The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What do you do for a living?
Austin Tripp

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2008 7:24 pm    

I dont know how to ask this any other way but,, for those of you who are not playing music professionally,, what is your career? I am going to college (one day) and becoming a welding engineer, the only problem is, I am scared of the loud noises,, because it might hurt my "music" ear. Also I dont want my fingers or "anything" else cut off Shocked But that is going to be my career. Whats yours?

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2008 7:26 pm    

I am a Sheriff's Deputy.

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2008 7:40 pm    

I work in the wine label printing industry as a digital prepress operator. Sitting at a computer desk all day doesn't make me feel good but I am counting my blessings that I have a decent job and a career.

On the weekends I'm a..... you guessed it, a weekend warrior musician! Very Happy

Bryan Knox

Gardendale, Alabama...Ya'll come
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2008 7:42 pm    

I am a professional auctioneer, specializing in real estate and automobiles.

www.jpking.com

1976 MSA D-10 8+4, Mullen D10 8+4, G&L Skyhawk, Fender '52RI Telecaster, Eastman MD 615 lefty mandolin, Fender DPC750 w/Tubefex, Custom Twin Tweed Cabs w/ Peavey 1504's, 70's Fender Super Reverb, Martin D28-L.

Last edited by Bryan Knox on 1 Jun 2010 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

Farris Currie

Ona, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2008 8:02 pm    

AUSTIN,

i am 67 now, and started my own country machine shop in 1972.

Always think before doing something stupid!!!!!!!!

Yes, i've hit my hands and fingers, and pinched fingers good. but always think!!!!!

Had a grown man working for me held a 3" pc of tubeing in his fingers, tryed to drill a hole thru one end, drill press beat 2 fingers off. '

always clamp or put a pc. in a vise ect.

just gotta use common sense. i been a machinist most of my life. farris

Austin Tripp

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2008 8:24 pm    

Hey Farris, My welding teacher at school always says " if your not scared of it, DONT USE IT, if you are scared of it use it". I try not to get "cocky" st school when we teach the 9th graders how to Mig and Tig weld. But sometimes it gets the best of me and I show off a little bit. I guess its common for a musician to show off, in any type of enviroment.

Carl Vilar

New Jersey USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2008 8:51 pm    

I own a clock repair shop but have someone run the daily operation because I don't like the retail end of it so I just show my face a couple of times a week I also make clock parts involves using a lathe and milling machine. And drive a tractor trailer locally for one of the top three pickup and delivery company hey it was me that broke your steel. and of course gig out as much as time permitts.

Steve Norman

Seattle Washington, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2008 9:05 pm    

bike courier, poor career choice,,whos hiring?

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2008 9:24 pm    

gosh, i feel like a freak...i always just played steel. maybe i don't belong here!

John Roche

England
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2008 1:08 am    

Chris, we should start our own club, played steel for a living since 1976..

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2008 2:17 am    

I don't do anything, I'm retired. Laughing

But, I worked in electronics and computers including an Air Force Tech School Instructor, an amp tech at a Nashville music store, a programmer at NASA and a Computer Network and Help Desk manager at the Social Security Admin (for 23 years until I retired).

Tonu Timm

Estonia
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2008 2:21 am    

I've been 'active' musician about 25 years now and happy to declare - yes, it's possible to make living with your favourite hobby! Wink

Ray McCarthy

New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2008 2:24 am    

I'm a cabinet/furniture maker by trade--lost most of my left forfinger and part of the thumb on a table saw about ten years ago. Luckily I can still hold the bar enough to play, but I can't lift it off the strings to just use the tip like you see players do often, and once in a while I lose it completely.
Also, the noise of the machines has left me with a constant low-level ringing in my ears, which can't help my intonation, etc. You hear some guys saying things like "always be careful", but the fact is none of us is careful ALL the time, even if we think we are.
Get into sales. That's where the money is, and there are no dangers!

bob Ousby

Nevada, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2008 3:24 am    

I work as a respiratory therapist for a pulmonary medical group in Reno doing lung function testing. I also am a pastor (So. Baptist) but I'm not pastoring currently.

Terry Kinnear

Erie ,Pennsylvania
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2008 3:48 am    

I"m a service tech, for food service.I work 1 mile from home. We sell pots,pans , fryers, ranges , refrigerators.everything from household, to restaurant equipment.I also do the commericals for the store. [yep,hillbilly style commericals] folks around these parts ,say ,I ain"t all there. even have billboards.[next to skid marks,and bullet holes.but I steel have fun. Tk

Don Sulesky

Citrus County, FL, Orig. from MA & NH
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2008 4:14 am    

I'm retired now.
I retired at the age of 54, twelve years ago.
I was a designer for Polaroid Corp. for 31 years and took an early buyout.
Best thing I ever did.
Now I enjoy playing and teaching music.
Don

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2008 4:24 am    

I drive around North and South Carolina trying to get peoples money out of there pockets into mine..

I'm a Sales guy Smile

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2008 4:35 am    

I'm a bank trust/investment officer and a Certified Trust & Financial Advisor.

CLICK HERE

Last edited by Lee Baucum on 29 Aug 2008 4:38 am; edited 1 time in total

Roual Ranes

Atlanta, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2008 4:38 am    

I am retarded.........er uhm retired. I was always a week-end warrior. I have always appreciated what the "road" musicians went through. I was/not now good enough to make a living at it........can fool some of the people some of the time.

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2008 4:43 am    

Hi Austin,

I used to play professionally but like alot of these guys and gals on here, I now have to work for a living. Winking

Just kiddin'

These days, I teach about 500 Kindergarten and First Grade students Art each week and that will keep you busy. I also have two junior high schoolers and a preschooler at my house and I watch them while their mommy works evenings.

When I get the time, I play music with area groups and do recording sessions. I also teach steel guitar and have several students doing correspondence steel teaching and some at my home.

Sunday mornings, I teach children's church and play music some at the church we attend.

Lastly, I wish that I had a few more honey-do jobs around the house. I just can't seem to get enough to do. Very Happy

Terry Wood

Mike Ester

New Braunfels, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2008 5:31 am    

Computer support technician for a community college. Never played full-time.

Guess I forgot to add what I did before. After high school, I spent 4 years in the Air Force, loading nukes on B52-D aircraft. After I got out, I spent 15 years turning wrenches on motorcycles. Then I changed to computer support.

Last edited by Mike Ester on 30 Aug 2008 8:24 am; edited 1 time in total

Allen Peterson

Katy, Texas
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2008 5:44 am    

I am a professional geologist. I find oil and gas for Apache Corporation here in Houston, Texas. Yes, I work for one of those big, bad oil companies that cause you so much agony at the gas pump. But hey, I am one of the good guys. I find the stuff for you to burn up in your SUV or whatever.

I also got licensed as a professional genealogist through the Board for Certification of Genealogists. I plan to hang out my shingle when I retire from the oil business in a few years.

I only play my steel for fun in a band that plays about once a month.

My advice to you is to get an education. You can never have too much education. Find something you like and be the best you can at it.

Allen Peterson

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2008 5:59 am    

i'm a part time week end warrior
otherwise, i'm an electrician, roofer, tiler, dry waller

Richard Marko

Dallas, Texas
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2008 6:03 am    

I'm a TPM "Total Productive Maintenence" Coordinator
and work both in the office and on the floor in the cabinet wood working industry.
There are alot of hazards in any industry and the thing you MUST do as stated above is take your time !!
Do the the two second rule, think first and no risks-you'll be sorry if you do!!
Haste makes waste and if the boss or someone is behind you making you work fast and unsafe - find another job !!!
I've had a few past bosses just push their way in and do so stuff unsafe and got hurt !!
These kind of guys don't learn - don't take after them !!
Always inspect your equipment before using it, trust no one - only your self !!!
Alot of companies use the "Coastal" videos to train on all of this stuff and are very graphic - anyone in industry should see them - it gets the point across !!
I use to be a trainer at Toshiba and used these videos, everybody was shocked and afterwards our safety record improved.
Always wear your PPE "Personal Protective Equipment", there have been times I was glad to be wearing it - it works BELIEVE ME !!

Ron Wright

Modesto,CA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2008 7:01 am    

I'm retired now, I fish and attempt to play steel.
I played full time in the 70's never had time to learn how to play steel, just did it. Now i have time to learn.Currently playing with a once or twice a month band.Before retiring I was a millwright/mech supervisor for Fluor Daniels Const ..also have been a Tax Accountant for 30 years(fishing and steel money now lol)