The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  SC: DEL REEVES' "Good Time Charlies" reunion 7/12
Jim Hartley

SC/TN
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2008 10:17 am    

b0b, I hope it is OK to post this in the events section.

Hey Friends,

This Saturday, Charley Garner is haveing a "Good Time Charlie" reunion in Centerville. Charley and I have tried to call as many of the old band members we still had #'s for, but I'm sure there are some of you out there we haven't reached. We would love to see as many of you as we could, and guys, we really need to get by to see Charley. If you were in Del's band at any time (you're never an ex Good Time Charlie), try to come this Saturday.

Call me for details: (803) 606-5705

See ya soon,
Jim

Last edited by Jim Hartley on 8 Jul 2008 7:51 am; edited 1 time in total

John Floyd

R.I.P.
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2008 7:31 am     Informed A Couple or 3 Guys

Jim
I Passed This On To George Owens, Corky Tittle and Harley Alsup. Harley lives in west Texas so I don't Know if he can Make it.
BTW You have August in your Title to your announcement, George Owens Caught That right away.
John

Jim Hartley

SC/TN
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2008 7:49 am    

Hey John,

Thanks for passing that along, and thanks for letting me know about the wrong date. I know I'm rushing time, but....you know the rest of the joke.

You need to make it back to Saluda soon, we've missed you.

See ya soon,
Jim

Jim Hartley

SC/TN
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2008 2:36 pm    

Just wanted to take this back up to the top and publicly thank b0b for this forum. I've heard from a few of the old timers (no offense guys, I'm right there with you), and it looks like we may have a nice turnout.

See ya soon,

Jim

Nick Reed

Russellville, KY USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2008 8:43 pm    

Be sure and let Danny Spinks know. He lives in Hendersonville.

Jim Hartley

SC/TN
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2008 5:05 am    

Thanks Nick,

Danny called me last night, he's planning on being there.

Friends, If you think of anyone else who might have worked for Del at one time or another, please let them know.

See ya soon,
Jim

Johnny Cox

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2008 1:33 am    

I wish I could make this one. My first real gig was with Del when I was 15. He was the first artist I played the Grand Ole Opry with in Dec. 1972. The band was George Owens (guitar) Harley Alsup (bass) Dave ? (drums) and me on steel. Del took a chance on a 15 year od kid that just wanted to play. I took Mike Smiths' place. Later in 1973 Del hired Mac Watkins as 2nd guitar and Donald Earl to play dobro. I left the band in mid 73 to go to work for The Singing Rambos. I would like more info, may try to make the trip.

Johnny

Jim Hartley

SC/TN
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2008 5:35 am    

Hey Johnny,

We all wish you could make it, but the most important thing is that you are doing better. As for Saturday, Charley does a weekly radio show in Centerville at the Chamber of Commerce and that is where this will be. It's a real throwback to the old local radio shows, live audience and all. Feel free to give me a call, I'll fill you in on everything. 803-606-5705.

See ya soon,
Jim

Bob Martin

Madison Tn
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2008 5:36 am    

Hey guys, I have a good pal in Illinois that played for Del in the 80's and I know he would love to come. I forwarded this announcement to him and I think he is trying to get it together to come down.

I know he would love to see some of his old buddies that he used to play with. I hope you guys have a great time Smile

Big Bob

Jim Hartley

SC/TN
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2008 6:09 am    

Hey Bob,

Thanks for passing this along. Your buddy (Steve?) called me the other night, I think he's gonna try to make it.

Thanks again,

Jim

Richard Bass

Sabang Beach, Philippines
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2008 5:45 pm    

Hi Jim, I hope the reunion goes well. If it is anything like the Faron Young Deputies reunion we had last year you will have lots of fun. Remember the stories you tell can't leave the room Very Happy
Richard

Bob Martin

Madison Tn
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2008 12:41 am    

Jim Hartley wrote:
Hey Bob,

Thanks for passing this along. Your buddy (Steve?) called me the other night, I think he's gonna try to make it.

Thanks again,

Jim

Hey Jim his name is Steve Worthey, sorry I didn't mention it I guess I wasn't thinking hehe. He played with Del in the late 80's and early 90's. I'm not sure of the exact time frame but that's got to be real close. He played when a drummer named Bernie (something) worked for Del too. I believe Bernie was dating Del's Daughter Carrie. If that helps any.

I hope he gets to come I know he will enjoy himself if he does. I had actually received an email from another pal of mine that use to work for Del in the 70's I think LOL and I forwarded his email to Steve and then I seen your post here later.

By the time you read this the party will be over but I hope everyone has had a great time and lot's of lies were told but none believed Smile

Bob

Pat Coyne

Gallatin
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2008 4:16 pm    

hey jim..hope you had a safe trip home, Cathy and I had a BLAST..stay in touch pal!

Jim Hartley

SC/TN
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2008 6:40 pm    

Hey Richard,

We told lots of stories, but we were on the radio so we had to edit. We actually had one of the Deputies with us. George was there and the singin and playin was a blast.

Bob, thanks again for passing the word along.

Pat, I made it home, check your email.

See ya soon,
Jim

John Floyd

R.I.P.
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2008 8:03 pm     George Owens

George Owens wasn't one of the Original Good Time Charlies, but he put more time in than Most anybody , It was much later that he was one of the Deputies. He had more stage time with Del than anybody up front and singing harmony. George was a RCA recording Artist in his own right and a Fine Singer. He was and Still is one of my closest Friends, Something I'm Very Proud of.

Larry Moore

Hampton, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2008 6:56 am     Drummer

Hey Johnny
I think the drummer might have been Dave Berry.
I played with him in the Atlanta area years ago and heard he went on the road with Del.
Larry

Jim Hartley

SC/TN
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2008 7:33 am    

Hey Larry,

You're right, it was Dave Berry. I took his place in December, 1977. It's ironic, I left the golf busines to get into music full time, Dave left Del to become a golf pro. I tried my best to get in touch with him for the reunion, but I never heard back from him.

See ya soon,
Jim

Jamile Essa

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2020 8:54 am     You Stole My Heart Like A Weasel Steals and Egg

In 1975 I won 2 tickets to go see Del Reeves and the Good Time Charlies on WKST in New Castle, PA, I was 14 at the time. I went to "Musicland" in our Town Mall to become familiar with their albums and there was a song on one of the albums called "You Stole My Heart Like A Weasel Steals and Egg". I can't locate it on Google in any of the Lyric sites and it's not listed as any song on Wikipidia on Del Reeves "discography" section where all the albums are listed. The song would have been produced 1975 or before. Does anyone in the thread recall this song? 480.233.0737 jdeanessa@gmail.com