The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bobbe Seymour and Andy Reiss - great combination
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2009 2:12 am    

I listened to Mr Seymour's CD As Time Goes By very intently yesterday. By intently I mean with very discerning headphones through a high quality stereo system. I was very impressed on 3 counts.

Firstly, the choice of material - wonderful standards from an era when tunesmiths were at their peak.

Secondly Bobbe goes for an unusually (for him) mellow tone on this recording - C6 with some big chords and very tasteful single note improvisation. I hope Bobbe won't mind me saying this, but while his playing is predominantly his own great style, I do hear occasional snatches of Curly and Reece in there.

Lastly - and most importantly - the production. No synthetic drums or bass or anything. Just sheer classy musicianship. Andy Reiss in particular deserves a special mention. His guitar playing and tone is just sublime. I saw him live with the Time Jumpers last year and was very impressed. No stomp pedals or effects. Just plugged straight into his vintage Fender amp and produced some stunning playing. Now I have added him to my list of great studio players too.

Bobbe really does take some care over the productions of his recordings. You can tell straight away that these are not cheap budget projects, and are a labour (English spelling) of love.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2009 7:12 pm    

Andy Reiss is one of my favorite guitar players in the world. His tone is about the best jazz guitar sound I have ever heard (I love his take on the big jazz guitar through funky tube amps).

Andy also happens to have been the guitar player on the very first time I ever played pedal steel in public. I'd been playing for maybe 6 months. He was impressed that I could play the harmony part on 'Buckaroo', and didn't make fun of my obvious deficiencies as a musician.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2009 11:13 pm    

Andy is great and from the Bay Area (most likely where Dan played with him).

He also has a brother, Ron, who is a steel player if I remember right. I remember meeting them both at the Niles Country Music Hall here in Fremont back in the 70's or 80's. Anyone know where Ron is?

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2009 5:00 am    

If Andy ever decides to make a solo album I will be first in the queue for a copy. He also highlights the fact that vintage equipment can very often surpass modern gear tone-wise. Andy's 1966 Gibson Barney Kessel guitar has had the same LaBella flat wound strings on it for over 8 years!!

Here he is pictured with his English Bulldog Pigi.

Here he is with Johnny Cox who is using his triple neck Zum.

If Andy's brother plays steel guitar half as good as Andy plays guitar, he would be a monster.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Joe Goldmark

San Francisco, CA 94131
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2009 10:06 am    

I'm proud to say that Andy & I played in a few bands before he moved to Nashville. He also has played guitar and bass on many of my recordings. He's all over the Time Jumpers recordings and their DVD. Andy is a great guy and a steel fan as well as a student of many guitar styles.

Ron Reiss was a good steel player, but hasn't been playing for awhile due to work and family, etc. I believe he's an architect and has a degree in law. So you can see why the steel has taken a back seat for awhile.

Joe

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2009 10:52 am    

This is a great CD, and has been a head-turner for people I've played it for who really aren't into pedal steel. Great choice of tunes, great playing, great production. It's just great music, period - in the manner of the great recordings of jazz standards from, let's say, the 1950s, but with the added bonus of pedal steel. This is a must-have, to my tastes,

Carl Mesrobian

Salem, Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2018 1:47 pm     Is the CD Still Available?

Sorry to bring up an old post, but is the CD still available. I looked at Steel Guitars Nashville, and at Jim Palenscar's store, but not found.

Any help would be appreciated - thanks!

"The better it gets, the fewer of us know it." Ray Brown

Fred Rogan

Birmingham, AL USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2018 4:55 pm    

I was pleased to see that 6 of Bobbe's albums are on Apple Music. Unfortunately the album in question here is not.

Carl Mesrobian

Salem, Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2018 5:12 pm    

Bummer.

"The better it gets, the fewer of us know it." Ray Brown