The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This forum section is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Driving from California...
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Driving from California...
Michael Lee Allen

Portage Park / Irving Park, Chicago, Illinois
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2008 8:41 am    

I have the use of a gigantic cab-and-a-half truck if I want. Alarmed and has locking metal-top bed that is plastic-lined. Carrying two spare tires, spare battery, two jacks, and full tool kit. I hate flying on US airlines so I am thinking about doing the drive. Can carry two or three passengers and several steels/amps one or both ways. I'll have a 10'X100' 4 mil roll of contractor's plastic, a dozen heavy moving blankets, and tie-downs/spacers. Two possible routes...
South of Fresno on 99 to Bakersfield and then the "desert shortcut" to 40 (or south into LA and then east to 40) to Oklahoma City, then 44 into St Louis. Estimated drive time 28 hours (32 hours including LA) and I've run this route dozens of times.
Or...
North of Fresno on 99 into the Bay Area/Sacramento, then 80 into Cheyenne, then south on 25 into Denver, then east on 70 to St Louis. Estimated drive time 40 hours. If you are up north the south route is easier and faster if you come here. I can fit your NARROW small cars behind a locked gate or there is driveway space outside the gate for two large vehicles with all my neighbors as watchdogs.
You will be responsible for your own hotel/motel arrangements. You will NEED a cell phone so I can reach you at convention's end so we can leave promptly on schedule.
If I do this I'd rather not waste seat and truck-bed space. May be bringing back a Webb for a local guy but I'm only bringing one bag and have no plans to buy anything for myself so there's plenty of space available.
Great air conditioning unit too.
NON-SMOKING!!!
MLA

Ed Mooney

Evanston,IL
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2008 7:53 pm    

Hi Michael, my wife & I will be there the whole weekend. It would be good to say hi to you. Sold Flatts & Sharpe last year. We're staying at the Millenium. Ed Mooney

Michael Lee Allen

Portage Park / Irving Park, Chicago, Illinois
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2008 6:20 am    

Hey Ed...
So far there seems to be no interest other than my bringing a Gibson amp back from OKC to LA. And I am not asking for any gas money! If I do go I will hunt you down. I am hoping to be out of music, except for the ethnic stuff, in a year or so. Selling off all the extra stuff on ebay is practically a full-time job. You probably got out at the right time. Everybody I know still in retail music wishes they weren't and had gotten out already. Have not been back to Chicago in almost four years. Lucky me with air travel as annoying as it is.
MLA