The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Vern Gosdin Gone
Chuck Huffman

Sonora, California, Now Living in Siloam Springs, Ar. USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2009 5:02 pm    

Such sad news to hear Of Vern passing on. When I listen to his voice you can't help but truly feel and live the lyrics. He sang from the heart he will be missed. Vern was one of very few singers that painted the picture for you with his voice and style. He's joined that ever growing choir in heaven. May our Father God in Heaven bless his family and friends,

Chuck

Jack Stanton

Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2009 5:15 pm    

One of the greats who never received the recognition he deserved.
Rest in peace, Vern.

John P. Phillips

Folkston, Ga. U.S.A., R.I.P.
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2009 6:51 pm    

So many of our favorites are leaving us. I truly hate to read this. I just saw this post tonight. Memory takes me back to a time that I saw Vern perform at a place near the Ga-Fla. boarder called "The Stateline Bar " He tore the house up that night. I got a chance to meet him after the first set while he was resting on his bus. He was a very gracious host to me. I must relate this also, Vern was an entertainer who appreciated and respected the D.J's Even us small market pigeons as well as the big boys.
R.I.P. Vern, nobody will be able to fill your shoes ! Sad Crying or Very sad

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2009 8:28 pm    

Another one of the real deal country singers gone. "The Voice" RIP

Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2009 4:23 am    

Michael Douchette wrote:
Man, this one really hurts... Crying or Very sad

Michael you are right, Iheard the news this morning around 4:00, I was listening to WSM, when the overnight guy announced it. I was at work, so I couldn't let my feelings show. I lettin' go now.
I cried when ET passed away back in '84 and my first wife didn't understand why. I'm at home now. Vern was one of my favorites, his voice was so smooth. and country. Something that's needed today.Him, Hag,and Possum.:cry2: Vern you are in my prayers. I wasn't born when Hank passed, but mama told that daddy cried too. To me Vern was just as big as Hank Williams. It's like what Ol' Possum asked in that song about,"Whose Gonna Fill Their Shoes?"
Tommy Shown

Charley Adair

Maxwell, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2009 6:14 am    

"That Just About Does It" 'nuff said

Cameron Tilbury

Peterborough, England, UK
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2009 7:51 am    

Really sad news. When I was a radio announcer at 820 CHAM in the early 80s, Vern was riding the charts (Janie Fricke doing the harmonies). That was my first job on air and I used to love backselling his songs and saying, "and kicking off that set, The Voice, Vern Gosdin."

A life filled with great songs.

John Davis

Cambridge, U.K.
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2009 8:37 am    

What a loss to real country music! R.I.P. he will be missed Sad

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2009 8:52 am    

Super voice with lot's of emotion. I believe he was George Jone's favorite singer! I remember him from the old days in SoCal when he was in the bluegrass scene. He and his brother Rex played with a couple of the local groups on TV, most notably the Golden State Boys and the Blue Diamond Boys. Vern played mandolin and Rex played the upright bass. They were noted then for doing Louvin Brothers things. Rex always played the bass with gloves on. Vern had a great voice even then...........JH in Va.

Jim Simon

Moses Lake, WA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2009 9:00 am    

Tough tough loss. Rebecca & I used Vern's "First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" in our wedding ceremony. Not even Merle or George has the voice inflection that Vern used in his soulful deliveries. His songs reflect the sadness of his life's experience. "Alone" tells volumes. Vern is at peace now. Thank God.

Sam White

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2009 5:48 pm    

Sorry to hear that Vern is gone .I enjoyed his singing. God Blees.
Sam white

Sam White

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2009 5:48 pm    

Sorry to hear that Vern is gone .I enjoyed his singing. God Blees.
Sam white

Russ Hicks

Pegram, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2009 5:55 pm    

He was indeed one in a million....I'm thankful for the few times I shared his bandstand, and many times his friendship. I think maybe Chiseled is his most popular song, or maybe Set em' up Joe, with Big Jim on steel, or maybe Hangin' On; there are SO many to choose from, but for me the epitomy of what a country song should say and sound like, my all-time favorite, now and forever, is 'If You're Gonna Do Me Wrong, Do It Right'.
We'll miss him, but I know Who he sings for now.
rh

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2009 6:03 pm    

And back in the day with his brother Rex, they were responsible for some of the early stuff that could be called Country Rock. When they were here in California they did a number of things with Byrds members Chris Hillman, Gene Clark, and Clarence White.

I have an excellent CD compilation of the Gosdin Brothers with a lot of Clarence on guitar.

RIP Vern, thanks for the beautiful music.

I started a thread about this when I heard the news over on the Jerry Douglas Forum, and here is what Jerry posted:

Quote:
So sad. I really enjoyed cutting some great songs with Vern. He really loved what he did.

Tommy Oliver

Tuscumbia, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2009 12:54 am    

Very sad news we have lost another great artist in the world of country music. Sherron and I
spent Thanksgiving day with Vern in 2005 a day we both will treasure and I had the honor and privlidge of working with him on a couple of shows that same year. Our prayers are with his family and friends.

Tommy and Sherron

Shorty Smith

Columbus, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2009 12:40 pm    

Sad news to hear Vern passed, He was my favorite country voice. He could sing a country song better than anyone I have know, We will sure miss his style of music, our condolence to his family, Shorty

Jack Sperry

Umatilla,Florida
Post  Posted 1 May 2009 4:22 pm    

Very sad news. R.I.P. Vern. I never got the chance to meet you one on one, but I played your music offten. Your voice was so great. When I first started listing to you I knew then there was a sound you could listen to for ever. Being a big fan of Hank Williams and I still sing a lot of his songs, I think you will be followed as well with all the great songs you recorded. I somewhat fill empty that I never made it to your concerts. God Bless,

Skeeter Stultz

LOMITA, California, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2009 8:11 pm    

The voice is silenced but not forgotten. I remember he and his brother when they were booked in the Foothill. I did some lead sheets for them. I'm sure there are a lot of good recordings by him but the one that stands out for me is "If you're gonna do me wrong do it right".That's country. He'll be missed by a bunch of us.

Dave Harmonson

Seattle, Wa
Post  Posted 3 May 2009 8:09 am    

I just heard the sad news today. I can only reiterate, one of the best is gone. I've had many favorites from Vern, but I think "Do You Believe Me Now?" might be at the top of the list.

Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2009 9:32 am    

Our band did a musical tribute to Vern Friday night, as I am sure many of you did this weekend. Vern
was like Gene Watson, in that when you start considering the great songs, you begin to be amazed by how many there are. And then you ask yourself the question, Were these songs THAT good, or did HE
make them that good?

John Rickard

Phoenix (It's A Dry Heave) AZ
Post  Posted 3 May 2009 9:45 am    

Sad
Very Sad. We'll miss him.
JR

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 3 May 2009 10:45 am    

I'm getting to the point where I don't like to look at this forum too often - too much bad news lately. Vern was a great singer and influenced a lot of people coming from different directions. He will be missed indeed.

Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2009 8:19 am    

Gosh, I've stayed away from here too long this time. I hadn't heard this.

Vern has always been one of my favorites. Nice to see Rob Parker's note on "Baby That's Cold" just below Michael Ducette's posting. As I recall, "Mikey" was all over that album on PSG. I'll have to fire up my Vern Gosdin collection when I get home.

May he rest in peace.

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2009 7:24 am    

This is truly a monster loss for Country music..I also am ever proud to have met and worked a date with Vern..One funny moment happened at an amusement park I worked at for many summers..We were doing our thing on a different stage but I Mc'd the stage shows and we shared the trailer to dress in..The park manager asked if I would keep an eye out for Verns bus and let him in the gate to the trailer..When the bus arrived I was surprised to see it was Vern himself behind the wheel..Certainly a lot of people do Country Music wrong..Vern always did it right.

Tommy Young

Ethelsville Alabama
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2009 11:17 am    

Such a loss he was truely one of the best voices in the business, my condolences to his family and many friends.