The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Missing John Hughey
Greg Wisecup

Troy, Ohio
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2009 8:24 am    

I thought I would like to hear John speak again so I went back and looked at all of his posts and responses. It was well worth my time. Take a stroll for yourself. You'll enjoy it. The world misses John Hughey. Greg
/Nashville 400
RV-3/ Zoom MS-50G
As long as I'm down in the mix I'm Fantastic!

Wayne Morgan

Rutledge, TN, USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2009 9:27 pm    

There is not a day go by , that I don't think of John Walter and Don. They were such a great part of our lives and always will be. Thanks guys for the great insporation you've given us.
Wayne

Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2009 4:41 am    

It's a true testament to John's legacy that once every few months a "missing John Hughey" thread is started. He was truly a master of the instrument, and could emote like no other through it. He instantly gets you right in the heart every time you hear his playing. It's a true gift he gave us, the recordings he made.

Laurie Ayres

Riverview, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2009 6:07 am    

As Roy & I were discussing that St. Louis would not be the same without our friend, John whom we loved he & Jean dearly, we also thought about Don, Walter and others that we knew and loved that are now in heaven in a better place. But, we all will still miss them the rest of our lives until we join them ourselves one day. We miss them too. Laurie

Roy Ayres

Riverview, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2009 11:29 am    

Just a reminder:

I have several pictures, songs and stories about John on my website. Click on Roys Footprints then click on the red tab labeled "John Hughey Memorial Page."
Visit my Web Site at RoysFootprints.com
Browse my Photo Album and be sure to sign my Guest Book.

Nick Reed

Russellville, KY USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2009 12:02 pm    

So many of my great legend Hero's who have gone,
There must be one heck of a Steel Jam goin on up there!

Me and the A Team

Greg Wisecup

Troy, Ohio
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2009 12:11 pm    

Now that's a picture I would hire an armed guard to protect!

Great pic Nick!
/Nashville 400
RV-3/ Zoom MS-50G
As long as I'm down in the mix I'm Fantastic!

Jim Walker

Headland, AL
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2009 3:56 pm    

Yup, Not a single day goes by that I don't think of John. He is and always will be my Steel Guitar Hero.... The quickest way to get a smile out of me is to think of his smile and remembering the conversations we shared.

JW

Russ Tkac

Post  Posted 8 Apr 2009 6:41 pm     Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbacmmKvdeA&feature=related

Nice! Very Happy

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2009 9:15 pm    

I remember bein' on shows that John was on. He played in Nashville in '06 when I played there and the day after the show, at Russ and Laney's house, I was standin' between two of my heroes, John Hughey and Don Helms. I remember when I played in Nashville for the first time, John had asked me what songs I was doin', and before I answered him, I felt a little nervous because I wondered if I had the courage to tell him I was gonna play "Look At Us". After I told him I was gonna play that song, he said "I wanna hear you playin' it", and then after Russ Hicks and I finished the set, I walked over to John, and he looked at me and said, "You nailed it, man! He really loved it! John was a hero to not just me, but a lot of steel players.

Brett
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Tim Sergent

Hendersonville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2009 10:26 pm    

Speaking of hearing John speak again...I had quite a shock a couple of days ago. I called the Hughey house to ask Mrs. Jean about the BJS "John Hughey bar" that I'm interested in, and much to my surprise, when the answering machine came on...it was still "Mr. Hughey" on the outgoing message. I hung up the phone the first time to kind of catch my breath because I wasn't expecting to hear his voice, but I called back a few minutes later and Mrs. Jean answered the phone. She's such a wonderful person and I'm so glad to see her working the door at the Station Inn on Monday nights for the Time Jumpers....the same night of the week that I always used to see her there. She does still have the John Hughey bars for sale and I will have one soon. Mike "Cookie" Jones had one at the NTSGA jam this week and I loved it. www.johnhughey.com....if you're interested too.

John and Jean have always been dear friends to me and if you've read all of the other posts about John Hughey then you know that the "Make your daddy buy you something nice" story is something that I'll never forget get as long as I live.

I miss him too,

Tim

Mike Bowles

Princeton, West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2009 7:56 am     john

yes john is missed very much he will always be remembered by me as long as i can get hold of anything he played on or played only wish i could be so smooth really one that contributed so much to steel music

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2009 4:55 pm    

I just got back from cruising around with forumite fiddler' Keith Junot we listened to Gary Stewart's "Out of Hand" CD ,We must have listened to "She's Acting Single" at least 5 times in a row,I just sat there shaking my head...How Great. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.