The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sam Butera......... August 17, 1927 – June 3, 2009
Danny Crelin

Wylie, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2009 7:20 am    

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2009/jun/03/jazz-saxophonist-sam-butera-dies/

Amazing talent, and Prima's right arm for nearly 30 years...

Adios my friend.

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2009 9:32 am    

Absolutely love Prima's band! Sam could definitely play.

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2009 11:43 am    

Oh, Marie! Gonna miss Sam Butera.

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2009 2:01 pm    

Here are a couple of my favorite instrumentals by Sam, the first with the Prima band, the second a solo recording.

Come Back To Sorrento

On The Street Where You Live

Recently, I have been thinking about the musicians/bands/groups that I have never seen that I dearly wish I could have seen in their prime. One of the top 5 would surely be Louis Prima and Keely Smith, with Sam Butera and The Witnesses in the Sahara Hotel lounge, say 1958--to see something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfbKSPx0lF4

My kingdom for a time machine.

robert kramer

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2009 4:57 am    

There are two great DVD biographies on Louis Prima available on Netfix with must-see footage of Prima and the Witnesses w/ Keely Smith and Sam Butera.

New York Times Obit:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/05/arts/music/05butera.html?ref=music

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2009 6:57 am    

For most of my life I was aware of Prima only as an goomba cornball "moon in the sky, big pizza pie" entertainer.
It wasn't until I saw a bio on PBS several years ago (very likely the same bio as Robert lists above) that I learned how little I knew and learned how huge a star he was. And how good he was. He was the guy that the Sinatras et al went to see on the strip.
The footage of his act with the band and with Keely Smith are hilarious and they rock & swing hard. And Butera is such an essential part of it.
I tip my hat.

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2009 7:10 am    

A little OT, but if you get a chance to pick up some early Louis Prima and his New Orleans Gang circa 1934, you will hear him playing his butt off on some sessions recorded in NYC with George Van Eps on guitar and Claude Thornhill on piano. Really great stuff.

Check out this cut: Jamaica Shout

Pete Finney

Nashville Tn.
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2009 8:27 am    

I was lucky enough to see "Sam Butera and the Witnesses" at various lounges in Las Vegas in the 80's and 90's quite a bit, three horns and a rhythm section; jump-blues and shuffle heaven with some standards thrown in...

I wasn't aware of Butera before that but I'd been talking to Danny Gatton and told him I had a few week-long Vegas gigs coming up and he told me I had to check this guy out; "He's the white Louis Jordan"! Not a bad description; great musician and a great entertainer. After that I always checked to see if he was playing whenever I was there...

I've seen one of those Louis Prima documentaries and it was well worth seeking out...

Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2009 10:43 pm    

My favorite Sam Butera quote was when someone asked him a few years ago in an interview: "How's your love life at your age?" and he replied: "Like shootin' pool with a rope!"

Bobby Caldwell

St. Louis, Missouri, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2009 10:46 am    

What a talent he was. He was always a great entertainer as well. They don't make like Sam any more. He will be missed. RIP. Bobby

Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2009 5:11 pm    

As one of the relatively very few steelers on this forum (or elsewhere) that play tenor saxophone as well as steel, I can add I have never seen or heard a horn man quite like Sam Butera either. I had the good fortune to hear his band about 20 years ago in a small club right near my home and it was a treat I'll never forget.
Dynamics, crescendos, great melodies and solos, all to a swing beat .....
Oh and did I mention showmanship?
RIP Sam.

Michael Breid

Eureka Springs, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2009 4:21 pm    

Prima had a basic ending to most of his songs just like Basie. If you're working with anyone who knew Prima's stuff all you had to say was, "We'll end with a Prima ending", and everyone was hip. Prima and Butera. What a great combination. Was listening to some Prima on the easy listening station last night and wondered what ever happened to Sam. Now I know. RIP Mr. Sam.

Rich Peterson

Moorhead, MN
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2009 8:23 am    

I had no idea that Butera was still around. I remember vividly watching footage on early TV of Prima, Smith and Butera and being thrilled at the energy. (And amazed at Keely's ability to maintain her deadpan expression in spite of the mania surrounding her!) Showmanship and playing their butts off.

Never see entertainers like that anymore; the young kids are too selfconcious to let their hair down. (Except for Joe Wright, of course.)

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2009 9:53 am    

Rich Peterson wrote:
Never see entertainers like that anymore; the young kids are too selfconcious to let their hair down. (Except for Joe Wright, of course.)

I let my hair down years ago. Now, if I could only remember where I left it... Whoa!