The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This forum section is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Apoligy to my friends
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Apoligy to my friends
Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2008 4:52 pm    

To my friends from IL,MO,KY,OK,KA and Arizona. I am sorry we did not get to play in the Derby room Sat as planned, but it was out of my control.I was ask to not play my used Derby and play one of the new ones on stage, which I choose not to because I was not use to it.
Next year I will be playing my own Steel, which I will call the AMERICAN. It will be made from the best parts from Carter,Emmons,Derby,Zum,Mullen,MSA ect. and will have GFI bellcranks so when I walk into a room and want to play, no one can turn me down because I'll have a part of thier steel with me. I hate politics.
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.

Nick Reed

Russellville, KY USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2008 9:47 pm    

Bill,
I don't like politics either. But in this case I sorta understand they're reasoning. Charlie Stepp is trying to get orders for new Derby guitars. He pays Scotty alot of money to have his own display room. It's a marketing thing because they're trying to properly showcase their NEW Derby guitars. However, I have seen several times in the Derby room where Ron Elliott & Billy Robinson get to play they're own already broke-in Derby's. If it were me, I'd just get me a good Emmons and forget the rest Laughing

Nick

Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2008 5:59 am    

Nick, I do understand all of this and Charlie has helped me out with parts Ect when needed. BUT since I bought my Steel I have promoted this Steel Company both here on the forum and in the open public, at shows ect. as much as anybody. I know other people bring thier own steels.There are several reasons I go the convention 1 is to visit with and make new friends and 2 is to play music with those friends in hopes someone may hear me and want me to work with them. There were 4 of these people there Sat. who wanted to hear me play but didn't get to.
I am serious, I intend to replace the weaknesses in the Derby with the strenth of some of the other brands and call it The American...as for as buying an Emmons as for as I'm concerned that what I have.
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2008 6:08 am    

Bill, this is really none of my business, but I'm guessing they would be even less inclined to let you play your own fabrication than a used model of their brand. I don't think this is gonna make it better for you, but, hey, what do I know? Good luck to you.

Bob Knight

Bowling Green KY
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2008 9:24 am    

Quote:
I intend to replace the weaknesses in the Derby with the strenth of some of the other brands
Bill,
Exactly what are the weaknesses in a Derby? I have owned several of them over the years and as far as I'm concerned, they are one of the finer guitars built today.
But, as JC says, "what do I know"

Bob Rolling Eyes

Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2008 11:03 am    

Bob, I'm not about to get into the mechanics of the Steel they all have their weakness. As I've said many, many times here on the forum I love my Derby, and still do its just that right now I'm ashamed to say I own one. My feelings are hurt and I'm sorta ticked off about the whole thing.
I have worked very hard promoting and telling everyone how great my Derby is, and not being able to play it in the Derby room is an insult and an embarrasment to me. I know for a fact because of me some Derby's have been sold, that should have earned me a little respect. Lynn Owsley, Billy Robinson and Ron Elliot all play their own Steels. OK maybe I'm not a Nashville picker but I'm not a bad player either.
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.

richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2008 11:32 am    

I wouldn't be able to sit down 'cold' at a new steel and expect to be able to play it as easily as my own steels that I have 'tweaked' to suit my ergonomics, and I am surprised that this was expected of Bill.

Ronnie Boettcher

Brunswick Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2008 3:15 pm    

Bill, I really know how you feel. It has happened to me many times with different things. In todays world, it is the "hooray for me, and who are you". You try and do good for people, and no respect is shown back to you. I couldn't make the convention, but reading some of the articles here, I can relate to many persons that were given the cold shoulder. It's he who has, gets. If I would have gone to the show, I would have wanted to try different brands too. I am not in the market for a new steel, but maybe playing some, would change my thoughts. Good luck with your own design. Ronnie

Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2008 4:12 pm    

Bob, I have to ask you to close this up. I'm getting phone calls,Threats of a law suit, I was told to never show up in the Derby room again. I have also lost a good friend over this, well maybe he wasn't such a good friend after all. I'm getting emails from people who have been through the same thing.
This wasn't meant to be a vendetta against the Derby company,especially for anyone other than me.But I see this getting out of hand and want to stop it now.
I feel I was done wrong and apperantly I'm not the only one, nuff said.
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.

Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2008 5:30 pm    

On second thought after recieving a couple emails from some very famous Steelers lets let it ride.
Because I do have a right to express my feelings.
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.

Richard Douthitt

Coxs Creek, KY, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2008 7:01 pm    

Bill, I feel I have to get in on this one since I am friends on both sides of the fence. You have been nothing but extremely nice to me and I consider you a friend so I just wanna maybe give you a different view on the issue at hand because I too have had something similar happen to me before and a lesson was learned. The Derby room is one of the best jam rooms up there and is appealing to alot of steelers, guitarists, singers, fiddlers etc... What I saw was that you had your steel, electric guitar, and amplifier setup on the side of the stage where normaly guitarists, and fiddlers used to swap out gear during jams. These musicians also used to have stage ettiquete and would use their time evenly among the different ones wanting to play. The last few years some would setup and stay setup to play with the bigger artists and would "hog" the stage. Personally I don't care if I'm up there or not and certainly appreciate you asking and letting me play your Tele but just as you are learning I also hate "politics" but sometimes it happens. I agree things may not have been handled right but I think they were just wanting to open up the corner for a certain guitar player they favor. I might be wrong because I don't know the facts but this was an observation on what I saw and what I have experienced when I used to bring my gear. Hold your head up and keep pickin that steel because that's the spirit of St. Louis...to keep the steel guitar alive. E-mail me and we'll chat more on the subject between ourselves. wichita@bardstown.com

Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2008 7:34 pm    

Thanks Witch, You are a friend and I thank you for your input. The reason I was set up where I was is that I was told I couldn't set up on the stage. Again there were some friends who wanted me to play with them and I really didn't think it was a big deal. I was ask to bring my Steel so they could see my volume pedal. You are right it could have and should have been handled differently. After being ask to move my stuff Friday nite I ask Charlie if I had done somthing wrong,his comment was no if I had he would tell me. So when I was setting up my steel Sat morning I was told there were three Steels up there and that was enough. And why couldn't I play one of the steels that was already on stage. I have my steel set up different and I said as much. Maybe its just a big misunderstanding but if so some one owes me and opoligy. AND you can play my Tele anytime.
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.

Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2008 8:28 am    

I would like to apoligize for one statement, that being the weekness in the Derby guitar. It was childish and uncalled for but when your mad you sometimes say things you shouldn't and I thank a good friend for pointing this out. The Derby Is a great guitar and Its not the guitars fault this happened.

Bob, Please close this.
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.

Rob Parker

Paducah, Kentucky, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2008 9:24 am    

Mr Bill,
I'm sorry for any problems you encountered, for whatever the reason..

Quote..."so when I walk into a room and want to play, no one can turn me down because I'll have a part of thier steel with me. I hate politics."

Just my thoughts...the vendors,builders, and distributors that buy their rooms from Scotty to display, and audition their products, have the say-so of who and when anyone plays in their room, or on their stage..irregardless of what brand,or design of instrument may be brought in.
I have never seen a problem develop over who can, or cannot play,( but their stages are kept pretty busy, so you may have to get in line ) or what product they use..But it is good business to present their product in their room,in the most favorable, and beneficial way.
I certainly hope this mis-understanding is resolved for the ones involved, in the best possible way..with the least amount of lingering after effects.
Just MHO..
Thank all of you for a great show...
RP...'come on in'...

Charles McGough

Sterlington, LA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2008 10:21 am    

Ron Elliott was not playing his own steel. I was there Friday when he set up and tuned up the brand new guitar. Ron's own guitar is black. The one he was playing in the Derby Room was teal green. The C6th pedal set up was backward from his normal set up. I don't remember about Lynn. Of course Billy plays a non pedal cusrtom built guitar with a unusual tuning.

Bob Callaway

Bob & Barbara of Shepherdsville, Kentucky
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2008 10:38 am    

Bill. We try to keep two steels on stage at all times one day and one emmons set up. As you know the stage is very small. I don't know who told you not to show up in the Derby room again but I do know it was not Charlie or me. You did set your steel up beside the stage and play on it, also did some back up singing with other singers while playing your steel beside the stage. However when you went to play your lead guitar you set your amp up directly in front of Bobby Reeds amp so Bobby being the kind person he is he just turned his off and let you play the rest of that set. I thought that was extremly nice of him. Also Charlie has not threatened anyone with a lawsuit. I was there!
Bob Callaway
Member LMSGC, NTSGA, ASGA, OzarkSGA, PSGA,
www.BobCallaway

Don Lampley

Thompsonville, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2008 11:23 am    

Bill sorry you had the trouble and I know it makes you mad and hurt but life is to short to carry a grudge all that does is eat at you. I think its time to put this to rest any time you get that many people together someone will get there fillings hurt but all in all it was a great show and the music in the Derby room was topnotch as usuall. just my thought. Don

Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2008 11:26 am    

Thank you Bob, The statement did not come from Charlie himself but through a phone call I got.
This person is calling all my friends a bad mouthing me.
If I remember I ask Bobby If I could set my amp there.
He said he was tired and was going to take a break anyway.
What hurts me the most is that although I don't receive a paycheck, I felt I was a part of the Derby Team. I have been promoting Derby every where I go.
At shows and here on the forum.
Sat was very important to me to get to play as there was some people who wanted to hear me play as to do some jobs for them and I was embarrassed to have tell them I couldn't. Maybe I was wrong in doing an adutition on Derbys time but on the other hand I don't see what it would have hurt because nothing was really going on then. I love to play so much that I take every chance I get to play live. Its the only way to get where I want to be on this insrument. I have considered Charlie and Margit my friends and thought I meant more than this to them. I give my heart felt apoligy if I did something wrong in the Derby room to have caused this. I just can't figure out what it was.
Charles I'm sorry I meant Lynn Owsley. But these guys could play anything set up any way I hope to get there someday.
Don you are right the whole thing was a bad deal and I want it to end so no more people get hurt thats why I want this closed.
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.

Jaynette Mondie

Louisville, KY
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2008 12:10 pm    

Bill - You did play for HOURS on Friday in the Derby Room. Perhaps you should watch the DVDs that Carl Kilmer recorded as you were playing. Ron Elliott did not play his guitar - he played the teal guitar with the "Day" setup. We do not pay anyone to play our guitars - they do it for the love of the instrument and entertainment. My Dad, Charlie Stepp, did NOT threaten you or tell you not to come back into the Derby room. The room is setup to sell steel guitars and for demonstrations. We try to give everyone a chance to come in and play - not just one or two players. The room is not setup for auditions for a gig. If you truly were a part of the Derby team then you should have talked with the team BEFORE you posted your remarks publicly. We at Derby are committed to excellence, fairness,and courtesy for all - not just a few. We all wish you the best in your endeavor, The American.

From all of us at Derby - the convention was fantastic once again. Hope to see everyone next year!

Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2008 1:24 pm    

Jaynette Mondie wrote:
Bill - You did play for HOURS on Friday in the Derby Room. Perhaps you should watch the DVDs that Carl Kilmer recorded as you were playing. Ron Elliott did not play his guitar - he played the teal guitar with the "Day" setup. We do not pay anyone to play our guitars - they do it for the love of the instrument and entertainment. My Dad, Charlie Stepp, did NOT threaten you or tell you not to come back into the Derby room. The room is setup to sell steel guitars and for demonstrations. We try to give everyone a chance to come in and play - not just one or two players. The room is not setup for auditions for a gig. If you truly were a part of the Derby team then you should have talked with the team BEFORE you posted your remarks publicly. We at Derby are committed to excellence, fairness,and courtesy for all - not just a few. We all wish you the best in your endeavor, The American.

From all of us at Derby - the convention was fantastic once again. Hope to see everyone next year!

As I have said earlier the threats did not come from Charlie but from a Phone call I got from one of your people.
I was ask to bring my Derby to the Derby room this year and play. I was told to set up where I did.
I have worked very hard this past year to get to the point I felt good about playing in the Derby room, it meant a lot me. As for as playing for hours I don't feel I played any longer than any one else, but you know how time flies when your haveing fun. Last year I played lead and rythm for about 5 hrs on friday and about the same on Sat. and no-one complained because I was the only one there until Rodney and Wichita showed up.
I didn't have to take my steel to Baxter Springs or to Mount Vernon and show it to folks, promoting the Derby.Here on the forum I have promoted the Derby company a lot,,,check my post if you will.
If you don't want me to play my Steel or Guitar thats fine. All I need is for some one say so and why, in a nice way. Don't make me feel like a second rate player, because I don't deserve that. and please leave Ron Elliot out of this. Ron is a friend and it dont matter what he plays its good.You have to admit that there was used Derbys on that stage all the time. with that said I've ask that this be closed and want no more greif. As for as my statement about the American, I have already apoligized about that, it was a joke and you are taking it wrong. As for as talking to a team member about this believe me I tried. I do thank you for your input.
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.

Tay Joslin

Clarksvillle, Tennessee USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2008 2:14 pm    

As a preacher, I feel inclined to remind all of us that the Bible says in James 5:9, "Grudge not one against another, brethren, lest ye be condemned; behold, the judge standeth before the door".

Close this post and spare everybody a lot of hurt feelings. Shake it off, and try a little brotherly kindness.

'Nuff said.

Tim Bridges

Hoover, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2008 12:44 pm    

Bill,

I don't know you, but I've read a couple of your comments on various threads. You seem like a level headed man with a true love of the steel and music. I do know Charlie & Margit Stepp and two finer people you will never meet.

It seems as though you had some high expectations for the ISGC, which were based on a few assumptions. It really can be a disappointment when things just don't pan out. Especially when you have friends and others that you have apparently told you would be performing. Well, chalk this one up to experience and either plan better, or know better next time. But, most of all, let things like this sit for 2-3 weeks and think about it before you do something you may regret. What we say, do, or post, can influence opinions of us that may, or may not represent who we really are.

I read so may posts where people hold others responsible, or to blame. Often it is due to poor planning and over committing.

Best of luck to you and I hope b0b closes this one down soon. I played a Derby for several years and can't think of a single weakness in these well crafted, well designed, hand built, beautiful, TONE MACHINES. Call ahead next time and be specific as to how can you get worked in to someones "program". Also, ask them if you can play YOUR rig. Otherwise, get a slot in the jazz room; you play your own rig in there. I know if I would have the KAHUNAS to get up there with those monster players.

Best of luck! Smile

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2008 1:48 pm    

Interesting discussion.

I guess b0b isn't reading this, so I'll close it as you requested.