The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Editing the recording
Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2008 5:44 pm    

Quoting Bruce:
Hey Bent, I see you are making progress with your recording,good stuff.Anything i can help you with ,no prob just let me know bruce

Hi Bruce,
Making a new thread so as not to hijack the other one.
I could have emailed you or give you a call but I thought this thread would be of interest to a lot of people, so here goes.

I got as far as getting a not so good steel tune down on tape, as well as a couple of vocal songs.
I recorded without any effects, thinking it is best to do that in the edit in Audition.

First thing I did was eliminate all breaths between lines in the vocal, as well as strange pops and hisses.

Next I wanted to apply some reverb to the vocal. In the VST plugin for the effects, the reverb has literally dozens of different settings. How do I know how much and which ones to apply?? Is this strictly trial and error? I was looking for a simple reverb application where I could just, say, drag a pointer for more or less. But no..they had to make it difficult. There seemed to be a preset already set up in the plug-in... Should I have just went ahead and used it? But I was afraid that it might not be too smart, seeing how this program has "destructive editing" when in the edit screen. I understand that this means that an edit 'destroys'
the original sound, cancels it without any recourse. Correct me on this, not sure.

Also: Can anyone explain to me what compressor does?
Is it common practice to apply this to the vocal?

As for the steel: What all of effects are most commonly applied to the steel track? Reverb? Echo?
Compressor? Or should the steel be left as natural as possible?

Thanks everybody for your input.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2008 4:51 am    

In simple terms, A compressor allows you to set the effect level to a specific point so when this level is reached by the input signal, the output signal is gradually reduced thus preventing overload of the final signal level . The volume of the level above the set point is gradually reduced, not lost. The trick is understanding the set point levels so that the reduction at the output is not noticed.

Vocalists who can overdrive the mic with there voice, Instruments that reach PEAKS at times...these are good uses of compression.

Now, a Limiter can also be used, but it is like a very severe compressor setting, when the preset signal level is reached, the signal ENDS and is cut off, not like a compressor where the signal is gradually reduced.

DO an internet search, there are great articles up here regarding there use and applications.

Many final mastering processes use a gentle compression along with EQ's to smooth out the final signal so that the end product does not have jagged signals jumping out at you.

Compressors are probably the single most difficult recording tool to learn how to use correctly and are easily the single most used recording tool used incorrectly !

good luck

tp

ps, I am not an expert, I'm dangerous.

Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2008 3:13 pm    

Tony, thanks. I am sure you are more of an expert than me. So...I'll stay away from the compressor for now Smile

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2008 6:39 am    

Bent, if you have compression as a tool, use it, start with very mild settings, experiment. The worst that can happen is you don't like the results and you do it again !

Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2008 2:30 pm    

I have another problem now. Audition is freezing up. Here's what's going on:
I open Aud and it opens to Multitrack View.. Everything works just fine there. Then, when I click on Edit view for editing a single track, Aud freezes. Not a 100% freeze but more like a partial. Some keyboard functions still work, like the shift/arrow key for highlighting works, except the little volume control doesn't pop up. Nothing works off of the mouse.It won't start playing the track from either the mouse click or the space bar. In other words nothing is working.
I have also tried reboot.
Any suggestions?

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2008 1:07 am    

Do you have other programs running in the background on your PC ? This this appears to be PC related and nothing to do with the Audition software. Virus software etc ?

Is this a dedicated recording PC ?

More often than not, MUSIC folks have a PC dedicated to the recording studio software to eliminate these issues. Dedicated PC recording studio folks prefer to have nothing on the host PC's that is not related to the recording process. Certainly no Internet connection.

Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2008 8:22 am    

I don't have a dedicated PC.
I closed all programs and Internet connection. That didn't help.

Just now I discovered, if I open a file in Edit mode, everything works normally. My problems start when I open a file in Multitrack mode and try to switch to Edit mode. This shouldn't happen but it does.

Another thing occurred just now. when I had the file edited, I went to multi track mode, inserted the edited tracks and discovered that track 2 had shifted 22 secs to the right of track 1. What did I do to make this happen?
What can I do to correct it?

Also, another BAD thing happened when I tried to re-open the files: Track one could not be found, despite the fact that I had saved the edited files under Save As... and a new name.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2008 3:03 pm    

just a question, how many temp files are on your PC, ? when was the last time you defragged ? How about a cleanup program ?

I doubt this is a software program issue. You may want to post this issue in the computer section and see what Wiz thinks..

tp

Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2008 4:00 pm    

I think you're right about it not being a program error, Tony. I'll keep plugging away.
It was a puzzle with the lost files though.

Yes, if I am not able to correct it, I will be posting it in Computers for sure.
Thanks Tony

winston

Frankfort, Kentucky 40601
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2008 5:36 pm    

Bent
If you are working with mp3 files adobe audition does not like them, only wav. When you have a session loaded in adobe audition you right click on the file you want to work with and then left click on edit waveform, the file should be there. To move the one that has moved to to edit on the multitrack view/tools/move,copy clip. Then you can move the track anywhere you want. You can lock in time and the track will not move. Hope this helps, winston may

Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2008 7:08 pm    

Thanks Winston, I'll try it.