The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This forum section is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Live from the I.S.G.C.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Live from the I.S.G.C.
Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2008 10:43 am    

Well, the vendors are coming in and getting set up, the talent show is under way, and everything is shaping up to be a really great show. The staff band is showing us why they are the best in the business! They should really be in the groove for tonight's HOF show. The house sound is as terrific as always. This is gonna be GOOOOOOOOD! Stay tuned for updates.

Larry Jamieson

Walton, NY USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2008 5:12 pm    

Roger,
Thanks for keeping us poor guys here at home informed. Let us know what is happening each day if you have time to post. Enjoy the show!
Larry J. stuck here in New York...

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2008 7:15 pm    

The talent show is in the books, and all the players did great (me being the lone possible exception!). I wasn't scheduled to play, but the opening performer wasn't available and I was asked to fill in. Thanks to my friends at Carter Guitars for loaning me all the gear to use. The two highlites in my opinion were Tyler Hall and Joe Turner. They showed us why Russ Hicks chose them to be in the Steel Guitar Idol. We're in the middle of "The Jimmy Queen Show" raising money for the HOF. The steelers on stage are Mike Sigler, Herby Wallace and Russ Weaver. Scotty even got up and did a song on Russ' Gibson Console. In addition to some fine vocals by Rob Parker, Red Kilby, Jimmy Qqueen and Starla Queen, guest singers have been Leona Williams and Johnny Bush. Johnny's "Farewell Party" made the hair on my arms stand up! Gotta get back to work, more to follow!

Larry Jamieson

Walton, NY USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2008 3:34 pm    

Thanks for the update, Roger. Keep 'em coming!
Larry J.

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2008 7:51 pm    

The opening ceremonies were complete with Old Glory being presented with Ron Elliott's "America The Beautiful" and Russ Weaver's National Anthem. After that Jim Loessberg and Johnny Bush gave us quite a show of REAL country music. Johnny was in great voice and Jim was on top of his game with his PP Emmons. Johnny closed the program with another perfomance of "Farewell Party". Jim was dead on the old Jimmy Day version, what a treat that was! After that, Ron Elliott, Doug Jernigan, Bert Rivera played spectacular sets as you would expect. Then, there wasn't a dry eye in the house when Larry Sasser, Russ Hicks, Randy Beavers and Doug Jernigan did a tribute to Papa John Hughey. Herby Wallace came on played some of the selections from his new CD (it's a good one, you NEED to get!), Russ Hicks showed us his usual wit and talent,and Randy Beavers is about to go on. I'll get back to you later on that!

Tony Palmer

St Augustine,FL
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2008 8:51 pm    

Correction Roger: The tribute was done for John Hughey and Don Helms as well. Russ Hicks played I Can't Help It If I'm Still in Love With You and Doug Journigan played I Saw The Light.
Afterwards, Bobby Caldwell brought Jean Hughey on stage during the final song, Look At Us....it was quite memorable and a testament to the closeness of the steel guitar family.

Shopping list so far: CD's by Tommy Dodd, Mike Headrick and an autographed CD from Norm Hamlet.
Many finger picks and thumbpicks and a John Hughey steel bar by BJS (lighter than normal).

Looking forward to three sets tomorrow by the three Mikes:
Johnson, Sweeney and Sigler!

On another note, attendance seems way down this year.

Doc Rickles

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2008 8:59 am     Important Roger Call Me

Roger Call Me!
Very Important
Doc Rickles
205 239 5374

John Floyd

R.I.P.
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2008 10:51 am     Roger, Important News for those from the following areas

The Hurricane Gustav Situation has rapidly developed into A Cat 4 hurricane and expected to become a Cat 5 Hurricane by Tomorrow and is headed toward The Louisana, Texas area and could potentially change course toward Misissippi or Alabama. Here is a link to the National Hurricane Center. CNN is reporting that the storm is 300 miles wide.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Convention attendees should keep an eye toward the news every once in a while and not get too caught up in the Convention, that this important news is missed.

Please pass this on to Bill Stafford and all the rest of the folks from the gulf coast regions.
John

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2008 8:30 am    

Sorry to not be able to follow up with thigs as they were happening, our feed to the sound table was off more than it was on. To sum it up, quite a spectacular weekend! Scotty seems to pull new and exciting things out of his hat every year, and this one was no exception. The staff band, the house sound, ALL of the players...WOW.