The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  E9th - tuning the D string
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2019 9:31 am    

In another topic, Ian Rae wrote:
Quote:
If you flatten your 9th string until the beats with 8 go away, you'll get an unbelievably sonorous 7th chord. No use for anything else, though!

This got me wondering how people typically tune their 9th string. I often use it as the root of a pedals-down Maj7 chord, so I tune it harmonically to the 6th string A note with pedals A+B down. When I release the pedals, the open tuning is about +5 cents above center.

ET +5 cents is also where I tune my E strings, so as a 7th note it sounds good enough. Do you all agree, or do you tune your 9th string higher or lower than I do?

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2019 9:36 am    

What I described is more of an acoustical experiment than a practical tip. The 9th string is way more use as a root, and at that pitch is quite acceptable as a (minor) 7th.

I tune it a 5th below the A, and if I engage the A pedal the 7th string flattens slightly to give an in-tune triad.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2019 11:30 am    

I tune my 9th string to the A note of the 6th string(a+b pedals down). So my A note pedals down is straight up 440...so the 9th string is 440 also and my E's are straight up also on the pedal down A chord. So when I let my pedals off...yes the E's now are sharp but only a few cents; not 5 cents...and 9th string doesn't move from straight up....and BTW; it really does depend on the amount of drop you are tuning to; when you push your pedals down...and I also use a wound 6th string....
Ricky

Bengt Erlandsen

Brekstad, NORWAY
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2019 2:59 pm    

I use the 9th string as root a whole lot so I match that note to be in tune with the A note (B pedal)

There is a b7 D note (E beeing the root) both below and above the D note that would be heard on a Rolling Eyes "in tune" piano. The D note that is 31cents flat or 18 cents sharp. Easily found on the steel-guitar but can also easily sound way out of tune with others if not beeing careful.

B.Erlandsen

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2019 5:47 pm    

Same as you b0b.

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2019 10:58 pm    

It seems we're all in agreement.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2019 11:47 pm    

That's a first - how disappointing! Smile

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2019 12:35 am    

I'm with B0b!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2019 7:51 am    

I also follow b0b’s +5/-5/0 temperament scheme to an extent. I bump the F# strings up to about +2 though, because of their function as a perfect 5th to the B’s. The root B at +5 and the 5th F# at 0 was too much wobble. It throws off the F# major 3rd function (to the D’s), but not enough to sneeze at. The D works very well at +5, as a root, b7, and b3.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2019 9:23 am    

Fred Treece wrote:
I also follow b0b’s +5/-5/0 temperament scheme to an extent.

For those not familiar with it, here's my "Fault Tolerant" E9th chart. The open string tuning is easy to memorize. I sometimes tweak the pedals a bit by ear for sweetness but I stick with the +5/-5/0 scheme on the open strings for simplicity's sake. Not perfect, but not bad either.

<center>

</center>

Quote:
I bump the F# strings up to about +2 though, because of their function as a perfect 5th to the B’s. The root B at +5 and the 5th F# at 0 was too much wobble. It throws off the F# major 3rd function (to the D’s), but not enough to sneeze at.

I never noticed that problem. I think that the cabinet raise caused by the "E" lever might be greater on the 7th string than on the 5th (and 10th). I rarely play F# and B strings together without lowering my E's. Something to measure.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2019 11:49 am    

Cabinet drop/ raise can work to advantage, but it's easy to add a compensating lower on string 7, operated by the A pedal. Then that string can do both its jobs in a controlled circumstance.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2019 12:33 pm    

I used to tune the 7th string flat for the DMaj7, with a compensator to raise it a few cents on the E lever. I'm not so picky about tuning anymore. Mr. Green

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2019 12:45 pm    

b0b wrote:
I used to tune the 7th string flat for the DMaj7, with a compensator to raise it a few cents on the E lever.

That would be the equal and opposite way of doing it.

b0b also wrote:
I'm not so picky about tuning anymore.

That's yet another way, which I wish I'd thought of.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2019 5:05 pm    

I use the Peterson tuner with the U-12 preset. I changed things around on my U-12 Jeff Newman setup. Usually, the 9th string B with a LKL raising a tone and a half to D. I now have my 6th string G# to Bd on the LKL and using my vertical 8th string E to D. I have to dial in the D note by ear on this change rather than depending on the Peterson.

John Goux

California, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2019 11:22 pm    

I’ve got my D string equal to my E’s, as Bob.
I’m on a hybrid tuning of ET, Bob’s Meantone, and Just. But all at 441, so 4 cents above 440. Close to Bob.
All open strings straight up, except G#s at -11 and D# at -10.
D string based chords sound fine to me. The F# strings sag -4 cents due to AB cabinet drop, so you get slightly sweetened major 3rd.
My (B)C pedal is equal to the cabinet drop on string 7, about 5 cents below the Es. The F#minor chord is great.
If string 6 didn’t sag different than Str 3, I’d be quite satisfied with this system.
John

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2019 1:54 am    

I used to use a modified Newman tuning on my Franklin for many years. When I got a new Peterson StrobOPlus HD I started using the sweetend Newman tuning and its worked for the last two years. I don't know where the Newman D tuning sits but it works for me.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2019 5:31 am    

Hi Jack, on the Newman tuning the the 9th string B is 442 raised to a D 442. Lowering the 8th string E 442 to D if you tune that to 442 it sounds a bit off so I tweak it by ear.

Gary Hegland

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2019 10:18 am    

I tune straight up. Everything on zero. Works great!

Mostly play at home through the sound system, playing along with tracks. Getting spoiled with that tone!

Fred Justice

Mesa, Arizona
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2019 10:25 am    

b0b, I get my 6th string in tune with B pedal down, which will be an A.
Then I tune the 9th string to that, with all the beats gone.
As for the 7th string, I tune it in tune open, and I have a comp. on the A pedal to lower it in tune with pedals down.
Hope some of this makes since. Very Happy