The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Where's Sonny Garrish?
Jeffrey Snyder

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2019 11:18 am    

The work Sonny did for The Hinson's was just outstanding! Parts as important as the melodies of the songs. Never forgotten.
1973 Sho-Bud LDG-Round Front (3&4), 1976 Marlen D-10 (8&4), Emmons Legrande II (8&6), Marlen and Jim Dunlop Bars, Sho-Bud Volume, Emmons Volume, 1983 Peavey Nashville 400, 1989 Peavey Nashville 400, Quilter Steelaire, Catalinbread Belle Epoch Analog Delay, Peterson Strobo Plus HD Tuner, National and Herco Thumbpicks, National Fingerpicks

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2019 5:44 pm    

If any of you have heard the Forester Sisters' songs "I Fell In Love Again Last Night", and "Mama's Never Seen Those Eyes" released in 1985 and 1986, Sonny's the steel player on those songs!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2019 6:54 am    

Sonny ranks up among the best. Very Happy
Erv

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2019 8:04 am    

Sonny was a big influence on me. I was actively gigging during the 70's an 80's, and Sonny was on many recordings back in that era that I had to learn. He did some double tracking on records. I recorded a single in Nashville with a band I was in in 1983. The producer worked some with Sonny. He asked if I could play my intro, solo, and ending EXACTLY how I originally played it. Of course I could. At first, I thought I screwed something up and they wanted to get a better track. After it was all said and done, they told me about Sonny and wanted me to do the double tracking. I came back from Nashville and immediately bought a rack mount effect that had a doubling effect so I could reproduce what was on the record. Pretty cool stuff.

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2019 9:34 am    

I have been a Sonny Garrish fan for years. He has played on so many recordings that only the Good Lord knows how many. His unique style and sound has never been duplicated. He played on so many Gospel recordings with The Hinsons, The McGruders and the Manuel Family Band just to name a few. His country hits and artists records he played on is highly impressive. Yes, he should be in the Hall Of Fame. As much as Sonny had accomplished he never played steel shows for whatever reason. I would have loved to have met him or seen a live performance.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2019 9:46 am    

Whenever I listen to an old Gene Watson song and am impressed with the steel player, I look it up and, more times than not, it's Sonny Garrish. Very Happy
Erv

Jim R. Harrison

North Vancouver, B. C., Canada
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2019 5:07 pm    

Paul, Sonny WAS inducted into the Steel Guitar Hall of Fame in 2014; here's some proof, at least for the induction, not the date!

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2019 3:14 pm    

Thanks Jim. I remember him being installed in St. Louis. I was referring to the Country Music Hall Of Fame. His career has definitely been great and a long one.

Nick Reed

Russellville, KY USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2019 8:06 pm    

Just saw Sonny a few months ago at SGN