The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Biab 09
Bob Martin

Madison Tn
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2008 8:58 am    

Is everyone ready to spend more cash trying to keep up with BIAB? Heck they just released 2008.5 and now 2009 is here and the upgrade price seems a little steep unless I read it wrong Sad

Check it out here http://www.pgmusic.com/ When I first started using BIAB on the Mac in the late 80's there was only 1 update per year and sometimes only every other year with a few style updates between and no changes to the app itself but I guess they are like all of the other software companies times are hard so they are releasing single point incremental upgrades that in years past were free.

As far as I could tell just skimming over the update info all they've done is add some more real instruments/styles. Maybe there's more than that but it sure seems like a ploy to get some Christmas cash Smile You all be the judge....

Bob

Richard Tipple

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2008 9:54 am    

From what I could see & hear, its more real tracks. There are a couple of acoustic guitar real tracks and a freeze song function that is nice, but for the money to upgrade from 2008.5 ,that I have, & the Dec.21st deadline for savings,,,I gotta look a little at this one Shocked

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2008 11:58 am    

I tend to upgrade every two years. I have the 2008.5 version so next year will be my update year.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2008 12:15 pm    

I'll upgrade when the come out with a new version for the Mac. They seem to have a hard time doing that, though. Maybe I should send them my resumé. Winking

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2008 12:24 pm    

I guess I'm just a sucker, I sprung for it. Whoa!

Papa Joe Pollick

Swanton, Ohio
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2008 4:47 pm    

I did it.Should be here by Mon.or Tues.I bought the $129 upgrade.I needed the Nashville Real drums for a project..But what I'm realy interested in is the Real Band recording software..Sonar Home Studio is giving me fits..PJ...

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2008 6:37 am    

Papa Joe,
I went for the same package.

Richard Tipple

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2008 8:17 pm    

Move over fellas,,I couldnt stand it any longer,,I forked over the $$ for the Ultra Up-grade on hard disc Mr. Green

Papa Joe Pollick

Swanton, Ohio
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2008 9:12 pm    

Well,my disks came today and are all installed.There were about 11 DVDs. Confused Now to try and figure it all out...PJ...

Bob Martin

Madison Tn
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2008 9:38 pm    

Doggone you guys, after reading your posts of upgrading and reading more at pgmusic's site I bit the bullet and had my wife buy me an early Christmas present Smile

I'm downloading the complete package now and they will send me the disks in a few days to weeks although even though they are in Canada the disks usually come within a week or so.

Even with my fast connection it will probably take me 6 or 8 hours to download the complete package. I think I started about 4 hours ago and it looks like I'm close to 1/2 way thru the links but keep in mind the links are not all the same size and I may have the biggest links to down,load yet. I'll just go to bed and they should be on my drive in the morning Smile

Bob

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2008 11:01 pm    

Bob Martin wrote:
I'll just go to bed and they should be on my drive in the morning Smile

Bob,

That's the same way Santa Claus works. To be nice, you might leave some cookies and milk beside your modem. Smile

Bob Martin

Madison Tn
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2008 12:02 pm    

Very good Rick Smile I guess Santa is going to be a little late today at least for me due to and I'm just guessing here but most likely it's simply server congestion on the PG Music site. Normally when I download from PG Music's server I get top notch download speeds as in 1000 kbps all the way up to 5 000 kbps equaling 1 mb per second to 5 mb per second which is pretty darn fast and then of course with my down load manager "flash get" it goes ahead and divides all downloads equally between the alloted amount of download files at any one time so to help make sense of the figures and numbers it would mean this if I was to download 5 files at a time with 5000 kbps download speed it would split each download and give it a 1 mb per second share for each of the 5 download files in the cue. Then that would give each of the file download speeds around 1 mb per second or 60 mb's per minute and then that equaling 360 mbps per hour so the equates to 1/2 of a CD every hour on each of the 5 download files Smile

So if Santa doesen't hurry up I may have to forgo the free milk and cookies because of
Santa being so darn slow Smile

At this rate if nothing goes wrong I'm sure I'll get all of the files downloaded but shoot the discs may very well be here before the downloads are done LOL!

Good luck guys with your new applications of BIAB 09 and if you get some good songs made please post and let us hear some of good music that BIAB 09 will render:-)

Bob

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2008 12:46 pm    

Could be a case of you being a "bad boy". Santa doesn't like that. But, I'm sure you get things worked out. Ho Ho Ho.

Richard Tipple

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2008 2:13 pm    

I ordered the Ultra Pack Up Grade on 80 Gig Hard Drive on Monday & called BIAB on Tuesday to get a tracking No. They said they were all out of Hard Drives & would get some in soon.

So I switched my order to CDs,, should have them today or tomorrow ,

For those who ordered HDs ??

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2008 6:43 am    

I got my CDs yesterday.

Tim Lane

Garfield, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2008 3:35 pm     Great service

Well, I bought the upgrade to the 2008.5 version Dec. 2 from Kelly Computers and Music. The day I got it I went to download the latest fixes on PGMUSIC.Com found that 2009 had come out. I emailed PGMUSIC and told them my dilemma and they said if I could prove I just bought it, they would send me the 2009. I send them my invoice and they said they would ship out the next day. Now that's service!. They also have a deal where you can buy the realtracks 28-39sets all for $39 dollars so I did that to. Can't wait!

Lynn Oliver

Redmond, Washington USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2008 4:28 pm    

b0b wrote:
I'll upgrade when the come out with a new version for the Mac. They seem to have a hard time doing that, though. Maybe I should send them my resumé. Winking

The Mac version is so far behind I'm running the 2008.5 Windows version using VMware Fusion (virtual Windows machine).

Jim Eller

Kodak, TN (Michigan transplant)
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2008 5:08 pm    

Did I read some where that you can put an mp3 file into the new version and it will print out a chord chart???? ..........or was I dreamin'??

Richard Tipple

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2008 8:06 pm    

Jim,, yes ya can & it works Smile

I got my ultra pack upgrade today (2009) 15 CDs
Took about 2 hrs to upload all of them to my PC,,
Im just starting to play with it here,, very nice so far,, nice new real drum tracks and some great fiddle tracks. A lot of variety when it comes to Bass, guitar, Sax. Even the Steel guitar tracks are a little better,, but who needs them Wink

It will take me a few days to really get into sampling all the new features,,, might even take weeks Shocked

Richard Tipple

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2008 6:56 pm    

Ok guys,,,so what do ya think of the BIAB 2009 ?? Question

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2008 1:27 am    

I've got 2008.5 and I didn't go for the 2009 upgrade. Best I could tell, it only offered more real tracks for guitars, etc... and I do all that myself anyway. All I really use if for is the drums and piano rhythms. The real drums are a big improvement over the midi drums.

For the wish list, I like to see them come up with a way to retard an ending.

If you making a midi file so you can sync your recorder with BIAB and record each instrument on a separate track, you need to get Power Tracks 12. The newer version will allow you to insert a bar(s) before the song and give your recorder time to sync up. If you're not able to do this, you'll lose part of the click track intro. You can still do it if you can remember where to come in, but it's so much easier with the complete click track. If anyone's doing this and having problems, let me know and I write up some instructions for you.

It helps when you're mixing to have the instruments on separate tracks. This way you can EQ, Pan, etc... each instrument as you would real band tracks. If you just record the BIAB as is, you are stuck with what you've got.

Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2008 2:53 am    

Rick Campbell wrote:

For the wish list, I like to see them come up with a way to retard an ending.

You can hit F5 on your keyboard or right click and choose "bar settings" where you can slow down the tempo a measure at a time. I wish you could do it a little more smoothly but with a little experimenting you can get some decent results.

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2008 2:04 pm    

Yes, I've tried that, but not with a lot of dedication. I'll try it again soon. Thanks for the tip.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2008 7:00 am    

I started to download all those disks for BIAB 2009 and my hard drive ran out of room.

There has to be a MASSIVE amount of data on those disks. Sad

Robert Harper

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2008 7:30 am     Question For Erv

Is BIAB what you use for your tab. Is that the reason it is so clear and orderly. Or is it you patience?