The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How Many People Use Sneaky Pete's Copedent?
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2009 7:43 am    

in another topic, Jim Sliff wrote:
Quote:
The other very popular copedent is Sneaky Pete's B6. There are several variations and the one below is the whole 9+2 layout, but you can set up a very playable version with just 4 pedals. Some of us have adopted the term "reverse universal', since it's based on a 6th tuning but uses the basic E9-type A&B pedals. It's fun - tuned down low like this you use beefy strings (the 1st string is a .015), the sustain is tremendous and you can nail a note hard and injure the guitar player!

Razz

[ A paragraph here was deleted as it was considered offensive by some. I'm sorry for my unthoughtful choice of words. ]

Reply here if you play Sneaky Pete's B6th (or something derived from it) at least once a week.

Last edited by b0b on 31 Mar 2009 7:42 am; edited 2 times in total

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2009 1:07 pm    

b0b, I use pretty much the same tuning as that but, I use it on a lap steel, no pedals. I don't think I'd ever have a pedal steel with just that tuning, it'd have to be on a double neck, maybe a Fender 1000. As a single neck only, it'd be much to limiting to cover all the bases.......JH in Va.

Connie Mack

phoenicia, new york
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2009 2:20 pm    

i've been going through another sneaky pete session over the last two weeks where i keep listening to his playing over and over again. not because i'm trying to learn anything but just cause it is so enjoyable. just totally from left field but ever so tasteful and interesting. i have often wondered about playing it. i've got too much on my plate to attempt it these days, but maybe one day. i hope more folks chime in on this.

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2009 2:29 pm    

The man was a genius.

Don Walters

Saskatchewan Canada
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2009 4:03 pm    

Oklahoma Stomp has always been one of my favourite instrumentals for steel. When I first heard it by Sneaky Pete it blew me away! Awesome timing and control at a breakneck speed.

ebb

nj
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2009 6:29 pm    

i think you left out the reference that it was in the context of 8 string fender pedal steels.
in any case what is your point?
i think any artist who has had the undeniable success of sneaky pete should have their tools examined.
after all emmons tool has dominated where his discography hasnt in comparison to sneakys unless you intend to limit yourself to a specific genre.
i love emmons too but what are you trying to prove?

Russ Tkac

Post  Posted 29 Mar 2009 7:03 pm    

Jerry Hayes wrote:
As a single neck only, it'd be much to limiting to cover all the bases.......JH in Va.

Recording:
The Ventures
Sir Raleigh and The Coupons
Flying Burrito Brothers
Byrds
Burrito Deluxe
Jackson Browne
Bee Gee's
Gene Clark
Leonard Cohen
Rita Coolidge
Spencer Davis
Everly Brothers
Fleetwood Mac
Dan Fogelberg
The Jackson 5
Billy Joel
Tom Jones
The Knack
L.T.D.
Johnny Lee
The Lemonheads
John Lennon
Huey Lewis
Gordon Lightfoot
Little Feat
Little Richard
Terry Melcher
Bette Midler
Steve Miller
Joni Mitchell
Olivia Newton-John
Harry Nilsson
Danny O’Keefe
Yoko Ono
Robert Palmer
Shawn Phillips
The Rave-Ups
Helen Reddy
Minnie Ripperton
The Rolling Stones
Linda Ronstadt
Leon Russell
Neil Sedaka
Carly Simon
Sly & The Family Stone
Ringo Starr
Jennifer Warnes
Bobby Womack
Stevie Wonder
Frank Zappa

Limiting for who? Laughing

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2009 7:27 pm    

ebb wrote:
i think you left out the reference that it was in the context of 8 string fender pedal steels.
in any case what is your point?
i think any artist who has had the undeniable success of sneaky pete should have their tools examined.
after all emmons tool has dominated where his discography hasnt in comparison to sneakys unless you intend to limit yourself to a specific genre.
i love emmons too but what are you trying to prove?

People have applied it to 10 string pedal steels. In fact, it's easier to apply it to a modern changer than to an old Fender. Part of Pete's genius was his ability to push the envelope mechanically on his heavily modified guitar, in order to apply his musically advanced copedent.

My point is that I hear this claim fairly often - that Sneaky's B6th is a "popular" copedent - but to my knowledge I've never heard anyone other than Sneaky Pete Kleinow actually play it.

It's a very versatile copedent. You'll get no argument from me about that. I'm just asking who uses it. I see maybe 2 or 3 people on the Fender forum who use it. Most people seem to prefer some Mooney-ish flavor of E9th on their Fenders instead.

ebb

nj
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2009 8:03 pm    

Quote:
My point is that I hear this claim fairly often - that Sneaky's B6th is a "popular" copedent - but to my knowledge I've never heard anyone other than Sneaky Pete Kleinow actually play it.

i think what the question is here is how often you hear this claim and whether it merits this retort

ebb

nj
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2009 8:10 pm    

if you analyze copedents in terms of harmonic functionality rather than key bases you will see very little difference and very little reason to have a lot of these discussions

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2009 8:42 pm    

OK b0b, I'll bite.

I'm surprised to see the webmaster start a thread with such baiting comments. Is there some kind of dire need to prove it to be a wrong statement, or call me a liar? Just like calling it a "reverse universal, which got your undies twisted because "universal" in pedal steel context has "rules" - and adapting the term breaks the rules. Heavens! Can't have that, can we?

b0b - I run the Fender steel forum. It's a small forum with limited activity, but growing nicely. I get 5-10 emails a week from members (or Steel Guitar Forum members) looking for advice on 1) finding playable Fender steels, and 2) setting them up once they have them.

2/3 of the setup questions concern B6, not at my prompting, although when I am asked, I DO suggest it to 6-string players transitioning to steel via a Fender...because they have a thing for vintage instruments...and for a 6-stringer it's an easy tuning to grasp, as is the copedent. Most E9 players I recommend various E9 or D9 versions since they're used to them, although many of those are specifically asking about B6 and "shorthand" versions for 4 or 6 pedal guitars.

Other players seem to send folks to me for advice on these guitars - not because 'm any great shakes as a player, but because I've built 3 from various loose parts and modified half a dozen of so others (plus serviced a few personally and "talk-teched" my way through repairs or mods with a couple dozen players by phone or email).

So I think I have a decent handle on what's out there, including many players who have never visited either forum (there are many, many guitar players and other musicians that do not frequent internet forums) but have been referred to me.

B6 is *one* of the popular tunings, and simply because of Sneaky Pete, whose name is pretty familiar in the country-rock and alt-country circles, plus in much of the classic rock world. To many players in those genres, he's the only player's name they are familiar with, and I can't count how many times I've corrected the impression he played the steel parts on the Byrds Sweetheart of the Rodeo (all the members of my current band, guys in their 40's & 50's thought that was the case).

So what I've found is Fender players coming from traditional steel usually want some type of E9 or D9 - if not that, they want B6 and very rarely "normal" C6.

A few try the A6 in the Fender manual but don't stay with it long.

Players coming TO steel for the first time via Fender seem to gravitate to B6, some instead choosing E9. Many of those players, though, get run off by 10-string E9 players who insist they are "crippled" by the lack of chromatic strings, the need for modification to add absolutely critical knee levers, the lack of double-raise and lowers...so if they stay with the Fender they switch to B6, usually because they can find guys who can support them with it (many of us on the mechanical/setup/mod end, and the absolute genius Ed Bierly who posts tab in B6 pretty much on request.

Quote:
I wonder how many people it takes to make a copedent "very popular". I might be wrong, but I doubt that there are more than dozen players worldwide who use this copedent on their main axe.

"How many" is enough that I'm answering the inquiries noted above; and your "dozen players" is off by a wide margin, although I can't give you an estimate that would be accurate.

Polling the Steel Guitar Forum will get YOU the answer YOU want though - because you're preaching to your choir, b0b. Many of the B6 guys I know are not members of the forum - they do not feel a warm welcoming committee is exactly hanging out waiting for them when they've looked at the forum's history. It does not take a lot of reading to see what most "real" steel players think of B6...or Fenders in general, for that matter. At the LA steel "jam" (a weird term for what actually occurs) I had a friendly but pointed lecture about how crippling 8 strings and the B6 tuning is. I left with the feeling I was glad I came - once.

This thread continues more of the same old thing: a "real" steel player baiting the hook and creating conflict where the folks on the other side...the "not real steel" players...couldn't care less what you think but certainly will take the opportunity to expose the incredible ignorance.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Ben Jones

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2009 9:38 pm    

I am trying B6th with Sneaky Petes copedant out now on a fender 1000. Its pretty cool Cool

edit: not my "main axe" tho

Sneaky Pete counts for a couple dozen players just buy himself dont he?

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2009 10:27 pm    

Are all B6th players so touchy? Winking Razz

I'm asking a serious question here. I think that if beginners are asking "How do you tune a Fender 400?" and B6th with E9th pedals is being represented as a "popular" choice, there should be a lot of responses from people who play B6th.

To me, it looks like a very powerful, versatile copedent. Perhaps it is the wave of the future - I don't know. All I know is that I've never seen a guitar tuned to it, or heard anyone other than Sneaky Pete play it.

Compare that with the perennially "unpopular" Bb6th advanced in the same era by Maurice Anderson. Reece is hardly a household name - he doesn't have nearly as many recording credits of Sneaky Pete - but I know several pro players who use a variation of his copedent on their main axe, for all kinds of music.

There must be more than a few people using Sneaky Pete's copedent. So far, how many have chimed in? Three? Jim Sliff, Ed Bierly and Ben Jones. That's a good start.

Last edited by b0b on 30 Mar 2009 10:35 am; edited 1 time in total

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2009 10:28 pm    

Jim Sliff wrote:
I'm surprised to see the webmaster start a thread with such baiting comments.
Jim, I think that b0b has a legitimate question, and isn't "baiting". Besides you and the beginners you mentioned, does anyone play that tuning?

Pete had a good ear and found nice notes, but I think that was in spite of his tuning, not because of it. He could have played what he played on nearly any tuning.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2009 10:45 pm    

ebb wrote:
if you analyze copedents in terms of harmonic functionality rather than key bases you will see very little difference and very little reason to have a lot of these discussions

Whenever I've suggested that, I've been told that this particular B6th is very different. I'll concede that it's rare, for example, to see a 6th tuning with a pedal that raises the 5th tone to the 6th. But I agree with you, Ed. Most of the changes and harmonies are similar to standard E9th and C6th, lowered to a different key base (B).

My intent is this topic is simply to clarify whether some people are actually tuning down to B6th and putting A&B pedals on it, or not. I like to spot future trends, if I can.

ebb

nj
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2009 4:06 am    

Quote:
but I think that was in spite of his tuning

i agree his ability to choose notes transcended tunings but i dont think the b6 was just an accident.
i think guitars, especially acoustic, seem to respond to certain keys more than others.
as far as who else plays b6 that would be me, tommy spurlock, gerald pierce, jim sliff, russ tkac, don mcclellan (b6 kline). probably no more than a dozen.
the thing that appeals to me about it is how many frets it makes truly usable. there doesnt seem to be a "hughey land" distinction with it.
btw i liked your F soon to become E tuning with the root on top that you posted a sound sample of over on the fender forum. sounded good.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2009 4:12 am    

Earnest Bovine wrote:
Pete had a good ear and found nice notes, but I think that was in spite of his tuning, not because of it. He could have played what he played on nearly any tuning.

Bravo!

We oughta write that in stone and hang it on the wall.

It's called "learning the instrument", fellas.

But we always seem to have that major faction that thinks it was the guitar, or the tuning, or the amp, or the bar, or the picks, or something external to the players' abilities that made the "greats" really great. Confused

J Fletcher

London,Ont,Canada
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2009 4:20 am    

I seem to remember a post from Tommy Spurlock saying he was switching over to Sneaky Pete's B6th tuning. A few years ago as I recall. Mr Spurlock played on the great Arthur Alexander's last recording. "Lonely Just Like Me" I think it's called. A plug for a great CD...Jerry
Oh..I see that EBB mentioned Tommy Spurlock

Russ Tkac

Post  Posted 30 Mar 2009 5:14 am    

Hi b0b,

I'm no player but use the B6 Fender tuning with the 9 pedals and no knee levers. You can hear Yesterday in the B6. I also have a version of Sneaky's song Sister but it was done with my modified E9 tuning. I'll have to figure out how to post it. Three guys or more who cares? It is the player that makes the tuning and Sneaky did that better than most.

Ben Jones

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2009 6:09 am    

Sneaky sounds really unique to me. I know alot of that is the player but surely some of that uniqueness comes from the tuning and the instrument. As you all said, no one else tunes like that right?

In the context Jim used the word popular, i think it applies. Its a popular tuning for fender 400 users. In a literall sense? maybe not, but thats kinda just nit picky semantics to me.

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2009 7:07 am    

Nitpickin' and touchy thread here, eh? Anyway, Russ T, what did you get by posting that list of folks Pete recorded with? I probably have the same list somewhere and it doesn't have anything to do with what I said about his setup being too limiting...

I guess I should have added "In my playing situations" it'd be too limiting. I was a working lead guitarist when I took up steel and have always looked at the steel guitar from a six stringer's position. I've always wanted to be able to do most things I do on lead guitar on pedal steel and Pete's copedant won't do it for me. How would you do "Pretty Woman" (the opening riff) with it, or "Memphis", or even Together again with the correct voicings?

In one band I even had to do the notorious "Smoke On The Water" lick with distortion. Do that on Pete's guitar, it's not there. Pete's setup is OK if you've got other lead instrument(s) in the band to cover what your limited range can't.

All that said, I am a fan of his playing and have been for more years than I'd like to count. He was a great player and played like no one else. I loved his work on "Blackbird" on the Suite Steel album. That was beautiful in it's simplicity which IMHO was one of Pete's talents. As Earnest B. said, "It was in the notes he played" which really says it all. His entrance into the SGHOF was long overdue and I just wish he'd made it earlier so he could have enjoyed it before he passed away.....

Some have compared B-Bender Teles to someone trying to sound like a steel guitar but ol' Pete had that ability to make his Fender sound like Clarence White, Bob Warford, or other Bender players. He had that distict touch to play what the song needed.

But once again, it wouldn't work for me as most of my playing over the years and to this day is usually as the only lead in the band so with my 12 string with 8 & 5, I can get all the low or high notes needed............JH in Va.

Last edited by Jerry Hayes on 30 Mar 2009 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total

Russ Tkac

Post  Posted 30 Mar 2009 7:48 am    

Jerry,

I just find it funny that B6 lap steel is fine but add 9 pedals and 2 KLS and it's too limiting. I'm glad your 12 string works for you and please forgive me but if I had to play "Smoke on the Water" on steel I'd have to find something else to do with my time. Smile

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2009 8:07 am    

Okay, not counting Jerry's non-pedal tuning, I now know of 5 people playing this popular copedent: Jim Sliff, Ed Bierly, Ben Jones, Russ Tkac and Tommy Spurlock. There are probably a lot of people who have it on a 2nd or 3rd guitar that they play now and then.

Thanks for pointing to that song, Russ. It's a lovely rendition, and it really showcases the "baritone" nature of Sneaky Pete's B6th copedent.

Mike Bagwell

Greenville, SC, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2009 8:37 am    

b0b

Your buddy Steve Gambrell plays a 400 tuned to B6 with 9 pedals. I think it was set up by Jim Sliff. He falls into that guitar player/steel player area that Jim mentioned.

Mike

ebb

nj
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2009 8:54 am    

i often tune the bottom string down to E for particular tunes