The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hank Thompson Legacy
Harley Morris

Riverside, California, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2008 1:21 pm    

Talking about Hank... I had the pleasure of working (playing fiddle) on the road with him for awhile back in 1990, and parts of 1991, and I do enjoy reading the comments about him on the forum. Everyone is "right on" when they say good things about him. He was a alot of fun to work with. We had a bevy of good pickers on that tour including Paul Marshall on bass, Archie Francis on drums, Al Parrett on steel, and myself and Oscar Whittington on fiddles. We all dearly miss him.

LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2008 7:57 am    

Hey Harley Morris,I a great Interview that I did with Hank Thonpson at The California Country Country in Ontario,California. I too,enjoying picking gigs with Hank. Just like with Rose Lee & Joe Maphis,Patsy Montana,Johnny Bond,Tex Williams,Freddie Hart,Merle Haggard,Chet Akins,Jerry Reed,Tony Booth,Billy Mize and so many others it would like a book for Warner Mack. Just people,but,now great in the neighborhood history without a MUSEUM to house our memories of what we all did out here to build The Academy of Country Music that the new heads of are making millions on. RIP Hank! Leo J.Eiffert,Jr. & Pigeons.

Harley Morris

Riverside, California, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2008 9:54 am     Hank Thompson

Leo:

The very first time I played with Hank was at the very club you mentioned in Ontario, California, and that was back in 1988. I know you remember Bobby Boydd, am I'm sure you remember that Bobby was on steel that night.

Regards, Harley

LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2008 10:50 pm    

Harley,Bobby Boydd was a good friend and a great Musicians. We did a lot of off the wall recording sessions together.We did some for Jack Lox,Pam Bellows,Bradi Holland that you know her as Lara Manning. We also played with Hank together too! And many Gigs around town. Leo

Jimmy Youngblood

Post  Posted 8 Jan 2009 7:55 pm    

One of the true talents and a real gentlemen.

I was honored to be with a house band who backed up this great man one time in Reno!

Corky Anderson

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2009 2:47 pm    

I am truly proud to say I worked with Hank on a TV show here in 1990. He was one of the nicest people I have ever met. A true Gentleman! Smile

Catrer D-10 Nashville 1000/400

Tele..............twin.............boss pedals

Jack Stanton

Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2009 7:30 am    

Just found this picture. It was taken 1980 in Lake Hauser, Idaho (one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen) when we backed up Hank at a club called Gator McClusky's. Definitely one of the highlights of my musical career. Left to right: Butch McCook, myself, fellow forumite Neil Owens, who was the lead player at the time, and the Big Man his own bad self. The picture was taken by a member of the audience who apparently had one too many adult beverages, as she cut off the other two guys in the band.
Hank was a really great guy, and could party with the best of them!
[/img]

Dale Bennett

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2009 10:55 am     Hank Thompson

Like everyone else I have always, i mean alway been a big fan Of Hank. When I was a younger man in Ca. i would go see hank anytime he was where i could. He was one of my idols. Later on when I had the band at Georges Roundup # 2, George would book him in and we would rotate thru the night. Later when I went with Mr Price and moved to Okc, I had left the band in 72 and started picking here in Okc. It wasn't long after that Jimmy Belkins (fidle) left Ray and went with Hank, he called me one day and wanted to know if I wanted to join the band, I thought about it and decided to stay home, I figured I could handle the bass part but no way could I sing like Curtis Potter and that made me nervous. Later on when I went into the club business I booked him every time I could and he would use me and the guys to back him. So now I can alway say I was part of the Hank Thompson show one in a while. Sorry to make this a book guys but like everyone else I was so proud of every minute I got to even be close. By the way, he had a lot of funny stories to tell. db

DeWitt Scott

St. Louis, Missouri, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2009 12:07 pm     Hank Thompson

I remember seeing Hank twice. Once was at the Lindy Hall in St. Louis back in the 1960's. Our band, "The Midwest Playboys" alternated with Hanks band. It was quite an exciting time for me as a young Bert Rivera was on the steel guitar for Hank. I did take pictures of the band but have not been able to find them. Rats! Bert plays regularly at the show in Dallas and he played at the International Steel Guitar Convention in 2008.

We had Hank play at one of our Steel Guitar Hall Of Fame fund raising shows here in St. Louis and he used the Swing Shift band. Buddy Emmons on the steel and Ray Pennington helping with the vocals. It looks like there are many of us that have had some very nice visits with Hank. Scotty

Loren Bayles

Iowa, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2009 10:01 pm     Hank

I could not add a thing to what has already been said about Hank Thompson.

I am another Iowa boy from the farm that fell in Love with Hank, his songs and his bands.
One of my early jobs away from the farm was for the old "Rock Island" railroad.
My working buddy and I frequented a local watering hole to cool off after a nice warm day repairing the railroad and dropped many a quarter in the old juke box to play "Green Light" "Whoah Sailor" and anything else by Hank.

I was learning guitar then, went on to take up steel and play all these years in local country and pop bands. I really don't sing but still remember the words to "Oklahoma Hills" Hank you've always been among the top of my country music heros
with your version of so many good songs.Wish I could have had the pleasure of meeting and picking with you.
God Bless you and watch over your family.

LB