The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This forum section is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Have you been to the top of the Arch?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Been to the Top of the Arch?
yes
70%
 70%  [ 29 ]
no
24%
 24%  [ 10 ]
are you crazy?
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 41

Author Topic:  Have you been to the top of the Arch?
Greg Simmons

where the buffalo (used to) roam AND the Mojave
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2008 10:14 am    

I just realized I've had the privilege of being able to attend ISGC for about 7 or so years now and other than gazing out the hotel room window at it, I've yet to spend any time over at the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial, let alone take the tram ride to the top of the arch...so just curious, anybody done the trip up?

Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2008 10:45 am    

Greg, once I finally made it to the top, there was a really great view. Unfortunately, there was some sort of mechanical/power failure on the ride up and I was stuck in one of the little elevator "cars" for about an hour (don't know how common this is). As I remember, the cars seated 6 (?) people shoulder to shoulder and were really cramped. As the heat started to build with the power failure, I have to admit to getting a little stressed out.
There was a really interesting museum of American Westward Expansion in the base of the arch if you make it over there.

Tiny Olson

Mohawk River Valley, Upstate NY
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2008 10:50 am    

I have been to the top of the Arch. It wasn't while at The Convention though. It was in 1979 I believe while working with Gene Watson. We were doing a show in the St. Louis area and I drove our bus into town to do some railfanning and visit The Arch before the show. I couldn't get anyone else in the band interested or to leave the motel so I went by myself.

Chris "Tiny" Olson

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2008 11:15 am    

Yeah, great view of the area, and like Jeff says, a really neat museum. I usually have a really great view of the Tums factory from my room at the Mill.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2008 11:33 am    

I took my whole family on the trip to the top. The area below the arch is pretty cool too as you look up at the massive structure. St. Louis has a lot of attractions for families. We spent 3 days there on our way to Branson.

Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Colm Chomicky

Kansas, (Prairie Village)
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2008 3:55 pm    

I stopped in St. Louis while driving between Pennsylvania and Kansas during the Flood of 1993. Went to the top and was impressed with the view. I haven't taken the time to do that during the Convention, got my priorities Smile

I also got attacked by an overly protective bluejay as I was walking on the sidewalk back to the parking garage.

Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2008 4:58 pm    

Actually I've been on the very top where the red lite is. They hook you on with ropes. I've never been that scared in my life. The wind was blowing and you could feel the arch moving back and forth.
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.

Jeff Bradshaw

Leslieville, Alberta - Canada
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2008 6:24 pm    

hey greg, I have not but will be glad to keep you company on the ride up... your friend...jeff

Don Sulesky

Citrus County, FL, Orig. from MA & NH
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2008 5:44 am    

I was up in the arch in 1971 when I visited my mother who lived in a St. Louis suburb.
I don't care for heights but found it enjoyable.
Don

Neil Lang

Albert Lea, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2008 5:01 am    

Yes,
We went up there in the early 1970's. Also LOVE the top of the Riverfront for dinner in the evening, beautiful views and great food. Have done that at least 6 times.
Neil

Luke Morell

Ramsey Illinois, USA Hometown of Tex Williams
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2008 2:05 pm    

Yes, been up in it 4 or 5 times.Alot of fun.

Tommy Young

Ethelsville Alabama
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2008 7:37 pm    

YES I have it was 1997 I think and was it hot going up and down both was """hot""" but was cool when you got to the top great view both sides couldn't recognize anyone from on top hahaha.

TOMMY YOUNG
MAX-TONE MODIFICATIONS

JB Arnold

Longmont,Co,USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2008 4:56 am    

Oh, yeah, I've done the whole St Louis thing a couple of times-my ex wife was from there. I don't recall thinking that the whole experience was worth the wait, heat, and hassle.

But I grew up with the Empire State building..

JB

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2008 9:06 am    

Yep, been there a few times when we lived in the St. Louis area. Do take some time to look around the museum down below.
The St.Louis Zoo is very nice also, and it's free!
"Teach Your Children Well"

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2008 3:45 pm    

I've been up there several times. I didn't feel any "sway" like some say you can.

Olli Haavisto

Jarvenpaa,Finland
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2008 8:26 am    

Of course ! The Arc was designed by a finnish architect, after all !

Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2008 11:09 am    

YES!

Last edited by Theresa Galbraith on 11 Aug 2008 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total

Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2008 11:11 am    

I suggest going UP, it's Amazing! Smile
I too, suggest the ZOO and other sights in St.Louis. Great food! Smile

Ronnie Boettcher

Brunswick Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2008 5:46 pm    

Yes I was up there in March of 92. It was a blast. Wish I could have went up to the red light on top. I would have loved to stand up there on the top too. I did work on structures up to 708 feet high, so height is like standing on the ground. If you ever see the terminal tower in Cleveland lit up, I put all the lights on it, from the 4th floor, to the base of the flag pole. Would have loved to put the lights on that arch too.

Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2008 9:35 pm    

Ronnie, In the early 90s I worked as a senior tech with thw university here in Rolla UMR.We invented the water knife. We were cutting the rock out from under the south leg of the Arch with high pressure water jets for the theater. One day the matainance crew took two of us up to change the red warning light. I was so scared I don't think I ever got off my knees. They have saftey hooks on top and you have to have a saftey harness. But I can say I have really been on top of the Arch. Shocked
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.

Ronnie Boettcher

Brunswick Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2008 7:16 pm    

Bill, glad you went there, and now you can brag about it. See, it wasn't really that bad, maybe scary at first, but you did it. I'm well known in my Cleveland union as one that can work up high, and have no fear. I'm retired now, so some other sparky can take my place. (PS, was your pants dry when you came down?)

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2009 3:54 pm    

bump

PaulKing

Post  Posted 14 May 2009 5:30 pm     arch

I have been to the top of the arch three times. It is really a nice view of St. Louis.

John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 17 May 2009 7:08 am    

I have been to the "Arch" several times. It has a great view. But, my wife wanted to climb out of the little car and walk back down the steps. She couldn't stand the confinement of the small elevator car. She closed her eyes and made it to the top, though. She wasn't that impressed. We both like and visit the museum every time we're there, though.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 18 May 2009 10:28 am    

I am so terrified of heights that there is no power on earth that could persuade me to do it.

I'll never forget a movie starring Albert Finney in which he plays a scene on the very top of one of the towers of the Manhattan Bridge - his ordeal seemed bad enough, yet the scene was filmed from above!!!! The cameraman had to have been on some temporary structure putting him even higher, because this was long before there was any such thing as computer graphics!

My hat is off to anyone here who has spent a working life dealing with this. If anyone here has read Orwell's '1984', then you'll know what I mean when I say that any high place is my personal 'Room 101'....