The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This forum section is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Nick Nixon
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Nick Nixon
Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2008 12:52 am    

One great thing about the Convention is that you always run into people that you would never have expected to meet.

Right next to the MSA room I saw this elderly gentleman, looked at his name tag and saw the name Nick Nixon. I asked him if he was "the" Nick Nixon who recorded for Mercury Records in the 1970s and had several chart hits ("She's Just An Old Love Turned Memory", "Rocking In Rosalee's Boat")and also is the co-writer of Barbara Fairchild's smash hit "Teddy Bear Song", and, sure enough, it was him. One of the nicest guys you can meet. We talked for about an hour (don't know how much good music I missed in the meantime Oh Well )

Here is a picture:

I also have added two tracks to my website, for those who want to listen to Nick Nixon. Oh, not to forget - Lloyd Green on steel! Smile

Here's the link:

http://www.lloydgreentribute.com/AustrianSteelguitar/Forum.htm

Enjoy!

Kind Regards, Walter

Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2008 4:56 am    

Yes Nick is a class act and I'm so glad to see him getting back into music.I ran into him a few weeks at the Leona williams show at Hawk Point. I didn't recognize him either.
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.

Red Kilby

Pueblo, CO, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2008 11:37 am    

Thanks Walter!!!

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2008 12:55 pm    

Walter, thanks for posting about Nick. I saw him singing in the Fulawka room and didn't realize who it was until he was just about finished. I wasn't there when he started so I didn't hear him announced. One of his tunes my band did in the seventies was his "I'll Get Over You" which was and still is one of my favorite country tunes of all time. When he was finished he left the room and I didn't see where he went so I didn't get to talk to him. What a great voice this guy has. A great example of someone who could've been bigger than he was but chose to stay in his home town!....JH in Va.

Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2008 2:17 pm    

Actually Jerry, Nick came close with that song
He was being produced a that time by Billy Sherril who at that time was also handeling George and Tammy and Nick was seriously over shadow for years.
Nick is a great singer.
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.

Bill Taft

Sturgeon Mo. USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2008 8:56 pm     What a surprize

I was walking by and heard someone calling my name out 2 or 3 times hey Bill, so I stopped and looked around and didnt see anyone but then Nick grabbed my arm and said it's me and you dont remember me because I didnt dye my hair, but you played steel a few months ago at a show in Frankford Mo. Jennings Opry, and we sit down and you sang some of your original songs and I sang you some of mine and we had a great time and had a great crowd at the show.
Well my head got a little bigger then when he remembered me and gave me a great complement on playing steel behing him on the show, so it showed me what a good man he was just to speak to a steel player who just plays well enough to get by so I thank you Nick for that and hope you all sussess and by the bookings you have looks like you will be busy enough which is good for about the best country singer and writer in the St. Louis Area and if you ever need a steel man or lead or extra singer just call me anytime will be more then happy to help--Bill Taft--1-573-687-3710 Sturgeon Mo. 20 miles north of Columbia Mo.
God Bless,
Bill---billrt@centurytel.net

Lonnie Portwood

Jacksonville, fl. USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2008 8:01 pm    

Nick walked into the Fulawka room and we just started pickin around, someone said "do mirrows", and I jokingly said there are two songs we don't do in the Fulawka room,0ne is "mirrows, and two is "way to survive. Well we messed around a few minutes, then we kicked off "mirrows" and Nick blew me away!! When He finished, I told Nick that his version would be allowed in the Fulawka room!! I feel like we met a new friend and wish we had a video of it. I asked Nick if He could sing Lefty's "Mom and Dad Waltz, and He nailed it!! We had a rare musical experience that day, I will never forget. Lonnie Portwood