The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New guy here- Which steel to buy??
Scott Redding

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2009 10:41 am    

Hey Everyone,
I'm a newbie here- and new to pedal steel- I've been playing lap steel for a few years and I'm almost ready to make the jump, financially that is.

I've played 6 stringers in fairly standard tunings- E, D, so I'm not that well versed in the other tunings yet. Should I jump into a 10 or 12 string? What tuning is the best overall or best to start on? I DO know I want a quality steel- I do NOT want a beginner, unless its a quality unit- I do play live and will be using it almost immediately- I know I have a lot to learn, but I figure I might as well jump in head first! I am not, however, ready to spend $2k on a pedal- I'd appreciate ANY information on what you think I should start on- specifially, makes and models, how many strings, how many foot and knee levers should be on the models, which tuning is going to be the most beneficial for me (I play more of a bluesy, country rock style) and I'd like to limit my purchase to $1500 tops- I'd MUCH rather get into something nice around $1K, if that's even possible.

THANK YOU!!!

Steve English

Baja, Arizona
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2009 1:36 pm    

Buy this one:

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=144813

Dwight Lewis

Huntsville, Alabama
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2009 11:23 pm     New Pedal Steel

Scott check your mail.

Dwight ijaash@yahoo.com

Scott Redding

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2009 6:20 am    

Hey guys- thank you for the replies so far! Keep 'em coming- I am ready to buy something- but I really need to see what's out there before I make the "jump", if you know what I mean. I want to get something that I can grow into, but not something too extravagant.
THANKS!!! I like this place!!

Brick Spieth

San Jose, California, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2009 3:17 pm    

I went through this about a year ago. This was my experience. I was kindly loaned a Carter Starter for several months. It has what you need to get started on the cheap, but was what it was, which is a built to a price point non adjustable guitar. I bought a Stage One which was a nice guitar (around $1000) that I could have played for quite a while. It was still not adjustable which IMHO is not an issue for a beginner. I got the bug bad with the Stage One, knew I'd keep at it, so found a clean EMCI SD10.

In hindsight I'd do what you plan on and get a pro guitar. If you check out the classifieds here, you will see that the closer you get to $1500 you will have more options. At that price point you should get something very well built in an S10 with 3 pedals and four levers. That MCI above would be just the ticket for you. What a newbie needs is solid guitar that stays in tune. Don't be afraid to make adjustments in pedal height and how the levers engage as you progress. Small adjustments can make a big difference in how a guitar plays.

If you are concerned about getting a steel that needs a lot of work, paying a bit more and buying from a dealer will give you a lot of peace of mind, which is what I did. I would be way more confident buying on my own now.

Almost any guitar built in the last 20 years will work for you.

Ben Elder

La Crescenta, California, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2009 5:28 pm    

BMIs tend to be very affordable, great sounding, easy to work on and don't always command high prices. (I have an S-12 for sale now but I wouldn't particularly recommend it for a beginner--10 strings are plenty at first.) You could get a lotta lotta BMI for $1500 and possibly even for $1000.

Daniel J. Cormier

Lake Charles, LA, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2009 7:13 pm    

I'm with Steve, That MCI S-10 is the best deal on here as far as tone nad playablity.

Joseph Barcus

Volga West Virginia
Post  Posted 1 May 2009 9:16 pm    

if you buy something to cheap it will drive you away from wanting to play a pedal steel. also if you buy student models the value drops 40% soon as you get it where as you stand a better chance to recover more if you buy a pro model think of it as a investment. !warning stay away from student models just my 3 1/2 cents worth. also if it dont have a case you dont want it.

Dwight Lewis

Huntsville, Alabama
Post  Posted 1 May 2009 11:07 pm     pedal steel

Joseph is right. I started with a Carter starter Sad and quickly sold it, too frail, non adjustable, Bought a GFI Very Happy loved it. Got an MSA Very Happy , love it also. These are just 2 brands that can be adjusted to whatever you want without damaging any wood or anything like that. And the tone is primo on these. So the moral is Go Pro Bro.

Dwight \
ijaash@yahoo.com

Jimmie Martin

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2009 11:34 am     guitar

Try www.steelguitar.net and ask for Bobbe Seymour or Dan and they will fix you up right. They treat people special especially if you ar starting out. They did me and a whole lot of other people over the years. Very Happy