The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  BMI parts??
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2008 10:55 am    

My student just bought a BMI.. What a lovely steel!!!.. First rate craftsmanship, mosnster fat yet "steely" tone from the factory 705, sustain that defies logic... Even has mica on the underside to keep everything neat as a pin... For $1100 shipped??.. great buy for her.. I am SOOO impressed!!!.. I plan on making a nice used BMI my next steel actually... anyway. The co pedent is a bit odd.. They drop string #2 down a full tone with no "feel stop"...
I can see all it needs is the little sheet metal pull finger [bellcrank] that screws into the flat cross shafts.. the rest I can make out of welding rod or a coat hanger .. sumthin... I can make the pull finger also, but I would rather just bolt one in.. anyone have one, or know where I can find one??/.. I understand these guitars are still in limited production, .. are they still using the same undercarriage??.. any help would be appreciated... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Last edited by Bob Carlucci on 8 Jul 2008 1:40 pm; edited 2 times in total

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2008 11:03 am    

Never mind, our good friend Jim Palenscar has already come to the rescue on this one.. What a great friend he is to us steel players, and to the woman I give lessons to in particular.. He has really gone above and beyond in helping out a budding player... I feel like breaking something on my Carter and buying stuff off of Jim to fix it so he can actually make some money on this deal!!! lol.. thanks again Jim!!!... bob

Dan Burnham

Greenfield, Tennessee
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2008 1:35 pm     We are still Around

Bob,
www.beckmusicalinstruments.com

We are still in production, standard wait time on steels and parts can still be ordered for any of the steels.
We use the same under carriage and you can all any part.
Jim is a great guy and does excellent work.

Dan (BMI)

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2008 1:47 pm    

Thanks Dan.. Let me say that the BMI is a SUPER nice steel.. The undercarriage is elegant in its simpicity of design and efficiency, and functions as well as any brand I've seen, and I have seen many... I have seen a few BMI guitars and played one , but this is the first one I have really had time to study and play at length, and am very impressed... thanks for the quick reply... bob

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2008 1:33 am    

Bob, i have to chime in cause i got a BMI from Jim Palenscar too for a French steeler
Jim is top notch & BMIs are either underrated or unknown to many
they are very good quality & sounding steels Winking

Dan Burnham

Greenfield, Tennessee
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2008 5:48 am     Thanks for the Kind Words

Guys I have yet to figure it out myself. BMI has been in business as BMI over 37 years. I guess after Zane Beck died many thought the company would have closed. Don Fritche, present owner, started working for Zane around 71' or so. Don was the builder for most all the BMI's that are out there today which a lot of people don't realize. Zane did the promotions, Don did the building. Now understand that Don was trained by Zane. They worked side by side during the years Zane was alive. We are still going strong building around 30 steels a year. Thanks again for the kind words,

Dan

Brian Pelky

Portland, OR
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2008 10:35 pm     My BMI

Guys I got a pipe in here, as well. I just bought my first steel 3 months ago....an one owner '81 SD-10 BMI, and I LOVE it. It has 4 pedals and 6 knees....way more than I need right now, but this thing sound great and stays in tune. Dan, good to hear from you, and thanks for the advice when I was buying mine. I haven't forgot about the pics you asked me to send you...I'll send them soon!

Dan Burnham

Greenfield, Tennessee
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2008 5:31 am     Thanks

Brian,
Thanks and looking for the pics,
Dan

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2008 10:30 am    

Hey Dan---question about buying parts. I was looking at the site and I don't see bellcranks. Are they available?
I don't play my S-10 that I bought over the phone from Zane in '83 (serial # 1024) because I now play a 12 string but that BMI has a special place in my heart. Couldn't have gotten luckier than to buy that as my first steel.

Dan Burnham

Greenfield, Tennessee
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2008 12:52 pm     Yes

Jon,
Zane chose to call them Angle Clips. $3.00 each. I too call them Bell Cranks. Thanks for your support of BMI.

Dan

Paul Redmond

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2008 2:19 am    

The most under-rated 'Sherman tank' guitar on earth. Your great-grandchildren will have gray hair when a BMI wears out. Got two of them and they are indeed members of the family at this point. Will be playing my S-10 converted-to-keyless-and-shortened-4" a bit later this afternoon (1979 built by Zane and I assume Don). What a guitar!!!
PRR

Dan Burnham

Greenfield, Tennessee
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2008 10:29 am     Paul Thanks

Paul Thanks for the kind words. I feel the same about BMI.
Dan

Abe Levy

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2008 7:11 pm     Jim Palenscar at Steel Guitars of North county is awesome

Just bought my first PSG from him at his shop (BMI D10) He is really an exceptional person to work with. I originally bought an older Sho-bud D10 but found that it was technically too much for me. He took it back, helped me find the perfect guitar and gave me a great deal. I happened to have a sick dog with me and he just happens to also be a vet and helped me with my dog. I can't say how pleased I am to have done business with him. What a guy! (The shop is awesome too, makes you feel right at home among all those beautiful steels.)

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2008 7:39 pm    

My old BMI S-12 with 8 on the floor and 5 knee levers is really a "tank" and has been my main guitar for a lot of years and will remain as "Old #1". I've thought of buying another guitar and always try out a couple each time I go to St. Louis but I never find one that'll do anything mine won't so why change?........JH in Va.

Dale Bessant

Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2008 1:42 am    

My blue S-10 3+4 serial # 394 from I believe the 70's is still working like new.. I just did a new set upon it (changing the oil as it were) thanks to the free set up info on the BMI site and it plays like new, thanks Zane Beck for building a grrrrrreat guitar...

Dan Burnham

Greenfield, Tennessee
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2008 4:20 am     Thank You

Dale,
Thanks for the kind words.
Dan

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2008 9:26 am    

I have a blue D10 8+9 on order and it is soon to be delivered. I have not been this excited over a new guitar since 1979 when I got my first BMI which was a new special order D10. I have recently become a dealer for BMI and am excited about that also.
Jerry

Wayne Morgan

Rutledge, TN, USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2008 11:06 am    

Hey guys, BMI"S are the most underated steel, most don't know the machanics and the thought that went into building the BMI"S. I love them.
I own a D10 8X8, SD10 3X4, and a S10 3x4, also own an Emmons and a Sho~Bud. The S10 BMI has probably seen more playing time than the others, its light and a great guitar.
Thanks Don for all your help in the past.
Wayne

Mike Schwartzman

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2008 1:09 pm    

This info about BMI parts is good to know. I've only been steelin' since last Christmas and I'm still on my first steel, which is a BMI S10. I bought it from a forum member here who said it's a 1970's model, and I have nothing else to compare it to, but I'm really enjoying it, and it seems very solid. I've received compliments on the tone of the instrument from a buddy here in town that has owned many other PSG brands.

I actually decided on this guitar based on the experience of others here on the forum. Many folks said that it's an excellent pro level model to start on. I think I've played it every day for 9 or 10 mos. and aside from std. maintenence and string changes, I haven't had to do a thing to it. It's nice to know that parts are available if needed.

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2008 3:35 pm    

Where am i, when these awsome steels are $1100 Sad

Brian Pelky

Portland, OR
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2008 4:02 pm     pickups?

Can anybody tell me what pickups they are using in there BMI's? Mine's a 1981 SD-10, but the pickup had been changed to an E-66 when I bought it. Does anyboyd have experience with a Truetone or Tonaligner in their BMI? How would that change my current sound? I'm wondering if one of those would have better frequency response. Thanks in advance!

Duncan Hodge

DeLand, FL USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2008 7:04 pm    

I have to say that the new BMIs look pretty wonderful too. As a "ZB nut" I gotta believe that any pedal steel that contains the spirit of Zane Beck has gotta be good. (Even though Tom Brumley "officially" built my ZB). If I even hit that lottery thingy I'm gonna look long and hard at a new BMI.
Oh, and I just wanted to say Hi Bob!
Duncan

Ben Elder

La Crescenta, California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2008 8:04 pm    

Quote:
"Where am i, when these awsome steels are $1100?"

Larry, this'll make ya sick: I found a BMI SD-12 + a Peavey Nashville 400 amp for $1000 on eBay a couple of months ago. Both survived shipping, although the BMI is going into Jim Palenscar's Saturday for a D9th-ectomy and a copedent lift (extended-E9th) procedure, with some other minor surgical knee redeployments. (I have no idea what to do with a vertical knee lever--maybe have it raise my seat to 23".)

Ben Elder

La Crescenta, California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2008 9:44 pm     BMI S-10 FS on eB

Replying to myself here, seemingly, altho' a few weeks later:

Just appeared on eBay auction # 18030294376 for a BMI S-10.

No interest in it myself, just spreading the word.

Damien Odell

Springwood, New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2008 11:09 pm    

I have 2 BMI steels, an older S10 - which plays and sounds great.
Pictured below is my new one, an S12 with 6 x 5 - soon to be 8 x 5, E9/B6.
Don built it to order for me at BMI - he does a brilliant job. It has a true tone pickup in it with the 5-way strat style tone switch underneath. Got a clear and sweet sound.