The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bill Simmons passed away
Tommy Dodd

Acworth, Ga., USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2009 8:39 am    

Laney,
Thank you so much for so eloquently saying my thoughts and feelings about Bill.

He was such a rare person that was put into all our lives. Bill was always a joy to be around and his contagious smile would overwhelm you too if you spent more than 2 minutes in conversation with him. Of all the times I was with him I never heard any discouraging or negative remarks come from his lips. Always with an uplifting spirit and character, he was a man to be admired and revered in his manners, his words, his actions, and his faith.

Go with God and rest in peace my friend. You will be truly missed....

Johnny Cox

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2009 8:50 am    

Joan and I are mourning our brother today. Laney painted a perfect picture of Bill's life. He was and even in death will remain to be a true friend to many. He touched many lives. When I moved to Texas Bill reached out to me as though I was part of his family. He found me a place to live within two weeks. Bill's heavenly home will be glorious. Our prayers are for his family and hundreds of friends. Rest in the peace of God my friend.

Johnny & Joan

Mike Cass

Post  Posted 13 Apr 2009 10:36 am    

Im so sorry to hear about Bill's passing. Ive known Bill since the early 70's up in the midwest when he worked with the Lundstroms. Bill was always a fine gentleman and player and very humble about his talents and gifts. I'll not forget his hospitality when I was passing through Ft. Worth late one evening as well. My condolences to Bill's family and friends. He will be missed.

Greg Simmons

where the buffalo (used to) roam AND the Mojave
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2009 10:57 am    

My heartfelt condolences to Bill's family & friends; we shared the same surname though weren't "officially" related, but that didn't stop us from greeting each other with a laugh and a "hey, cousin, how ya doin'?!" at the steel shows we'd see each other at.

Godspeed Bill.

Doc Rickles

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2009 11:17 am     Our Great Loss, His Great Gain

This wonderful example of God's love walking and communicating in this earth to us is gone to be with Jesus. He exemplified the character and nature of the Lord more than any person I have ever known.
Never heard him say a bad word about anybody.It was all good and encouraging. He was "The Man" in showing love and understanding to all of us. He could be called the "peacemaker".
And by the way he was a great steeler.
Our prayer and comfort to all his family and loved ones.
In His Name,
Doc and Ginny Rickles

Jim Walker

Headland, AL
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2009 11:31 am    

Everyone has pretty much told the story of what kind of person Bill was. The only thing left for me to say is I'll miss him very much.

My thoughts and prayers to Bill's family.

JW

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2009 12:18 pm    

Sorry to hear this and want to send our sympathy to family and friends!

May GOD comfort his family and close friends at this time!

Terry and Lisa Wood

Ronnie Miller

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2009 1:45 pm    

Jerry Fessenden just told me about Bill, I am in shock.
Bill was a very kind person, and will be greatly missed by all who knew him...I am sad...RIP my friend....Ronnie & Ginger

Rob Parker

Paducah, Kentucky, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2009 1:45 pm    

Another sad,sad day,
My earnest prayers for Mr Bill's family. He was a great friend, and I feel fortunate to have known him.You shall be missed by so very many. Your smile, attitude, and your help and encouragement to others make you a treasure for so many people.
Rest in peace my friend..
RP...'come on in'...

Charlie Tryon

Glovertown Newfoundland, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2009 3:12 pm    

We spend quite a bit of time with Bills mom and dad and we will be doing every thing we can when they get back to Canada , to help them try and get through this very hard time. Bill was also a very good friend of ours. He was the most loving, caring individual we have ever met and it was an honor to to call him our friend. Bill had a wonderful sense of humor and we will miss the phone calls he made to us and the messages he left us that were full of fun and humor. We will miss him so much and he will always be in our thoughts and our heart. We didn't just lose a friend When Bill was taken away,we lost a man who was one of a kind.

Charlie and Denise

joe long

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2009 4:38 pm    

Bill was a great friend to me and I will miss him deeply.

Bob Simmons

Trafford, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2009 5:56 pm     bill

someone on here had said Bill never met a stranger - this is really true ! form the very first day Bill called me, we've been buddies ever since. Bill even named our econo model steel - the "genesis' I've prayed all week that the Lord would leave him around a while longer, but now he's picking in heaven with my son, Josh, who dearly loved him also sorry for rambling on

Murray Greene

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2009 6:05 pm    

So sad to here of Bill's passing.
God bless his family.

Wayne Link

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2009 6:54 pm    

Bill Simmons was God's faithful servant for all his
working life. Billy used to play his little guitar at 2 years old while his mom & dad, Ric & Lil & myself have jam sessions in our early stages of marriage! I had supper with Bill in Dallas 1 month ago at the steel show. He was loved & remembered by all! Let's just remember 'Memory is a gift of God that death cannot destroy'. He's in our hearts forever. Wayne & Joan Link

Mike Taylor

Wetumpka, AL
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2009 7:11 pm    

I met Bill back in 2003 when I went to his house in Keller to buy a guitar from him -- 3 hours later I left with a fine ShoBud and an even finer friend. Upon moving back to the states, I hooked up with some of the Alabama gang in Montgomery and renewed my friendship with Bill. We got together a few times (never enough) to pick and would email back and forth about the never-ending search for the "sound" either with a new amp or his renewed love for a push pull. I was fortunate to get up to Birmingham and play with Bill over at Tim's house the weekend before the Dallas show. We hung around for a couple hours comparing and contrasting the merits of amps and had a great time just talking steel. Here's a great pic of Bill and his new PP.

. What a fine gentlemen.. Always a quick smile and a kind word. We'll sure miss him..

Mike

Tommy Young

Ethelsville Alabama
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2009 7:35 pm    

I met BILL several years ago he was a very friendly and kind person to meet and over the years talked with him on many occasions he will be missed severly throughout our community for a long time, as he helped anyone he thought needed his help anytime he could, I know that I'll miss him a lot because he always gave me and my work high praise every time he seen me.

Ron Randall

Dallas, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2009 7:37 pm    

Bill Simmons,

A good friend indeed.

Ron

Chuck Huffman

Sonora, California, Now Living in Siloam Springs, Ar. USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2009 8:32 pm    

My Wife Theresa and I offer our prayers for the Simmons family and all of his friends.

God Bless.....

Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2009 9:01 pm    

This is so sad. I was just getting to know Bill at the Dallas shows. What a great guy. He will be missed in a very big way.

Randy Gilliam

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2009 9:03 pm     Prayers

Prayers for Bill Simmons Family,May The Lord Be with you in these Troubled times, Randy Gilliam

Al Brisco

Colborne, ON Canada
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2009 5:34 am    

What a shocker! ...we just visited with him at the Texas show in March, & as usual, Bill always had time to share conversation, friendship, & a joke or two.
One of my fondest memories of Bill was when we were closing up after one of Wayne Link's Mid-Canada Steel Conventions, & Bill had us all in stitches for about an hour.
He was one super guy!
We'll miss you Bill.
Al Brisco

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2009 6:59 am    

We are praying for the family at this time. It is hard to loose a good friend and family member. Bill always had a hug and handshake and made you feel like his family. We always want to see our loved ones "one more time." What wonderful memories he leaves behind for all of us. We should all spend more time with those we love and care about and let them hear those words. We will miss him so much but we can take comfort in knowing that he is with The Good Lord in heaven.

God Bless the Simmons family and comfort them in these difficult times.

Our love and prayers,
Ken and Ruth Fox

A few pictures of Bill at our Alabama Show last year. This was only time I ever had the honor of playing with Bill! He was kind to tolerate me that day. I will always remember the wonderful friend and person Bill was to myself and everyone he met!

Ken

Last edited by Ken Fox on 14 Apr 2009 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

John Kalament

South Carolina
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2009 2:54 pm     Bill Simmons Passed Away

That's a great picture of Bill with the Emmons that I now own. The guitar was alway's special to me but even more so now.
I wanted so much to go to the show in Alabama but just could't get the time off work. He will be missed in the Hearts of many people. I feel so bad I never got the chance to meet him.

My prayers are with his family.
John Kalament

Jeremy Drawbaugh

scottsboro, al usa
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2009 4:35 pm    

Everytime i get on the forum since Bill went into the hospital I am always afraid to open this section for fear of seeing just what read. Our power and internet have been down due to severe winds that came through easter night.

I am saddened and at a loss for words!

Our ASGA show will be this saturday and i know Bill would love to be there to play but if you were to ask him right now he wouldnt trade places with any of us.

The bible tells us to be abscent from body is to be present with the Lord and believe Bill is right at home.

God bless Bill's family and may he bring them comfort in this very difficult time.

Gonna miss you pal! Crying or Very sad
BOSS DD-3 BOSS CHORUS EFFECT
NEUBAR REVERB
NASHVILLE 112/400
TELONICS VOLUME PEDAL
STEELER'S CHOICE PAK-A-SEAT

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2009 5:10 pm    

I have a red Fender FMT guitar that I traded Bill out of a couple of years ago. It is one of my favorite guitars, and now every time I see it or play it, I will remember where it came from and what kind of man Bill was. He was a great man of God and a family man . Not much else is very important.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.