The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sacred Steel Convention
Bob Stone

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2000 5:26 am    

Last Minute Reminder - The First Annual Sacred Steel Convention takes place Friday 3/31 and Saturday 4/1 at the Bush Auditorium on the beautiful Rollins College campus in Winter Park (Orlando), Florida. All the great House of God steelers and their bands will be there including the Campbell Brothers and Katie Jackson, Aubrey Ghent and Friends, Robert Randolph, Glenn Lee, Ted Beard, Lonnie "Big Ben" Bennett, Calvin Cooke. Chuck Campbell, Robert Randolph and Ted Beard will be giving technique workshops.

For more info call Marcus Hardy at 904-698-2547 or Email me.

Jim Peter

Mendon,Mich USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2000 9:42 am    

Sure wish I could make it to this. I just read this review in the current issue of Rolling Stone.

Calvin Cooke, Robert Randolf, Willie Eason and the Cambell brothers, Chuck and Derrick, are not guitar gods. They play screaming steels for the glory of God on Sacred Steel-Live, an incandescent survey, cut mostly during real services, of an extraodinary subgengre of Pentecostal church music. The vocal testimony is enough to give you shivers, but the bowed-head sublimity of Cooke and Eason's pick'n'glide will have you on your knees in awe. And the Cambells tandem hosannas on lap and pedal-steel in "God is a Good God" and "Sit Down If You Can" (they're not kidding) will scare Satan out of any amplifier. Imagine if Jeff Beck got religion or if Junior Brown traded in his Stetson for a pastor's collar. Then pray for volume Two.

[This message was edited by Jim Peter on 30 March 2000 at 09:43 AM.]

Bob Stone

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2000 6:48 am    

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the heads-up on the Rolling Stone review.

The Convention exceeded everyone's expectations. Saturday night's concert was, as they say, "house wrecking." The whole thing was recorded on 16-channel digital for a new Arhoolie CD. I'll keep the Forum posted. Fall 2000 release is logical from a marketing standpoint.

NPR is interviewing Chuck Campbell Tuesday and we are trying to get a few minutes of live music to them ASAP. They want to do a piece about the convention for broadcast on Morning Edition. Stay tuned out there in Radioland.

I hope to have a photo or two from the Convention posted soon.

All the best,

Bob