The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Post your Happy Stories of Good Times with Tom Brumley Here
Paul Honeycutt

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2009 9:14 pm    

Thanks for sharing your stories, everyone. I knew Tom only through his music, but I feel like I know him from your stories.

Paul Honeycutt

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2009 9:19 pm    

Thanks for sharing your stories, everyone. I knew Tom only through his music, but I feel like I know him from your stories.

tom anderson

leawood, ks., usa
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2009 12:11 pm    

I always enjoyed Tom's playing & two years ago when he was at the Convention I went to see him to see his Anapeg. I have the prototype for that guitar (called Anstead) & wanted to look at his closely after he played. I mentioned to him that I was in line to get a new Anapeg & he looked at me & said "Boy, you won't regret it-finest steel made."
About a year later I called him & asked if I could bring the Anstead down to Branson to show it to him & also sit down & play his Anapeg, in case I had any questions for Noel before he started my new one. I had planned to spend an hour at Tom's & then go on to the Ozark Jam. When I got there, he & his wife were very gracious even though it was a warm spring day & I was sure he wanted to be out on the golf course. We set up my steel next to his & he sat down to play it & darn if it didn't sound just like his! Of course he gave me a few pointers on tuning it, adjusting the pedals & then grinned & asked if I wanted to sell it! He seemed to like the pickup. I assured him I didn't & we spent way more than an hour talking steel, etc.
As he was telling me some stories of playing with Buck, I mentioned that the first time I heard of him was when he played with Rick Nelson. He was totally shocked, but I wasn't listening to country before "Sweetheart of the Rodeo" by the Byrds & only gradually started listening to it after Poco, Rick Nelson, Bob Dylan, Flying Burrito Brothers all had gone country, so had no idea in 1968/69 who the steel player was for Buck Owens!
Finally after a couple of hours, I didn't feel I could monopolize any more of his time, so I left. He said he would call next time he was in Kansas City, but that was not to be. I never did get to the jam.
I have listened to a lot of his playing in the last couple of days-Rick Nelson, Desert Rose Band, Dwight, "Timeless" & even Buck, & I will miss him.

Jimmy Campbell

Fayette, Alabama.
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2009 2:21 pm    

I first met Tom in St Louis at the Steel convention when I worked for music city mfg in Nashville.
My wife and I had flown to Birmingham one day to attend a funeral and as we were walking through the airport, I spotted Ricky Nelson.
We walked back down toward the gates to see if his band was with him, and as we got closer I saw Tom standing with someone looking toward us, Tom said I told him that I knew you and he thought he was kidding.
Each time after that when I saw Tom he would always bring up about the meeting in Birmingham.
I am so sad about the passing of Tom, he was such a good man.
We send our sympathy to his family and friends.

Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2009 4:17 pm    

In the 1965 vol 2 issue of Fretts there was an interview I did with Tom that year. I met him at a fine hotel in Frankfurt, Ger. He treated me to diner and the dining room had a surounding acquarium from the floor to the ceiling, nothing but exceptional class.

A year or so later, I was visiting with an electronics Tech Rep near K-Town and we hit a few of the night spots. One of them had a bandstand but hadn't had a band in many a year. There was a D-8 Fender stringmaster steel guitar on one side of the bandstand that had been left there by some GI musician who had long since went back to the ZI.

I had to ask the bartender who found the owner and as best he could remember the owner of the steel was a Thomas Brumley.

He had certainly come a long way... Sad Sad Sad

Regards, Paul

Last edited by Paul Graupp on 6 Feb 2009 9:42 am; edited 1 time in total

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2009 9:23 am    

I first knew Doyle Holly when I worked with him and his family-band prior to his Buck Owens days.

I first heard Tom Brumley play when Buck started recording his shows at the WKY-TV studios in Oklahoma City, sponsered by the Mathis Brothers, local furniture store moguls. Tom's unique style of playing the pedal steel-guitar changed all previous conceptions of playing and was the "buzz" of that era.

Tom's name and legacy will always remain at the top of any list.

John L. Farrell

Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2009 11:37 am    

I am so proud to be in the photo with two of my heroes, Tom Brumley and Herb Steiner. Thank you Debbie for capturing that picture. I will treasure it forever and you know where it will be. The first time I met Tom Brumley I was on the elevator, at ISGC, the door opened and there stood Tom. He stepped in and I could hardly speak. All I could muster was Thanks Tom for all that great steel with Buck Owens. Since that time we have become good friends. I will miss him. Thank You for the memories. Your Fan, John Farrell

Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2009 6:29 pm    

Tom and me at ISGC 1976. I never new Tom real well but we had so many mutual friends, I feel like I've known him for a long time.

BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.

LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2009 11:07 am    

Many moons ago Tom Brunley came out to sit in with us The Crawfish Band at " Freddie's Top of The Hill ". Leon Copass on Bass Guitar & Vocal, Big Bill Garner on Lead Guitar & Vocal and Myself on Drums and Vocal.The Next morning we all when to play a round of Golf.RIP Tom Brunley,Your friend Leo J.Eiffert,Jr.

Walter Jones

Athens, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2009 2:54 pm    

During the summer of 07 we took a trip to Colorado on our Gold Wing. We made plans to stop in Branson and take in a show. Tom had told our son Greg for us to call him when we got in town. Of course we were going to see The Joey Riley show that Tom was working in.

We called Tom and he said he woud meet us at the theatre. We were waiting in the lobby and Tom walked up and said comp 2 tickets for my friends. He said "Where would you like to sit? I said which side of the stage are you on? He replied, Aw, you don't want to sit on my side and hear all that noise."

Of course he was only kidding and had a big smile on his face. It was a great show and a special part featured Tom on a string of # 1 hits that he played on. We spent some time together after the show visiting and talking about the business and Branson.

Tom has been such a wonderful role model and friend to our son Greg. It is not often you get to have a friendship with your Hero as Greg has ,but that is just the type of guy Tom was.

Karen and I only met Rolene one time in St Louis and had breakfast with them, another enjoyable time. If Tom had never played one note of music I know I am a better person from having known him.

Memories are forever and may he rest in peace.

Last edited by Walter Jones on 7 Feb 2009 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mark Durante

St. Pete Beach FL
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2009 4:47 pm    

Back in the sixties radio stations would play a variety, one song Beatles another Four Tops next Buckaroo, then maybe Dean Martin. That steel solo on Buckaroo has always been one of my favorites. Anyway, one year awhile back I was checking into the Millennium hotel and I noticed Tom Brumley and Bud Issacs in line right in front of me so I stupidly said to Tom I liked to use the fifth string lower knee lever, (as on Together Again). Of course he corrected me explaining that he did not have knee levers then but rather lowered the bar and raised the 3rd string for the same voicing.
He and Bud were both joking around, a memorable moment for me.

B. Greg Jones

Middleport, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2009 7:46 pm    

Tom was my hero and my friend. When I first started playing, I had to have a ZB Custom because thats what Tom played. It was also Tom that introduced me to Del and Dixie Mullen in St. Louis and led to the 1st of 2 Mullen guitars (which I still have).

I was in St. Louis in 1992 when Tom was inducted into the Hall of Fame. It was my 1st time there and the most memorable.

I purchased a ZB SD-11 from Tom in 1996 and in 1997 I went to Branson for a week. I saw a solid week of the Brumley Family show at the 76 Music Hall. Tom would call me in the morning, meet for coffee and head to the theatre to "play with the guitars". Just me and Tom, a ZB, Mullen and Anapeg. Getting to play his guitars and taking a few one on one lessons is a memory I will never forget. He was a wonderful steel player but more importantly, he was a good friend. It's not everyday that you get to hang out with one of your idols. Gotta thank my dad for turning me onto Buck and the Buckaroos at a very young age.

Funny story: I was working a club in Georgia about 93'. We just went on break and this fellow that had to much to drink had asked me if we could play "Together Again". I told him I could play the ride for him right now. He said that he was a janitor at Capitol Records and was there when "Buck and the Boys" cut it. I played the ride for him. He said, "Thats great!!! Just like Buddy Emmons recorded it!!!" Told that story to Tom and he always got a good laugh out of it.

I'll miss ya Tom, gone but not forgotten.

Greg

Gary Walker

Morro Bay, CA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2009 6:55 pm    

In early 1970, Tom Bradshaw had organized a summit of players at a club in LA. Among them were Reece, Tom Morrel, Tom Brumley and others. While talking to Tom Brumley, a rough-around-the-edges and crusty sort of a fellow that looked like he fell off of a turnip truck, approached us. He butted in our conversation by saying to Tom, "I know your brother, he plays for Buck Owens." I know it felt good for Tom to say what came next. Tom said, "I play for Buck." The cowboy realized he had just been caught and flew out of there like a scared chicken. Of course we know Tom had already quit Buck but he just couldn't let it go by.
A few months later, I was transfered to Phoenix with the Phone company. I was working on the 3rd floor of Mountain States Telephone building at 36th street and Indian School.
Among the 60 people was a young lady that said Buck was her uncle. She then told me that when Buck and the band came to the Phoenix area, they would all go out with their "friends" after the concert. (She said dates, but we'll give them the benefit of the doubt) Judy said they all went out except Tom. She said Tom would "stay at the house in the kitchen with Mom drinking coffee and talking until the gang came back from being out with "friends." In other words, Tom didn't do anything that a faithful husband would even think of doing. I guess one "friend" was enough for the great Tom Brumley.

Pat Coyne

Gallatin
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2009 7:24 am    

Tom's passing has been sadness mixed with joy for our family...i had been around Tom a few times in groups of people, but the last time I saw Tom we had some great one on one time...I had driven to San Antonio during the hurricane, Tom and Rolene so graciously took me to the airport, I told them i could catch a cab but he was so great and said "no i am coming over to pick you up"..and lovely Rolene was along..during our short journey we talked mostly about God and how good he had been to us...i KNOW where Tom is today, his last day here was the greatest event of his life. I remember the love i felt from him and Rolene that day, Tom was so glad as i to have that brief moment, Rolene jumped out of the car to give me a big hug...i look forward to that again in the near future. I thank God I had a great hero, I first met him at the age of 9...and the last at 51. It is a blessing when your heroes are every bit the person you hoped they would be. Cathy and I will be down to see you soon Rolene and Todd!! Pat

Tay Joslin

Clarksvillle, Tennessee USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2009 8:39 am    

Pat wrote:
Quote:
It is a blessing when your heroes are every bit the person you hoped they would be.

AMEN!

Lowell Whitney

Waynoka, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2009 6:52 pm    

I met a very young Tom Brumley once in 1956. Tom was playing steel for Hurshel Clothier and the Oklahoma Travelers out of Woodward Okla. I was invited to try out on bass with the band. I remember Tom being a tall slim fellow with wavy hair, very quiet, and always smiling. (I didn't get the job, darn it.)
Sad Sad
Lowell

Bud Isaacs

Yuma, AZ. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2009 7:52 pm    

Sorry, I posted on the wrong thread for Bud. Please look for it there, Thanks, Geri

Bill Myrick

Pea Ridge, Ar. (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2009 6:01 am    

Tom was a valuable and personal friend to so many of us and will be sadly missed. Condolences to wife Rolene and sons Tommy & Todd and daughter Tracie and to their families. We can only take solace in knowing that one day we will all be "TOGETHER AGAIN"- Smile

Donald Dykes

Natchitoches Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2009 9:39 am     Tom

I met Tom Brumley at ronnie neighbors steel jam yrs. ago and used to always make his show at the 76 Mall. I have toms autograph on a Texas Steel Guitar Association tee shirt along with many of the greats some of which are gone to be with the lord now.He will be greatly missed in the steel community and by many others.Tom always treated me great anytime i talked with him.There are tears as i type this. RIP...TOM
Donald

Butch Warren

Utah, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2009 7:08 am     Tom Brumley

I got to see Tom play at the Palomino Club in North Hollywood about 73 or74. When we got there a line went around the building! I had a broken leg at the time. well needless to say we managed to walk in with people on the guest list. I forgot to mention The Stone Canyon Band with Rick Nelson was playing. As usual Tom was as good as it gets.There were lots of celebs and music people in the audience.

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 May 2009 8:40 am    

Unfortunately, I never knew Tom personally and actually never met him until a recent ISGC show.....but, I was exposed to his talent early-on when Buck was recording their syndicated tv shows at WKY-TV in Oklahoma City.

The local buzz was all about: "have you heard that steel-guitar player on Buck's show"? At the time I was with Henson Cargil and taping shows on another local television station, so I never had the opportunity to meet Tom.

I did know Buck's bass player, Doyle Holly, because we worked together with the Holly Family Band with his sister, mother, and brother-in-law, before he went with Buck.

Tom was one of the ICONs and he will be missed as long as those of us of his generation of country music continue to survive.

Gene Jones
www.genejones.com