The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  midi guitar or pickup
Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 3 Jun 2008 4:28 pm    

I need to buy a midi guitar or midi pickup for guitar and whatever else you need to play my guitar into my computer so it will convert to notation as I play.

Ron Cote

Braintree, MA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2008 12:40 pm    

I have a Rolands GR30 and hex pickup the whole setup cost me over $1000.00 i will sell all of it for $250.00 Plus shipping. GR30 is in mint shape because i hardly used it still in box w/manul the pickup was used on a guitar.with other synh's if the setup is of use to you let me know. I need to sell the whole package because you need the hex pickup to triger the GR30.

Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2008 10:38 am    

Stuarts, you'll need a guitar synth like the GR30 and either a Roland ready guitar or a normal electric guitar with a MIDI pickup added.

I had a Roland Ready Strat and I liked it when I used it. Here's one on eBay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-American-Roland-Ready-Strat-1995-96_W0QQitemZ200230740425QQihZ010QQcategoryZ156025QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and a GR30 synth here.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Roland-GR-30-Guitar-Synthesizer-GR30-Free-Shipping_W0QQitemZ160247881187QQihZ006QQcategoryZ38071QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and finally, a GR33
http://cgi.ebay.com/ROLAND-GR-33-Guitar-Synthesizer-GR33-5-Pedal-Unit_W0QQitemZ110260237659QQihZ001QQcategoryZ38071QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
[/url]

Carter D-10 & Peavey Nashville 1000

www.16tracks.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

ray qualls

Baxter Springs, Kansas (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2008 2:08 pm    

Ron, private message sent. Ray Qualls
Steel Guitar Hall of Fame 2008

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2008 2:46 pm    

The GR-30's and GR-33's don't have a USB port, you would have to go through a MIDI adapter to play directly into your computer. The Roland GI20 MIDI guitar adapter has a USB port built in for just such purpose. You still have to have a MIDI pickup on your guitar or a MIDI guitar with a Roland 13 pin output though.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

Zeek Duff

Longmont, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2008 3:00 pm    

Hi Stuart, unless you want to spend hours and hours correcting "glitches," you should get the best rig at the start. The best MIDI tracking (following the notes you actually play) is from an RMC piezo hex (6 string) PU equipped ax. In the affordable range there are several Godin SA (synth access) models that track very well, but last time I looked they still didn't make one with a 24 3/4" scale.

Brian Moore Guitars also makes RMC equipped axes, and there are essentially two affordable price ranges, those handmade in China and those handmade in Korea, more expensive, and finally some very pricey Custom Shop American made models.

I have one of the BMG Chinese 24 3/4" models (21.13) as a backup, and it's just fine. I've owned a Godin, the guitar was too heavy and the neck too fat for me, but it sold me on RMC. I also have a semi-hollow body that I put a new Roland GK-3 mag hex PU on, and it tracks much better than the earlier GK-2 and GK-2a PUs did. There, with a GK, you can install it temporarily on your favorite ax and not modify it.

I put RMC on my favorite ax, but it required extensive mods and cost $500 with me doing all the labor. I love it, and am glad I did it.

Then, you need to get a MIDI interface for your computer. It needs to take the 13 pin signal from the MIDI hex PU and convert it to MIDI (5 pin) AND connect to your computer somehow. The newer Roland GI-20 works well enough from what I've seen online, won't break the bank, and has USB out to your computer. Otherwise, you need something like the GR synths folks have mentioned here and a MIDI interface, which there a numerous models of to connect via USB to your computer. There are many other things like FX rigs that can double as a MIDI interface, and kill a couple of birds with one bankroll. Wink

Join these forums on yahoogroups.com : GR-30 - MIDIguitar - VG-8 - and any DAW (digital audio workstation) groups you can find. I'm on DAW-Mac and I think there's a DAW-PC group, too. The groups will be very helpful to you, if you want to do it right, it's going to take some work, money, and a fairly steep learning curve. Oh yeah, you need notation software too, something like Finale Guitar works great and is much more affordable than all the others.

Don't give up, once you've got it, you'll wonder how you ever got along without it.

Best regards,
...z
http://www.myspace.com/zeekduffmusic
http://www.cdbaby.com/zeekduff
Http://www.facebook.com/zeekduff
http://www.twitter.com/zeekduff

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2008 7:27 pm    

I agree with Zeke, I have a Brian Moore and two Godins with the RMC pickups in them, and they all work great. Plus, on the electrics, you get the added bonus of a pretty convincing acoustic sound.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.