The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  BIAB System Requirements
Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2009 12:49 am    

I've read several posts about guys buying BIAB only to find out their computer can't handle it. Here are the system requirements that I copied from PGmusic's website.

"Band-in-a-Box runs on Windows 98/NT/ME/2000/XP/Vista, and requires a minimum of 256MB available RAM. Without RealDrums or RealTracks, you need a minimum of 300MB (for the Pro version), 500 MB (for the MegaPAK/SuperPAK versions), or 1 GB (for the UltraPAK version) of free space on your hard disk. More hard disk space is required for the RealTracks and RealDrums, about 100 MB for each RealDrums Set and 1 GB for each RealTracks Set. A MIDI sound source is required. This could be a sound card, a MIDI keyboard, MIDI sound module, or software synthesizer. We include a software synthesizer (Roland VSC-DXi) with Band-in-a-Box".

Now they do offer the UltraPak on an 80 GB external HD at no extra charge.

John McGlothlin

Post  Posted 6 Jul 2009 2:11 pm    

I won't be able to advance any on the newer versions because this computer is about on its last leg...these things just don't last long at all anymore and then ya have to install all sorts of anti virus things to protect em and then your not even guarenteed to be protected.

Last edited by John McGlothlin on 15 Jul 2009 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2009 2:19 pm    

It should be noted that to do basic rhythm tracks with piano, bass, drums. You don't need too much computer processing power, or hard drive space. It's the Real Band add ons that require this. I don't know that most people would have reason to use them anyway. I've never used any of them, except the real drums.

We don't want to scare anyone away from BIAB because they think they'll have to invest in a new computer. The one I run my BIAB on is probably 6 or 8 years old, and it does super.