The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  opinion of dekley steel guitars
Bryan Daste

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2011 9:19 pm    

Pete Burak wrote:
I helped a guy set-up a red Deckley S10 3x5, and it was/is one great sounding Pedal Steel (that he got at an incedible price).

Hey Pete, I'm pretty sure I own that steel now! I bought it from Pat Munson. Great guitar...with a flight case I bought from Dave Grafe, it's my "flight" rig.

It also looks so cool that we used it in our band photo shoot. The red color really 'pops.'

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2011 6:58 am    

Yes, that is the steel.
Cool!.
That Dek sounded kick-azz when I had it here running thru the Stereo Steel rig.
Harley has a line on an Dekley Ext E9 S12 5x5... I suggested he contact you.

Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2011 9:37 am    

durable
heavy
solid
heavy
easy to maintain
heavy
easy to modify
heavy
great tone
heavy
stays where you put it
heavy

Dallas Cheked

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2011 10:06 am    

Georg Sørtun wrote:
Dallas Cheked wrote:
You don't need metal necks to get clarity out of a Dekley. I certainly wouldn't mind owning one.

Smile
Now - as of two days ago - I got two, and this one will not get aluminum necks since it - quite correctly - doesn't need 'em.

This D10 seem to have just slightly less sustain and a hair more detuning than the modded S10 I have back in Norway, so I will leave it as is on top.

Will add one pedal and a vertical lever though - got original Dekley parts, just to get the upper neck closer to the copedant I'm used to.

Strange that people want these Dekley PSGs but don't buy one when they're available. I have bought two Dekleys in the last year and a half here on the forum, and let a few pass me by. I have also sold one through the forum.

I'm sure glad I got this D10. It's a great-sounding good-looking show-piece, and I don't think it is the least heavy - just steady. And ... it's black Cool
Fourth black Dekley I'd seen. They seem to be rare. Nearly all others were blonde, rosewood, or blonde with rosewood necks, unless refinished. I liked Jeff Newman's Dekley S-12 Universal that was refinished in red lacquer. Tom Bradshaw restored a Dekley and refinished it in hot pink with black chrome. A real head-turner. The important things I really like about the Dekley is that the mechanics were almost identical to the MSA's of that era. Some of the parts might even interchange. The knee levers were wide and comfortable, also comfortably placed and reachable. I had a Dekley in mind when my EMCI popped up at a price too good to resist. If I had the do-re-mi, I would aggressively seek out one of these fine guitars once again. Dekley is unfortunately a "dark horse" in the steel guitar world and shouldn't be. They were some of the most intellegently designed and solidly built steel guitars ever made in addition to being one of the best sounding.
EMCI D-10 Steel 8+6, Peavey Nashville 400, Fender Twin Reverb, Stelling Staghorn Banjo,Vintage Premier Banjo, Dobro D-60 and F60S Squarenecks, Fender Stratocaster, Boss RV-5, DD2,GE7, Goodrich SteelDriver II.

chas smith

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2011 11:04 am    

I bought a D-12 from Herb Remington in 1987 and it weighed around 100lbs, in the case. I made some changes, including aluminum necks for it. I also liked blue pin striping, a lot.

The guitar was "remade" for the "metal" kinds of bands I was working with and I removed the peds and knees.

Then I added a 7 string bass neck. The front neck is tuned, E B E E(F#) G# A B C# E G# D# F#. The C neck is the "power chord" neck, all C's and G's with C D E G on top. The bass neck is A's and E's and I'm a P5 below the bass guitar.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2011 12:01 pm    

Chas
You don't simply think "outside the box." You destroy the box, dismantle it, and use the salvageable parts to create a cylinder.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Jerry Dragon

Gate City Va.
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2021 8:31 am    

Here is my Deckley S10 4 pedals 5 knees. Can't remember who I bought it from. I am still a modest beginner. I had no idea what they were worth or how good they were, just what I read and the price was right. I also prefer a natural finish and that was the icing on the cake. I have no idea how old it is. I would say it is about 75lbs in the case?

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2021 9:15 am    

There no better than a BMI BUT BOTH BMI An Dekley are two of my favorite pedal steels.
BMI IS STILL IN BUSINESS AN PARTS YOU MIGHT NEED IS AVAILABLE

That's the reason I prefer BMI

AN THE BMI STEELS ARE A FEW POUNDS LIGHTER THAN THE DEKLEY.

Price wise a used BMI OR DEKLEY ARE PRICED USED ABOUT THE SAME.

I'm in the Market for a used D 10 BMI

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2021 9:17 am    

Chase those Dekley steels you have are practical an beautiful"!!!