The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Two of Chuck Mangione 's sidemen killed
Dave Harmonson

Seattle, Wa
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2009 6:03 pm    

Two of Chuck Mangione's back up players were in the plane crash near Buffalo, New York this morning. Saxman Gerry Niewood and guitarist Coleman Mellett. What a terrible tragedy. Looks like the road has taken some more players.

Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2009 7:15 pm    

This is very sad. May GOD bless,comfort, and keep the families. Jody.

Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2009 10:37 pm    

The Dash 8 was taken down by ice.

Steve Alcott

New York, New York, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2009 8:16 pm    

Gerry was a friend and colleague for 30+years. Every gig he was on was better for his presence..

Don Lanier

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2009 8:54 pm     2 Musicians

My Mom came and told me she heard two musicians were on board that plane, I was up at that hour and saw the initial reports of the plane crash and it was a terrible burning crash, we had a similar crash near our house a few years ago when an F-15 Pilot who was practicing for an air show crashed into a nearby area, the flames were immense and thats how this looked, I said a prayer as soon as I saw the TV reports and My condolences to the Musicians familys. Amazing how one crash everyone is saved, and another everyone is killed...I prefer the Train.
https://www.facebook.com/Pearlprocase

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2009 5:18 am     Fronn CNN

Quote:
Gerry Niewood

Niewood was traveling to Buffalo on Flight 3407 with jazz guitarist Coleman Mellett for a show with musician Chuck Mangione and the Buffalo Philharmonic at Kleinhans Music Hall.
Gerry Niewood was an instrumentalist who played with artists such as Sinead O'Connor and Frank Sinatra.

Gerry Niewood was an instrumentalist who played with artists such as Sinead O'Connor and Frank Sinatra.

Niewood was born Gerald Joseph Nevidosky in Rochester, New York, in 1943, and began playing the saxophone when he was 6. He first performed with Mangione when they were students at Franklin High School in Rochester, according to the Encyclopedia of Jazz.

Niewood went on to become an accomplished instrumentalist who lent his skill on the flute, piccolo and clarinet to various acts, including Simon and Garfunkel, Sinead O'Connor and Frank Sinatra. He reunited with Mangione permanently in the 1990s, according to the Encyclopedia of Jazz.

Niewood and his wife, Gurly Victoria Hulbert, had two children, Elizabeth and Adam, also a professional saxophonist, the Encyclopedia of Jazz said.

"The outpouring of phone calls, emails, text-messages etc is truly overwhelming. All I can say is, it's too bad Gerry isn't around to witness the impact he made on all of you," the Niewood family said in a blog post on MySpace.com

Coleman Mellett

Mellett was traveling with Niewood on Flight 3407 to play with Chuck Mangione and the Buffalo Philharmonic.

Mellett began playing with Mangione in 1999 as a substitute guitar player and joined him full time two years later, according to Mellet's profile on MySpace.com.

The Washington-area native studied jazz at William Paterson University and received a master's degree in jazz performance from the Manhattan School of Music in 1998. He went on to play with numerous artists and acts before joining Mangione full time.

As of Saturday night, dozens of messages has been posted on his MySpace page expressing condolences and bidding him farewell.

"This can't be real. Rest in Peace my friend. I will never forget your soulful swinging sound and your larger than life personality," user Bill Sneider said. "You've touched so many in such a brief time. We are all richer for having you in our lives."