you on board.

Then he flies you up and out through the gunfire, to the Doctors and Nurses.

And, he kept coming back.... 13 more times.....

And took about 30 of you and your buddies out, who would never have gotten out.

Medal of Honor Recipient , Ed Freeman , died last Wednesday at the age of 80, in Boise , ID ......May God rest his soul.....

I bet you didn't hear about this hero's passing, but we sure were told a whole bunch about some Hip-Hop Coward beating the crap out of his "girlfriend"

Medal of Honor Winner Ed Freeman!

Shame on the American Media

Comments: Judging from the closing sentences of the above message one could get the impression that the courageous life and quiet death of former Army Captain and Medal of Honor recipient Ed W. Freeman had been completely ignored by the media. Not so, as the partial list of news sources further down this page amply demonstrates.

Freeman passed away at the age of 80 on August 29, 2008 and was honored with obituaries in newspapers across the country.

In July 2001, some 36 years after the fact, Freeman, a helicopter pilot during the Vietnam War, had been awarded the nation's highest military honor for actions taken on November 14, 1965. The citation, presented by President Bush in a ceremony in the East Room of the White House, read as follows:

Captain Ed W. Freeman, United States Army, distinguished himself by numerous acts of conspicuous gallantry and extraordinary intrepidity on 14 November, 1965, while serving with Company A, 229th, Assault Helicopter Battalion, First Cavalry Division Air Mobil (ph).

As a flight leader and second in command of a 16-helicopter lift unit, he supported a heavily engaged American infantry battalion at landing zone X-ray in the Idrang Valley, Republic of Vietnam. The infantry unit was almost out of ammunition, after taking some of the heaviest casualties of the war, fighting off a relentless attack from a highly motivated, heavily armed enemy force.

When the infantry commander closed the helicopter landing zone, due to intense direct enemy fire, Captain Freeman risked his own life by flying his unarmed helicopter through a gauntlet of enemy fire, time after time, delivering critically needed ammunition, water and medical supplies to the Paceeds (ph) battalion.

His flights had a direct impact on the battle's outcome by providing the engaged units with timely supplies of ammunition critical to their survival without which they would almost surely have experienced a much greater loss of life. After medical evacuation helicopters refused to fly into the area, due to intense enemy fire, Captain Freeman flew 14 separate rescue missions, providing life- saving evacuation of an estimates 30 seriously wounded soldiers, some of whom would not have survived, had he not acted.

All flights were made into a small emergency landing zone within 100 to 200 meters of the defensive perimeter where heavily committed units were perilously holding off the attacking elements. Captain Freeman's selfless acts of great valor, extraordinary perseverance and intrepidity were far above and beyond the call of duty or mission and set a superb example of leadership and courage for all of his peers.

Captain Freeman's extraordinary heroism and devotion to duty are in keeping with the highest traditions of military service and reflect great credit upon himself, his unit and the United States Army.

"Man cannot live by bread alone, he must have Peanut Butter". - Kruger Bear

Skip Cole

North Mississippi
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2009 9:10 am    

I believe the 19 year old mentioned in the commendation was a wounded soldier that Ed Freeman removed from the red zone. Thank GOD that Ed was there that day. May the families of all KIA / MIA be blessed through faith in GOD and may Ed rest with HIM. My prayers go out to all the men and women of the Armed Forces, who protect this country every day.
God bless you all,
Skip

Fred Shannon

Rocking "S" Ranch, Comancheria, Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2009 10:20 am    

Well, there are not many of us left but I know of several VN vets that are in their late 70's and early 80's, myself included. Ed Freeman was real and he was awarded the Medal of Honor and if the media glorified his passing, it didn't raise too many eyebrows in this area of the country.

Just another GI gone to meet his maker. BTW there are hundreds, maybe thousands like Ed Freeman who braved withering fire to save US fighting men in VN. To all those guys thanks, especially to one Charlie Burris, helicopter dust off pilot, who gave his all in that God forsaken place.

phred

Think about it!!

Bill Duncan

Lenoir, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2009 10:39 am    

I am not an emotional person, but this made my eyes sweat!

We owe these folks everything we have. Without them our country would be lost.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2009 10:51 am    

In March of 2009, the United States Congress bestowed one more honor to Major Freeman. They designated the US Post Office in his place of birth McLain, Mississippi, the "Major Ed W. Freeman Post Office."

Rest in peace, Major Freeman, and thank you for your service to our country.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2009 10:57 am     Re: A True American Hero

Quote:
Date: Monday, July 20, 2009

Medal of Honor Recipient, Ed Freeman, died last Wednesday at the age of 80, in Boise, Idaho.
May God Rest His Soul.

I bet you didn't hear about this hero's passing, but we've sure seen a whole bunch about some freakish white-gloved singer passing..!!

Medal of Honor Winner
Ed Freeman!

Shame on the American Media..!!

The email is very misleading, as Major Freeman passed away on August 20, 2008. Connecting his death to Michael Jackson's is very disrespectful of Ed Freeman's memory, in my opinion.

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2009 11:38 am    

http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/freeman.asp

David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2009 11:48 am    

I total agree.......and I best stop there...R.I.P. Major Freeman..

Morgan Scoggins

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2009 12:28 pm    

Sadly we are losing so many of our Vets every day. I think the number of WW2 vets that die each day is now about 1200.
We are losing some of the greatest Americans and being left with leaders who have never served their country except to belly up to the public trough or stick their hands in someones pocket for their graft.
That is why this country is going to hell in a handbasket.
I am so sorry about Mr Freeman. I did not know him, but I have been upset all day long over the loss of such a great man.

Robbie Bossert

WESCOSVILLE,PA,U.S.A.
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2009 1:50 pm    

A true hero...Great post....RIP

Robbie Bossert

Frank Speights

Jackson, Ga USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2009 8:50 am    

I agree, we lost a true American Hero. I am a member of the Army Aviation Heritage Foundation in Hampton, Ga. We have a Huey at our Ozark, Alabama Chapter that was assigned to Company A, 229th Assault Helicopter Battalion, 1st Cavalry Division. I know someone who was with LTC Moore and the 7th Cav in the Ia Drang Valley. He said it was hell on earth, but thank God for pilots like Ed Freeman. Ed got the call to fly west, which is something we will all have to do someday

Jim Simon

Moses Lake, WA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2009 10:56 am    

Roger: Thank you for keeping this great hero, Maj Ed Freeman, and his selfless deeds fresh in our minds. I landed in country in March of 1966. During my tour of duty in Vietnam I heard many stories and accounts of situations not unlike Maj Freemans. As far as I am concerned all who served and took the fight to the enemy are heros. I had the priviledge of being in the same room with a Metal Of Honor winner at the Marine's Memorial Hall in San Francisco years back. A very emotional proud moment. I may not be as good as I once was but would gladly fight our country's fight with men like David and Phred standing shoulder to shoulder. Thanks again for reminding us why we have the priviledge of living as we do. God Bless Ed Freeman and all those who stood in the mud and blood of those jungles.

Jimmie Misenheimer

Bloomington, Indiana - U. S. A.
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2009 4:34 pm    

He wouldn't be the first Army vet that this old "tin can" sailor gave a U.S. NAVY salute to, and after 40 years I can damn sure still remember how to do it! Thank you Sir -- GOD SPEED... Jimmie

John Floyd

R.I.P.
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2009 7:34 pm    

b0b wrote:
Quote:
The email is very misleading, as Major Freeman passed away on August 20, 2008. Connecting his death to Michael Jackson's is very disrespectful of Ed Freeman's memory, in my opinion.

I totally agree!

Just sick of the spammers trying to connect our hero's to whatever message they want to convey to lend credibility. I get a number of emails every day with somebody trying to put some sort of message over to me.

If its a message about this great American Hero passing on then thats enough of a message in itself.

Don't try to connect it to the biased news media, Michael Jackson or some piece of crap beating the hell out of his girlfriend.

nuf said about that

Jimmie Misenheimer
Thank you for your service also
from another old Tin Can Sailor

Rodney Garrison

Montague County , Texas (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2009 6:31 am    

Thank you for sharing this story.
May God Bless America.

---Will Rogers---

Calvin Walley

colorado city colorado, USA