The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  RIP Walter Haynes
Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2009 9:15 am    

Rick: I need to thank you for posting those clips !! I have never heard so much of him at one time before and the question begs an answer: How much have we lost ??

I recall from somewhere way in the past, he played Slippery Elm with Jerry Byrd and for years I thought he had written it...

What an excellent taste and use of effective chordal voicings. He had it all there at his finger tips !! Under rated he may have been but such a talent will not be unheard !!

My condolences to the family.

Regards, Paul

Rick Sharp

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2009 6:16 pm    

Hey Paul,
Yep Walt was one of the best ever! I was very fortunate to spend alot of time with him over the past 8 years or so. Once I asked him how many sessions he did before he started producing...he rubbed his chin for a minute and said, "Oh, I'd say around 3500." So you may have heard more of him than you thought. Winking
He did all the steel work on one of my cd's. The productions not the best, but the steel is there for sure. If you want, shoot me your snail mail and I'll send you a copy, if you think you can get past the singin'. Winking

Rick

Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2009 9:24 am    

I met Walter at his SGHOF induction. He was about as gracious as an inductee could be. Somehow we got talking about his good friend Merle Haggard. Very Happy It was a pleasure talking to him even for just those few minutes. May he rest in peace.

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2009 3:08 pm    

I never personally knew Mr. Haynes, but from what I saw of him and read about him, I believe that he was a very humble and nice person. He was also a great steel player and was there when it was all happening in Nashville in the golden years. Well we have lost another great one.

May GOD comfort his family!

Terry Wood

Tommy Young

Ethelsville Alabama
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2009 4:16 pm    

I didn't ever meet him personally but did appreciate his playing, as I've herd it and loved it all my musical life, such a great loss to our small world..My condolences to his wife and family..

Sonny Priddy

Elizabethtown, Kentucky, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2009 7:13 pm     Walter

Walter And I Were Good Friends Sence 1981 I'll Miss Him. SONNY.

Sam White

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2009 5:53 am     RIP Walter

We will sure miss Walter on the Steel Guitar Chat Room.The New England Steel Guitar Association gives our Condolence to Cindy and family.I met Walter at the Country Tonight Theater in Pigion Forge.Herby Wallace was sitting in the lobby and I walked by to get a Coffee and Herby yelled Hi Sam White. I went over to him and he said this is Walter Haines and I'm here to help Induct him into the (NACMA)North America Country Music Hall Of Fame.I had Met Walter a couple years before that when We played Steel Guitar at Steve Leonard"s First Steel Guitar Show in Bristol VA.I feel Honored that I won the T-Shirt that all the players Signed and Walter was one of them that signed it so I have his Autograph with all the other Steel players that were there including mine.He was a great freind and we will miss him Dearly.
Sam White
Pres.NESGA

Louie Hallford

denison tx
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2009 6:35 pm    

Cindy,just found out about the loss of your loved one. Although I had heard of Walter all of my steel guitar life, I never met him until he invited by your home a couple of times in Tyler.This was prior to your move back east. He was such a Gentleman and outstanding musician.Fondly, I remember the last time I saw him at his HOF induction in St Louis.

God Bless you and strengten you in your loss. When you need uplifting,just sing some of those great gospel songs, which you so beautifully do.

Bud Isaacs

Yuma, AZ. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2009 10:07 pm    

Walter and I met in the early 50's. We had a lot of fun and laughs in Nashville. We Jammed a lot with "Dale Porter," "Don Davis," "Lighten' Chance" and others. We used to come in off the road, and sit backstage and tell each other stories of what happened while we were out of town. We worked together back when the Grand Ole Opry, WAS The "GRAND OLE OPRY" Lots of memories. He was a great guy. Our thoughts and prayers go with him and the family

Bud and Geri Isaacs

Evelyn Whitney

Muskegon, MI 49441 USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2009 11:16 am     Walter

L T Zinn sends his sympathy and best wishes to Walters family.
So sorry to hear this sad news.

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2009 3:29 pm     Walter

I am down on internet service and just found out about the passing of Walter Haynes. Just another devastating loss in the steel guitar world. He will be greatly missed.

David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2009 12:28 am    

Walter was one of those people you heard more of,
than heard of. He was on so many great classics and much more.

RIP Walter and my condolences to Cindy,
his family and many friends.

Real happiness has no strings attached.
But pedal steels have many!