The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  1973 Sho~Bud Pro~II Refurbishment UPDATE 6/4/20
Cody Stewart

Traverse City Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2020 4:31 pm    

After a two year search, I was able to purchase the Sho~Bud of my dreams. This was made possible by forum member Winston May. This Pro~II is serial number 3606 born June 1973. I will be spending the next several weeks cleaning and reconditioning the guitar. The previous owner had converted the guitar to an SD10 and I will be putting the C6th back on. At some point in its life, the guitar was converted to nylon tuning. Through the help of Micheal Yahl and other generous forum members, I’ve sourced enough brass barrels and pull rods to put this beauty back to original. According to Ricky Davis, the humbucking pickups on this guitar are Sho~Bud custom made and rare. I’ve never before seen them and they are the best sounding I’ve ever heard.

The guitar is now gutted and it’s off to the races. Please feel free to share any helpful hints as I’m sure I will need all the information I can get.

Last edited by Cody Stewart on 4 Jun 2020 4:37 am; edited 1 time in total

Eric Dahlhoff

Point Arena, California
Post  Posted 17 May 2020 4:54 pm     ShoBud pickups

Cody,
I used to have SB Professional #3073.
It had low impedance pickups that I am told were made by Shot Jackson A pic below. There was a tiny transformer mounted between the pickups and output jack. Is yours the same?
They were excellent sounding pickups, and of course, zero noise.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 18 May 2020 12:28 am    

Cody excellent ! have fun !

While Ricky is certainly the major resource here, if I can be of any assistance please feel free to reach out, as I just finished a 1975 Pro II restore/refurb project .
tp

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 18 May 2020 2:18 am    

Hey Cody, I have a lot of info written out, mostly from James Morehead, from when I rebuilt my Pro II. Shoot me an email so I have you address and can then send you copies.

Doug

Dennis Brown

Gowen, Mi. USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2020 4:00 am     Sho Bud

Nice project Cody.

Cody Stewart

Post  Posted 4 Jun 2020 4:36 am    

Update:

So I'm still waiting on enough rods and barrel tuners to complete setting up the C6th neck. USPS is extremely slow due to covid-19 crap.

I got some replacement fretboards from Tommy Bradshaw and they look amazing. The originals were pretty rusted.

I've got over 20 hours into polishing all the under carriage parts and they look decent.

I reconditioned the original nitro lacquer by first hand polishing it with a 3M product called "finessit." This removed the haze and made it crystal clear again. I recommend this polish because it is free of harmful wax and silicone. I then drop-filled all significant bar digs with lacquer to disguise them and protect the surrounding lacquer from cracking. Next, I liberally applied Lemon Oil with my fingers to the whole lacquer finish and let it soak in over night. After the surface was dry and free of any oily residue, I applied two coats of Renaissance wax to seal the lacquer and protect it. It was a lot of work but the original finish almost looks new again.

A few of the waffle style wide pedals had the tread wore almost completely off, I chucked them in a vise and used a hacksaw and successfully re-cut the grooves to make them look original again.

Though the original Sho~Bud Humbucking pickups sounded great, they lacked in power and sustain. I've decided to swap them out for some 710's. I've got a 710 in the E9th right now and this guitar sustains so long it's unreal.

The E9th is set up and playing nicely. Now I understand why these Buds are the most desirable. This guitar has a sparkle in its tone like non other I've ever experienced.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2020 6:34 am    

Nice work Cody; I'm super proud of you and the work you put into it. Now you're rewarded !!!
Ricky

Cody Stewart

Post  Posted 4 Jun 2020 7:36 am    

Thanks Ricky, Couldn't have done it without your help! You're the man!

Bob Hamilton

California Central Coast
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2020 9:19 am     Pics

Looks great Cody, I'm just glad I don't have to lift it.

Joseph Carlson

Grass Valley, California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2020 10:31 am    

Wow, looks great. Been trying to work up the gumption to refinish an old Professional that someone covered in clear lacqeur with a paint brush.

How many hours do you reckon you have into your project all together?

Thanks,
Joe

Cody Stewart

Post  Posted 4 Jun 2020 10:50 am    

Joseph, I have 42 hours into this guitar and I'm still not finished. A complete refinishing of a cabinet is a job, but if done right the results are worth the time. I don't advise total refinishing, but sometimes it cant be avoided.

Russ Tkac

Post  Posted 5 Jun 2020 4:32 am    

Really nice work.

Dennis Brown

Gowen, Mi. USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2020 5:57 pm     Wow

As Ricky said, You should be very proud. Great job Cody.

Nicholas Cox

California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2020 8:05 pm     Beautiful

Looks great! What did you use to clean and refinish the body?

Cody Stewart

Post  Posted 6 Jun 2020 1:54 pm    

I reconditioned the original nitro lacquer by first hand polishing it with a 3M product called "finessit." This removed the haze and made it crystal clear again. I recommend this polish because it is free of harmful wax and silicone. I then drop-filled all significant bar digs with lacquer to disguise them and protect the surrounding lacquer from cracking. Next, I liberally applied Lemon Oil with my fingers to the whole lacquer finish and let it soak in over night. After the surface was dry and free of any oily residue, I applied two coats of Renaissance wax to seal the lacquer and protect it. It was a lot of work but the original finish almost looks new again.

Nicholas Cox

California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2020 6:41 pm    

Thanks for the info. Looks amazing!

John Goux

California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2020 10:58 pm    

Wow. J

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2020 12:32 pm    

Love it Congratulations.

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2020 12:34 pm    

Love it Congratulations.

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2020 7:20 am    

Hey Cody, Beautiful job. A serious job Well Done. Not everyone has that ability. That like new Steel Seat should look very good behind it. Again, A job well done. J.R. Rose

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2020 7:15 pm    

Very good I like it!

Jay Jessup

Charlottesville, VA, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2020 6:53 pm     Re: Pics

Bob Hamilton wrote:
Looks great Cody, I'm just glad I don't have to lift it.

yes these old Buds are heavy beasts, the pedal rack alone is substantial. These days my go to steel is a SB Professional, same color as this Pro-II, I challenge anyone to make these old Buds sound bad!
My solution to the weight issue was to contact Steve Hinson at Brand X cases. These are made out of the same stuff as drum trap kits and have dense foam padding inside. I got one for the body only and carry the other stuff in a gig bag, weight problem solved!