The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How D'Ya Do Chord Chart
Paul DiMaggio

Fort Nelson, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2013 7:01 am    

Well, I got to digging around in cyberspace for a few hours last night and could not find a copy of the original sheet music. I did, however , find a song list for Lew Pollack's Songwriter Hall of Fame induction page. It lists the song with the apostrophe ahead of the D, as on the records. The other thing I found was that the phrase was possibly pidgin. It seems the beach boys, as they were called, found that speaking proper English lowered your score with haole wahines so they spoke pidgin, which supposedly reversed the low score trend. If that is true, the rules for English can be set adrift off the shores of Waikiki, so to speak.
I know nothing about copyright rules concerning music, but if you listed the true authors would it matter how you spelled the song titles?

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2013 7:57 am    

An ASCAP search for Andy Iona - writer - yields the following:

A BMI search of the Tilte comes up with this:

Paul DiMaggio

Post  Posted 21 Jul 2013 9:13 am    

In the Pollack page of Songwriters HoF,they listed Bienstock Music, Quartet Music Inc. and Lew Pollack music as publishers. I don't understand how that part of the business works. There is some info on Bienstock, it may be Carlin Music now. For Quartet I found nothing, and Lew Pollack Music has a ceo but seems inactive. I'm assuming that it is like other lines of business, little guys get gobbled up by bigger guys etc.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2013 9:44 am    

It's important to keep in mind that copyright protection does not extend to song Titles. It's possible that there is another song titled How D You Do, or How Do You Do? or How'd Ya Do other some other similar title registered. If so, the songs could be completely different, different style of music, written years apart. For example, there were five hit songs titled "Call Me". Different songs, styles, eras. Obviously we can recognize the song How D'Ya Do when we hear it, but when searching text on line we may think we are reading about a certain song, but the information could be referring to a different song, same title.

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2013 11:13 am    

Irrespective of anything else, there can be no question as to the original title as per the composers..

Although the label states "Ben Kalama's Islanders", it's basically the Hawaii Calls ensemble.

NOTE the spelling on the single is the same as Andy Iona's, BUT the Capitol “Waikîkî ” T772 uses the "How D'ya Do" spelling on the sleeve BUT the correct spelling on the record label ?

I must take a picture of the label on the original Andy Iona 78. It also states How'd Ya Do..
QED

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2013 11:26 am    

I can understand how there could be a legitimate mix-up with the title, the comma, where to place it, etc. In fact, every time I type out this title I have to look up the "correct" way to do it! And after reading this thread I don't know what the "correct" way is anymore! Cool I first heard and learned the Byrd version, the intro, the spelling, so that's what I use.

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2013 11:59 am    

Strangely enough Makana on their album "Kiho'alu - Journey of Hawaiian Slack Key" spell it the composer's way..
Andy's version is spelled correctly on the 78 but incorrectly on the iTunes version ?

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2013 12:17 pm    

It's interesting that the placement of comma can make difference in the meaning: (as stated previously)

HOW'D YA DO = "how did you do?"

HOW D'YA DO = "how do you do?"

I'm reminded of an article I read many years ago about comma placement. The example given was a telegram regarding the release of a prisoner. I don't remember the details, but there was just one sentence in the telegram, and if the comma was placed after a certain word, the sentence would mean "release the prisoner". But if the comma was placed after a different word, the sentence would mean "do not release the prisoner"!

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2013 12:26 pm    

Or even HOW'D YA DO "How would you do" Evil or Very Mad

Paul DiMaggio

Post  Posted 23 Jul 2013 9:17 am    

When I typed the title into iTunes with the apostrophe ahead of the D I got, Gabby, Makana, Jim West and Midnight Serenaders spelled like that. All the rest, including one gentleman called "Basil Hendricks" on an album called My Guitars and I, were spelled with the apostrophe behind the D. I also became aware that iTunes has a separate store for the USA and Canada. Never did find Andy Iona"s version on the Canadian store.

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2013 12:28 pm    

Yes Paul, I must confess that title typo was before I knew any better..