The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  value of a 10 string Gibson EH-150
Iain

Edinburgh, Scotland
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2008 3:01 am    

Hi

Does anyone have any idea what this might be worth? I need to sell some guitars, basically.

It's 1930s, all original. There's wear (naturally!), such as on the rear, where it'd cross the left knee,and the binding is a little away from the body, in places, but it plays fine and everything works perfectly.

Lovely tone and nice wood. Any rough idea of value would be appreciated. Oh, it doesn't have a case.

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2008 5:03 am    

You should contact Gruhn guitars in Nashville. You can send them some detailed pics and for a fee, they will evaluate the guitar and give you a price estimate that is about as reliable as anyone can. His evaluation is one of the few in the US that will stand up in court if you need it.

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2008 7:36 am    

I'd second the recommendation to contact Gruhn Guitars in Nashville, TN for an appraisal.
Here's a link to the Vintage Guitar Price Guide's page on Gibson lap steels. As you can imagine, there isn't much data on a rare guitar like this.
In Paris, R.F. Charle may be able to help as well.

Richard Shatz

Quincy, IL, United States
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2008 9:00 am    

I think that's the first 10 string EH150 I've seen. Obviously very rare. There were probably fewer of those made than the E150, which in the last few years have consistently sold for well above $3000.
Wow, did anyone look at the lap steel prices that R.F. Charle is asking?

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2008 9:33 am    

you should contact Paul Warnik

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=2551

Jeff Hyman

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2008 4:39 pm    

For starters, this is the first 10 string EH-150 with a CC pickup I've ever seen. Let me tell you the biggest value from my point of view. I am so in love with the tone of that pickup, that I've dreamed of having one on my LDG. Having the 10 string width would possibly/hopefully make that possible. If Ricky Davis is out there maybe he can chime in. I have two EH-150 6-strings and know there is a very large piece of metal below that pickup that may make this an impossible request. I'd be a strong candidate to purchase if this could be accomplished.

Kevin Greenberg

Lakewood, CA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2008 7:32 pm     10 strang

Jeff, I hope you're not talking about butchering this rare bird to put a pickup in your LDG! This thing is worth more than an LDG any day of the week. BUT, you would have the most bad-ass LDG around! It probably does have the big magnets inside. You should call Jason Lollar. He makes a Charlie Christian pickup without the huge magnets. Maybe he can make you a 10 string one. That darn lapsteel is probably worth $3500-4000.

Jeff Hyman

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2008 8:10 pm    

Kevin... what I mentioned proves what foolish things I'd do to get that tone on a PSG. I also think those huge magnets have something to do with its tone. Do you happen to have any contact info for Jason Lollar?

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2008 8:31 pm    

Jeff...Why would you even want a pedal steel guitar tone ? That GIBSON is a GEM and I'll bet has a great tone. I owned a 7 string EH-185, foolishly sold it years ago for peanuts and now I have 2 EH-150 models...both have that fine Gibson sound. Smile

Harry Dietrich

Robesonia, Pennsylvania, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2008 8:53 pm    

http://www.lollarguitars.com/default.htm

Here it is Jeff.

Harry Very Happy

Iain

Edinburgh, Scotland
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2008 7:49 am    

Thanks, everyone, for the tips. I'll contact Paul Warnik, as suggested, and perhaps Gruhn's (although it'd be easier to sell the guitar in the UK, I'd imagine).

I'd be delighted if it were indeed worth $3500-$4000, so I would!
I don't want to eBay it but I'm not sure where else to advertise it. Perhaps on this very site, I suppose.

Anyway, I've added some more pictures, partly to show the wear more clearly.

Good luck getting a big CC style p/up, Jeff: mine certainly has a lovely tone.

chas smith

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2008 10:20 am    

Quote:
I think that's the first 10 string EH150 I've seen. Obviously very rare...
this is the first 10 string EH-150 with a CC pickup I've ever seen.

There are a few of them around, this one is a '38. -- cs

Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2008 11:28 am    

Jeff , Iain took this along to a Dale Watson gig in Glasgow , and it was played by Ricky, sounded real good.As far as I can recall Ricky was realy pleased with it.

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2008 2:07 pm    

I think it's "One of a Kind' The slotted peghead sets it apart..
What's the serial number Ian.. this is the relevant info :-
Quote:
Gibson Factory Order Numbers with a Letter, 1935 to 1941.

Many instruments from 1935 to 1941 have a letter designating the year within the Factory Order Number (FON).
o The FON consists of a batch number, usually 4 digits. Then there is a letter (and sometimes a space), followed by a 1 or 2 digit sequence (ranking) number.
o 1935-1937: Letter is between the batch number and the sequence number. Code is ink stamped on the inside back.
o 1938-1941: two or three letters before sequence number. Code is either ink stamped onto the label or impressed into the back of the peghead (for lap steels, impressed into the back of the body). First letter, indicates the year. Second letter, if there is one, indicates the brand of the instrument: G=Gibson, K=Kalamazoo, W=Recording King (Montgomery Wards). Third letter, if there is one, is "E" for Electric.
o Exceptions: Some high-end models and lapsteels from 1939 to 1940 have the letter A added to the prefixes D, E, or F. This includes the letters DA, EA, FA, followed by 4 digits. Examples include L-5's and Super 400's which have an EA prefix (suggestiong 1939), in addition to a separate paper label indicating 1940 or 1941. In this case the later serial number is the one to believe, as the instrument was probably started and completed in different years.

Year 1st Letter
---- ----------
1935 A
1936 B
1937 C
1938 D, DA
1939 Ex (where 'x' is any other letter)
1940 F, FA
1941 E (with NO other following letter)
1941 G
1942 H

Source :-
http://www.provide.net/~cfh/gibson.html

Model: EH-150/E-150 LapSteel
Available: 1935 to 1943

1935 E-150 Metalbody LapSteel introduction specs:
cast aluminum body, guitar-shaped body with shoulders angled into neck (at a sharper angle than wood EH-150's), Charlie Christian pickup with bound blade, 2 knobs on opposite sides, unbound ebony fingerboard with "V" end (a few with rosewood), inlaid fret markers, metal nut, open back tuners with metal buttons, black painted logo. 98 Metalbody instruments shipped, available 10/1/35 to 3/9/36.
January 1936 EH-150 Woodbody LapSteel introduction specs:
hollow guitar shaped body, shoulders taper into neck more gradually than earlier metal model, maple top (often flame maple), screwed-on back, Charlie Christian pickup with bound blade and unbound outer edge, 2 knobs on opposite sides, triple bound top (early models with single bound top), bound rosewood fingerboard with V-end, pearl fingerboard inlays, pearl logo, no peghead ornament, sunburst finish, 6 or 7 strings (more strings optional).
1937 EH-150 LapSteel specs:
glue-on bound back, bound outer edge of pickup, knobs on same side (1 black, 1 brown), triple bound top and back, 4-piece diamond peghead inlay. 2 neck version available 1937-1938.
1938 EH-150 LapSteel specs:
pickup blade split in middle (pickup magnet underneath top changes to horseshoe shape), triple bound top and back, chrome plated bridge cover.
November 1939 EH-150 LapSteel specs: ES-300 type oblong pickup mounted at a slant.
late 1940 EH-150 LapSteel specs:
Fleur-de-lis peghead inlay.
1941 EH-150 LapSteel specs:
square-end metal fingerboard with fancy markers.
October 1942 EH-150 LapSteel specs:
Solid mahogany body, 5 sided metal control plate, metal covered pickup with raised center (some with tortoiseshell material in center), knobs on opposite sides, triple bound top, single bound back, metal fingerboard, fleur-de-lis peghead inlay (specs identical to the EH-125 except for a trible bound top).
EH-150 discontinued 1943.

Value, ? No less than £2,000 in our money.. I got £2,500 for a Metal body E-150 4 years ago and this is MUCH more collectable.. IMHO
But be aware it's missing the "Black" knob, have you the original case ?

I have a black and a brown knob from this era on a guitar I've no intention of selling, so I MAY be able to help you with that ..

Richard Shatz

Quincy, IL, United States
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2008 2:38 pm    

Basil,
I was going to comment on the slotted headstock. The only slotted headstock Gibson lap steels I know of are the EH185 and EH275.
That's a really beautiful 185 that you posted.

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2008 3:19 pm    

Yes Richard, the slotted headstock makes it "One of a Kind" AFAIK..

As for my EH-185, serial number F611-1 (Another of my "Car Boot Sale Bargains")
(6th November 1940 No.1 of the batch.)
Makes if a "Transitional" model because the F designates 1940, BUT in 1940 they had brown crinkle metal plate, and in 1941 they had metal plate painted black/gray crinkle, ES-300 type pick-up mounted at a slant. Also there's NO non-slip material on the back ?
The complete guitar is totally original including the pots and wiring (Never soldered)

What's it worth Richard.. ??

Iain

Edinburgh, Scotland
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2008 8:58 am    

Thanks, Malcolm: I'd forgotten about Ricky D playing, it with Dale, on the Renfrew Ferry's stage.

And thanks for the detailed info, Basil.
Mine's serial number, impressed into rear of body, is unlike any you've cited. It's just 4 digits, thus: 784-1. No letters.

I'm confused by the mention of a "black knob", by the way - what is it I'm missing? Thanks for mentioning you have a spare one, Basil...but what is it?

Anyway, if I could get over £2000 for it I'd be delighted. I knew it had to be valuable, hence fearing taking it out on gigs, these days. Where did you sell your metal steel, Basil? Have you any ideas as to where I should try to sell my guitar?

Thanks again,
Iain

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2008 9:33 am    

Quote:
Have you any ideas as to where I should try to sell my guitar?

How 'bout here on the Fo'...............bro
fer starters ?

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2008 11:12 am     Black Knob

Ian, in the post I made above :-
Quote:
1937 EH-150 LapSteel specs:
glue-on bound back, bound outer edge of pickup, knobs on same side (1 black, 1 brown), triple bound top and back, 4-piece diamond peghead inlay. 2 neck version available 1937-1938.
1938 EH-150 LapSteel specs:
pickup blade split in middle (pickup magnet underneath top changes to horseshoe shape), triple bound top and back, chrome plated bridge cover.
November 1939 EH-150 LapSteel specs: ES-300 type oblong pickup mounted at a slant.
late 1940 EH-150 LapSteel specs:
Fleur-de-lis peghead inlay.
1941 EH-150 LapSteel specs:
square-end metal fingerboard with fancy markers.
October 1942 EH-150 LapSteel specs:
Solid mahogany body, 5 sided metal control plate, metal covered pickup with raised center (some with tortoiseshell material in center), knobs on opposite sides, triple bound top, single bound back, metal fingerboard, fleur-de-lis peghead inlay (specs identical to the EH-125 except for a trible bound top).
EH-150 discontinued 1943.

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2008 11:14 am    

Quote:
Where did you sell your metal steel, Basil? Have you any ideas as to where I should try to sell my guitar?
I sold it on E-Bay to the wife of the guy who plays guitar with Les Paul. She bought it for her husband as a present..

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2008 2:11 pm     Re: value of a 10 string Gibson EH-150

Iain wrote:
Hi

Does anyone have any idea what this might be worth?

put it on ebay and you'll find out.........

meanwhile......

Iain

Edinburgh, Scotland
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2008 2:23 am    

Oh, well, I suppose ebay might be the way. I'll just set a high(ish) starting price so that it doesn't go too cheaply. It'll be a shame to sell it, really, so I'd rather not let it go for a daft price.

Basil: mine has a screw-on back so the black knob might not be relevant. I'm pretty sure everything is original on it.

Howard: nice guitars!

basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2008 2:43 am    

Iain wrote:

Basil: mine has a screw-on back so the black knob might not be relevant. I'm pretty sure everything is original on it.

Howard: nice guitars!

No Ian, VERY relevant, that means it's a Mk1 CC Pick-up, with the big magnets, therefore the knobs SHOULD look like this one. Black one near the Pick-up and Brown one near the bridge N.B. the SAME design, not different styles..

if you look at the other EH-150 pictures you'll see that on yours, the knob near the bridge IS correct but the one near the pick-up SHOULD match it and it's NOT the same. (It SHOULD be)

Iain

Edinburgh, Scotland
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2008 5:48 am    

Oh, I see - thanks again, Basil. Obviously there must have been wee anomalies, such as mine having a screw-on rather than glue-on back.
So that mean mine's probably a 1937 guitar..?

Anyway, I'll mention the knob info in ebay description. I'll try and get around to listing it later today, or tomorrow, and I'll add a link here, in case anyone's interested in how the guitar gets on there.

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2008 9:46 am    

Iain wrote:
...I'll try and get around to listing it later today, or tomorrow....

Make sure you put a reserve on it. Cool