The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This forum section is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. I.S.G.C. Forum Revived for 2009
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  I.S.G.C. Forum Revived for 2009
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2009 4:01 pm    

I've revived this forum for 2009, and locked most of the topics from last year to avoid confusion.

Please post your ISGC topics here instead of in Event Announcements. Thanks.

Last edited by b0b on 16 Jun 2009 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Don Lanier

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2009 4:53 pm     ISGC Memories

Although Ive not been coming near as long as many of you, I have some fond memories of the ISGC's and people and things I would like to share.

The year we did the thing with Laney where all of the greats were on that stage, I was in awe of who these gentlemen were and what they represented, The Miles theyve traveled, Times theyve shared, Good and Bad, History thats been made and recorded, Frankly I was scared to death that If I didnt get this right, I might be skinned....But they were gracious and gave me the courtesy of co operating, The show was great, The DVD is made and frankly that was a highlight in my Music career....

Johnny Bush and Big E You guys gave me chills as you played those songs and sang about the Lost Highway, I know youve lived that life and seen those miles out the windows of many a bus, Van and Truck.
You guys make History everytime your together and brining it to the ISGC was a great moment for me, Ive been a fan for a long time of Western Swing, and there been times I didnt know the Artists, But Johnny its been a pleasure seeing you in person, Country Gentlemen fits....I hope well see you and Big E together again soon.

Papa John Hughey I never met till the ISGC and the year before he passed I talked with him a little bit, he was a gentle giant among steel players, a more personable man is hard to find, Humble and yet so so skilled at making those string go to Hughey land.

Don Helms and his Singing Cowboy, I remember looking out at the room and seeing people effected by the music emotionally as this young man sang and Don played the ghostly notes of days gone by, I hear those notes still his picking was of a style that seems was frozen in time, frozen on record and yet here it was, that was a time I had the hairs standing on my arms, eerie yet you knew a moment in time being rarely replayed.

Ive had many wives sitting in the booth with us, Roy Rosetta, Paul Polish and others who always keep me abreast of changes and things I need to know, But when I first started there were a couple wives who sat RIGHT BEHIND ME, I knew if the sound wasnt right there were going to knee me or elbow me, LOL, I hope Ive been able to represent your husbands well, Overall Ive met some great people there, Bill Ferguson is a great guy, Helper, and has helped us graciously, Bill I always look forward to your company and the onslaught of Candy, Snacks, Cakes , Cookies...A sugar buzz is had by all in the Sound and recording booth.

ISGC There is no other job I have thats like this, Scotty is a great boss who really never trys to be a boss, But we work hard to make him happy, Hes a great boss and freind as the whole family is very good folks, Stony, Rob, Roy, Bobby, Paul, Miss Lana, All of the band guys, and others and I dont want to leave anyone out because I could name the entire room and say there are no stranger's there, Its the most family freindly event Ive ever worked.

The Music may be of days gone by, But I dont believe that either, That music is NEVER going to be forgotten, Many of us listen to it daily and I believe Radio and these so called radio programmers dont get it that there is a huge auduence of the gretest generation still wanting to hear this music, its time they were given some radio time and not be relegated to the dusty shelves. This IS the best music ever recorder and should be heard on the radio today.
(Sorry Ranting)

ISGC Memories, What are your best moments
I do hope that more great moments come in the years to come.
https://www.facebook.com/Pearlprocase

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 May 2009 8:51 am    

Hi Don, I just wanted to say how much I appreciated your comments. Like many musicians, my working years prevented me from attending the ISGC because I was comitted somewhere, and I needed to work to support my family.

I eventually attended my first and only ISGC the year that my friend Jody Carver was inducted into the Steel Guitar Hall of Fame. It was a humbling experience, hearing the tremendously talented players on the ISGC stage. The experience is firmly implanted in the memories that comprise my career in the music business. I met many of the greats of whom I have sweated to copy their sounds for their fans.

The ISGC is the "gold-standard" for the preservation of original country music. May Scottie the founder, be forever credited for his insight in the establishing of the ISGC.

Gene Jones
www.genejones.com

David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 19 May 2009 6:31 pm    

Two highlights of my two ISGC's were meeting Jody and Gene!

Not to mention a cast of thousands...
Been too many years since I go there last.
But the memories still are sharp!

Real happiness has no strings attached.
But pedal steels have many!

Rob Parker

Paducah, Kentucky, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 20 May 2009 9:37 am    

Mr Don,
Thank you so much for the compliments to us all. You have helped make the sound a great asset of the ISGC. Without it ,we would not be able to help create a memorable show for the fans.
And kudos to you, your staff ,and volunteers for the help,cooperation,dedication and expertise you bring to the 'sound booth'.
Looking forward to another super show in St Louis again this year. And as always, there are sure to be some surprises to thrill the artists,and the fans.
See you soon Mr Don.
RP...'come on in'...

Judith Whiting

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2009 8:18 pm     2008 My First International Steel Convention:

THANK YOU SCOTTY for the greatest convention I have
ever been too. I had the awesome opportunity to
hear steel players and the music I love live! I was
with Bill Stafford, Matsuao Fujii, John Heinrich, with the Excel Exhibit and performances. All great
musicians, and Matsuo is the designer also of Excel.
Met the big man himself SCOTTIE! thanked him then and
I am personally thanking him now.Tom Brumbley phew
met him once in California with Buck. I probably have
the last picture taken of Tom also. Doug Jerrigan, Jim Cohen, and so many more great players and the
MUSIC. didn't want it to end.
The hotel was FANTASTIC, and got a good rate to stay
right there. ROOM WITH A VIEW folks in the ninth floor smokers, but if you don't smoke rent it anyway
Open the drapes and WALLA! FULL VIEW OF THE ARCH!

This was a weekend of my dreams and am so looking
forward to seeing you all again THIS YEAR.

Judy Whiting
www.lilacmoonproductions.com

Lisa Dey Creative Images
music production, demo and master recording,creative imaging,artist
management,songwriter consulting
www.lilacmoonproductions.com
www.nashvillemusicpros.com/profile/judywhiting
www.myspace.com/lilacmoonproductions
www.myspace.com/moodyjudymuzik
www.jpfolks.com Judy Whiting
www.mycountryspace.com/judylilacmoon
www.calmusicians.ning.com/profile/JudyWhiting

DeWitt Scott

St. Louis, Missouri, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2009 10:04 pm     Convention Sound

I really appreciate the comments by Don Lanier of Pearl Sound Productions. His comments reminds me of a page I always put in the Convention Souvenir Program titled "The International Steel Guitar Convention Touches So Many Lives In So Many Different Ways." If you that been to the Convention and bought a program and have read that page you will surely agree that statement is very true. Old sweethearts meet after many years of seperation, plus much much more. 2008 was one of the best sounds we ever had and I believe that this year, 2009, will be even better. Don is very dedicated to the Convention and that is a big plus in our favor. Thanks Don! Scotty

Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2009 12:55 pm    

I agree Scotty. That is why the ISGC in St. Louis is called the SUPER BOWL! And I'm very thankful to be a small part of it. And Don, Thanks for your hard work during the "Operation Russless" set in 2006. That was a highlight for me also. It's hard to believe what Randy Beavers started as a joke turned out to become. And I was glad to be in on it from the ground floor. That 90 minutes of my life in St. Louis will be etched in my memory forever. Smile

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2009 11:10 am    

Scotty-I want to personally thank you for all your inspiration and efforts for starting this Steel Convention and the work and improvements you have built into it over the years.

I was with you in 1976 when you had the great Maurice Anderson for the first time. And in 1977 when Zane Beck introduced a Kid named Randy Beavers.

I wish I could have been there every year, but due to my commitments here at home , I have been unable to attend. But I will be there in spirit and listening to your great Steel Radio. Thanks again...al.Smile Very Happy Cool

My Email.. almarcus@cmedic.net
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus