The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Twin Cities Drummer, Howie Mileski, passes away
Steve Schmidt

Ramsey, MN, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2009 12:57 pm    

Howie Mileski, longtime Twin Cities drummer, passed away early this morning from cancer. Howie had a band for many years by the name of Prairie River. Many of you have seen and heard Howie play drums as he has so graciously offered his talents in St. Louis at the Steel Guitar Convention for many years in the Fulawka room. Even though he was very sick, he still made the trip down last September to backup the other musicians that wanted to play. Howie was very content with siting in the back and letting everyone else shine. This is an example of unselfishness.

This one strikes especially close for me as I grew up with the Mileski family. About 2 years ago, Howie's Dad, Dick Mileski, passed away, also from cancer. Dick was a Pedal Steel player and was responsible for sparking my interest in the instrument. I played for a few years with Howie's in his band. Howie was always a guy that could put a smile on your face. As many of you are aware, stages can sometimes be rather small, and thus crowded. Howie was the one that showed me that my backside (politely put) was a good place to store drumsticks. He was always good for a laugh, but at the same time, always very thoughtful of others, and especially proud of his friends and family. Now Dick and Howie are both reunited, together doing what they loved, and that is playing Country music, real Country music. I will miss Howie, as I have missed Dick.

Dick and Howie's family has experienced alot of pain over the last 4 years. Please pray for them in their healing process.

Howie and Dick, I miss you both. Howie, as you use to sing, "Your Something Special To Me", I'll carry those thoughts with me forever.

steve

Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2009 12:53 pm    

Steve, I'm sorry to hear this! I spoke to Dick quite some time back about his guitar but had no idea Howie had been sick Sad He was looking for a steel player but I had other obligations

Lonnie Portwood

Jacksonville, fl. USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2009 8:26 pm    

Steve, I'm so very sorry to hear this. Howie was indeed a fine man and gentleman! Those of us who have been so involved in the Fulawka for many years have appreciated Howie's hard work providing drums, sound, etc, in fact, if Howie had'nt been there for us, there would not have been so much fantastic music in the Fulawka room over the past several years. We will surely miss Howie, and will remember the family in our prayers. Lonnie Portwood