The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What's the beef with banjo players?
Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2013 8:42 am    

The mechanical presentation of three-finger picking makes banjo and steel players reluctant cousins, whether they want to admit it or not.

The output of the instrument (steel or banjo) does not compromise the input of the player, which in many instances is equal in terms of musical ability.

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2013 10:50 am    

A large proportion of steel guitarists also play banjo.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2013 12:28 pm    

I use 4 fingers on steel. Razz

Alan Brookes

Post  Posted 19 Sep 2013 9:43 am    

I use 4 fingers on banjo.
(Plus my thumb, of course.)

Chris Sattler

Hunter Valley, Australia
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2013 3:52 pm    

What's the difference between a banjo and a rattlesnake?

Well one wouldn't jump on a rattlesnake on purpose.

Chris Sattler

Hunter Valley, Australia
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2013 3:53 pm    

What's the difference between a banjo and a rattlesnake?

Well one wouldn't jump on a rattlesnake on purpose.

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2013 3:59 pm    

A Texas banjo-player got caught in a sting yesterday or the day before. He thought he was talking to some mom who was willing to set him up for sex with her 7 and 9 year old daughters. But mom was an LE agent, and the jerk got busted!

Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2013 5:46 pm     Historical reason

Wasn't (isn't) the banjo associated as the primary instrument with many of the old minstrel show types such as Uncle Dave Macon, and country music tried to get away from the sound moving toward what was thought of as a more sophisticated and modern sound. Also, the clawhammer style banjo is a very percussive instrument and the incorporation of drums into country music may have contribued to the demise of the banjo in much of country music

Bob Simons

Kansas City, Mo, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2013 5:12 am    

If you take the head off and replace it with tin foil banjos are really good for making popcorn over a fire.

Joseph Barcus

Volga West Virginia
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2013 7:29 am    

I hate the sound of banjos as well. we done a test in front of several people once we pealed the skin of a banjo and an onion nobody cried when it was done with the banjo heheheh. here in west virginia you get so tired of the banjo well I know I do

Alan Brookes

Post  Posted 21 Sep 2013 8:52 am    

Hey, how about removing the resonator from a Dobro and replacing it with a banjo pot. Very Happy Shocked

Musicians' Friend used to sell 5-string banjos with resonators (i.e. the type of resonators found on Dobros). It would make an interesting sound.

Alan Brookes

Post  Posted 21 Sep 2013 9:05 am    

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=169034&highlight=forgive++sinned

Getting back to the subject, "What's the beef with banjo players?", maybe the place to find out about beef and banjo players would be a banjo barbeque...

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2013 12:08 am    

I have been revisiting the 2 Area Code 615 albums in my car over the past month. I'm with Roger Rettig on this one, and think that Bobby Thompson who along with Bill Keith was one of the Godfathers of the melodic banjo style, was an incredible musician. Lloyd did a number of cuts with Thompson too and rated him very highly.

We all have those life changing eureka moments in life where we hear a musical instrument and fall in and out of love with it for the rest of our lives. I guess that's why we all play steel guitar on this forum, but we must respect that the banjo is a bona fide musical instrument with a massive following. The banjo forum has a membership number that we can only dream of. Finding a banjo's sound to be unmusical as Doug and b0b do does not invalidate its place as a musical instrument. It's all down to personal choice and taste.

I much prefer hearing a fingerstyle banjo playing melodic style by a master player than the tiresome tremolo single string or strumming style heard on films and musicals. Bobby Thompson and Weldon Myrick showed just how well a steel guitar and banjo can compliment each other on those two classic albums all those years ago.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2023 9:03 pm    

edit

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2023 9:04 pm    

edit

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2023 9:11 pm    

edit

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2023 1:54 am    

Interesting read, Doug Smile

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2023 8:03 am    

I repeat my remarks of fifteen years ago:

I wrote:
"I've always enjoyed ribbing other musicians, and have had lots of fun getting my share in return; it's always directed at players whose competence, or even excellence, is self-evident. That way, it's so clearly a good-natured joke that no offence or slur could possibly be inferred. I would never direct such a remark to a player who is only holding his own, as it could easily be taken the wrong way.

The banjo jokes are such a well-established tradition amongst players everywhere that I'd be surprised if any half-way decent banjoists hadn't heard - and laughed at - all of them.

I was lucky enough to tour with Bela Fleck when he was a part of Newgrass Revival in the late-1980s. I can assure you that he knew more banjo-jokes than the rest of us put together, and bore it all with a very good grace."
================

Having said that, I do think 'Snare-on-a-stick' is funny. Smile

Dave Magram

San Jose, California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2023 10:42 am    

Here's an very nicely done banjo version of Buddy Emmons' solo on "Gentle On My Mind", played by Bennett Sullivan...

Gentle on My Mind [Pedal Steel solo by Buddy Emmons]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-03QaJJbBQ

Buddy and John Hartford were close personal friends, according to Peggy Emmons.

- Dave

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2023 11:33 am    

The average pedal steeler seems to hate just about anyone who can play faster than he can (which is just about all other musicians). Laughing

Andy Jones

Mississippi
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2023 11:57 am    

Banjo jokes don't bother or offend me in the least.Neither am I envious of better/faster steel players.

I've been playing banjo since my teens and it has served me well since I started playing the steel(I'm 71 now).I've heard about many steel players having trouble with finger picks.Playing fast bluegrass instrumentals,I got used to picks quickly and never had a problem with them coming off or being uncomfortable.

Also the dexterity of my fingers from the banjo rolls and different patterns if finger picking contributed immensely to playing the steel.The transition to steel was fairly easy for my right hand.The rest of it was the most difficult.So,all in all,banjo playing helped me greatly in learning the steel.

John Ducsai

New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2023 2:50 am    

Peter Dollard

Post  Posted 4 Dec 2023 11:29 am     Roscoe Holcomb

I had that record and it was the first banjo record i ever heard of "mountain" music. Roscoe had a high razor edged voice that would limit his work potential but his banjo playing was pretty good. Not really Scruggs style kind of the Charlie Poole school of occasional three finger rolls from the thirties. I have to say I NEVER thought I would see this on the Forum so thank you for reminding me of that record. He had one neat song called Charlies neat and Charlies sweet and Charlie hes a dandy something like that...

John Ducsai

New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2023 3:35 pm    

Bob Dylan said "Roscoe Holcomb had an untamed sense of control, which makes him one of the best"

On the other hand, Mark Twain said "A Gentleman is someone who knows how to play the banjo and doesn't" Very Happy

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2023 4:01 pm    

I have a Banjo gig with an acoustic Jam Band on Dec 22nd.
All acoustic instruments played through the PA, with many classic rock songs done bluegrass style, and alot of traditional Bluegrass, too!
Super fun!