The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fine People
Joe Rouse

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2008 9:08 am    

In my 19 months of learning the psg I have met several fine people that have helped me a great deal. The reason I am compelled to write on this is that no other group persuing their favorite instruments seems to have this feeling toward each other as steel players seem to have.
Herb Steiner was the first I visited VIA telephone, Wayne Tyler saved my bacon on my first purchase of my old Carter Starter, John and Ann Fabian at Carter Steel Guitars, Don and Gayle Pack here in San Antonio, Denny Mathes my teacher and Bobby Flores, another great player willing to help.
All in all a very fine group of people. Don Pack sold me a Carson Wells SD-10 and what a great guitar(like I've played so many, maybe 5 or 6 brands)and fun to play. Carson Wells lives in Kerrville, 50 or so miles from my abode so I was fortunate to meet him. Talk about a trip worthwhile. I met Carson on Memorial Day of this year and made a friend. Talk about a fun guy and a wealth of knowledge willing to help old guys like me understand these pedal steel guitars a little better. Besides building a great guitar he can play them too.
I don't mean to leave out other wonderful people I've met so far, Jody Sanders is a good friend and Brother, I met Bobby Bowman who gave me advice on purchases too. Dale Hansen is a fine player with a very inventive streak.
My experience with the steel guitar plyers has been very positive and I have a good feeling dealing with them. I am fortunate to have met these people over the phone and in person, and heard most of them play. Not a bad past-time at all. Good people and good music...Joe Rouse

Weldon Cressman

Pipe Creek, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2008 5:32 am     Good people

Hello PM.:
I enjoyed meeting you at Don & Gayle's and agree with your post totally. I am a little jealous though, ... your Carson Wells D10 is shinier than mine(And,you can play it better!)<grin>.

ttyl,
Weldon

Joe Rouse

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2008 6:06 am     Fine People

Hey My Brother,
Thank you for your kind words of my playing. I am a big time work in progress and I hope I have enough years left to become a almost psg player.
I really enjoy my Carson Wells psg. You should meet him sometime if you don't already know him. Good guy, talented, in playing and building and very interesting to visit with.
Sorry we haven't had more of a chance to visit, lets e-mail and set in lodge sometime. I am the immediate PM of my lodge and it is a pleasure being WM and being a PM. My cell phone calls have dropped to about 8-10 per day and my e-mail has dropped to about 30/day from about 125/day. Not near as busy and enjoying it...More time to assault my CW psg...
Joe Rouse

Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2008 7:11 pm    

Joe, my brother, it is great having you for a friend. I have never met Don Pack, but I have heard so many good things about him. Also you can't go wrong with Denny Mathes and Carson Wells. Hope to see you soon. Jody.

Roger Edgington

San Antonio, Texas USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2008 7:47 pm    

Joe, you are right about the steel community. You will probably find most players friendly and helpful both locally and wherever you may travel. Every one you mentioned are first class in my book. Carson Wells might just barely make it. Just kidding. He's a real hoot and good friend.

Joe Rouse

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2008 12:05 am     Fine People

Not many organizations or trades or even churches have so many willing to help a new player. Not so with the steel players. I appreciate that.
Don and Gayle Pack and my favorite teacher Denny Mathis(of course my only teacher) made me at home as soon as I started taking lessons and I have pretty much been meeting players along the way that did the same. Not a bad way for me to be spending my retirement years, not bad at all...Roger, I met you at Jodys monthly meeting last August when you and the great band you play with put on a great show for us. You left a lasting impression with me and it was good, and after the show you still had time to visit for a few minutes. Thanks...jr