The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Supro crackle finish
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2009 2:07 am    

Haven't seen this unusual finish before ....

http://www.buffalobrosguitars.com/images28000-28999/ulb28917-suprolapsteel/index.html

Denny Turner

Oahu, Hawaii USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2009 6:28 am    

Yessir, Andy,

Those sets were marketed under the Epitome brand name; Had nothing to do with Supro as far as I could determine over the last 10 years or-so. That krinkle finish was by far the most common finish for them. It's a thick white shrinking coat painted over a strong solid gold undercoat, ...thus the white shrinks during drying, cracks widely and exposes the gold undercoat between the cracks. From what I have been able to gather / interpolate from limited information on the internet: Epitome was a brand of 'Federated Teachers Service' which was a supply affiliate (Jobber?) with 'Federated Teachers Assn. of California'; Both servicing the Hawaiian Steel Guitar teaching / learning craze of the 1930's - 1950's. I've had several steelers tell me that Epitomes were made by a little known piano company that also made violins ....known for expert use of high quality woods; And very similar Steels showing off nice wood carried the brand Guldan ...which might be the name of the piano / violin company or one of their instrument brands. You can see the wood of this finish-stripped Epitome. The pickup assembly is a Rowe / DeArmond assembly common on a number of guitars and steels of the 1940s and 50s; The pickup often called 'hershey bar' or 'motel soap bar'; Often attributed to Harmony in the 1940's and 50's, but Harmony didn't purchase Rowe / DeArmond until sometime in the early-mid 1950s if I remember correctly, ...first appearing on Harmony's 1954 Stratotone entry into solid body spanish electric guitars.

The Epitomes I've seen were very solid and very well made. They sound and play well, although the string spacing is a bit tight near the nut. They're small ....and if I remember correctly (don't bet on it) the scale length is around 20 or 21". I have really liked the sound of those DeArmond pickups for a long time, a wide range of dynamic tones warm and rich at low gain and banshee at high gain. 6000 turns of #44 wire choke the signal and give it a very nice compressed tone (makes just about any amp at higher gains sound like a marshall). Some reviews by folks that prefer high output pickups have reported that these DeArmonds are a bit thin; But I've found that allot of folks preferring high output pickups are either pedal steelers (where high output narrow dynamics is good), or spanish guitarists who don't understand high dynamics or have lost touch with it and don't seem to remember what an amp's volume knob is for. Winking

I've not been able to determine who made the amp, by comparing their appearance to other known amps of the period; But I'll bet guys over in the Electronics section might recognize the amp's manufacturer.

Please help support humanity:
http://www.redcross.org/en/aboutus

Last edited by Denny Turner on 30 Mar 2009 8:24 am; edited 3 times in total

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2009 8:09 am    

Wow, thanks for all that unexpected info, Denny. The forum never ceases to amaze.

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2009 9:36 am    

Andy,
I saw a set Eggs Ackley like that yesterday at The Cleveland Guitar Show! Eggs Ackley!

Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2009 10:21 am     Probably?...

The original factory direct 'distressed' finish.

K.J. Tucker

Texas
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2009 10:32 am     Me Too

Andy ;
I have one from Epitome @ Federated Teachers Service Corp. It is in gold relief and it was my first Ax. Pic's to follow. As soon as I can figure it out!

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2009 11:29 am    

KJ
I just sent you an email about posting pics.
jb

K.J. Tucker

Texas
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2009 12:41 pm     My AX

I hope this will help in your quest .

Thanks Tuck
P.S. I am getting better at pic's Thanks again John B.
P.S.S. Hey Denny I haven't forgotten about you the pictures just keep turning out bad ! 3-31-09

Last edited by K.J. Tucker on 31 Mar 2009 10:23 am; edited 1 time in total

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2009 12:56 pm    

Anytime Tuck! Yours is in much better shape than the one I saw yesterday, But, it did have the matching amp.
JB

Denny Turner

Oahu, Hawaii USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2009 8:02 am    

Quote:
TUCK'S PICS

Tuck,

Yours is the first I've ever seen with a headstock brand marking (silk screen? sticker? decal?).

Could you please take and post a close-up of the whole headstock so we can see that rare logo? (Whole headstock so that folks can triangulate for detailed restoration work that might be encountered in the future).

The common absence of a brand / logo is usually a pretty good sign of broad jobbing. Having a good pic of your branded / logo'ed headstock would be a good archival tid-bit that might help fill in some of Epitome's history and chain of marketing puzzle in the future. Who would'a thought 40 years ago that every little mark on so many guitars would be as important as they are today!

Thank You

Please help support humanity:
http://www.redcross.org/en/aboutus

Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2009 9:39 am    

Quote:
Wow, thanks for all that unexpected info, Denny. The forum never ceases to amaze.

There is a proverb contained in a very famous book that says, "In the counsel of many there is wisdom."

Aloha, Smile
Don

K.J. Tucker

Texas
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2009 4:09 pm     Denny Here you go I Think...............................

Denny Here you go I Think..............................
Here is the first shot

Here is the second shot

Here is the third shot

Also Denny it is a decal .

Later

Tuck

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2009 6:59 am    

It is so coincidental that I ended up with the exact guitar and amp combination having discovered the pair on Ebay a short time ago. Buffalo Bros just a few miles away from my shop and is a wonderful toy store for guitarists having hundreds of high-end guitars and amps and fellow forumite Rick Schmidt works there.

Keith Cordell

San Diego
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2009 7:07 am    

The first commercial example of a "relic" guitar. Laughing

Todd Weger

Safety Harbor, FLAUSA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2015 8:10 am     Epitome!

I was googling for info on what this steel of mine was, and found this thread. Epitome! Yes!

Here's a short clip I posted on my FB page a couple years ago of it. I agree about the narrowness near the nut. A little closer than I like, but I do love the tone of this 'motel soapbar' pickup! Very Happy

https://www.facebook.com/Kanekila/videos/vob.100000013666638/713952788615170/?type=2&theater

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2015 9:00 am    

I've had several of them at the shop and have one currently Smile

Larry Carlson

My Computer
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2015 9:56 am    

Here is what they say is a Guldan on Reverb with the same finish although a bit worn.
I haven't decided if I like that type of finish or not.

https://reverb.com/item/515682-super-rare-30-s-40-s-guldan-lap-steel-guitar-w-ohsc
Sometimes it doesn't.
But I keep on trying.

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2019 1:56 pm    

If you are intrigued by these Epitomes, I've got one for sale...
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=2851709#2851709

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jul 2019 6:54 pm    

Denny Turner wrote:
I have really liked the sound of those DeArmond pickups for a long time, a wide range of dynamic tones warm and rich at low gain and banshee at high gain.

At least one other person agrees, because I won this Epitome on eBay some years ago for a song, likely because it had been cannibalized and relieved of its pickup, electronics, and control plate.

I bid on it only for its prewar surplus Gibson bridge, which was factory original on many postwar Epitomes.