The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Herb Ellis - Texas Swings CD
Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2017 6:04 am    

A lot of we steel players are also Jazz guitar fans, and I recently found a CD that I had had for a long time and forgot about. Herb Ellis is playing with a bunch of Texas swing musicians, Herbie Remington played some nice steel, Johnny Gimble and others played fiddle, Floyd Domino played piano, and Willie Nelson even played a little guitar on it. They played mostly old standards and it's a great album in my opinion, check it out if you like this kind of music.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2017 6:59 am    

https://www.amazon.com/Texas-Swings-Herb-Ellis/dp/B000000NQH

Just ordereded the CD, used, Prime $5 out the door. Turns out that if you have Amazon Prime you can stream 8 of the 10 songs on it for free!

It's also on Apple Music along with 27 other Herb Ellis Albums. First 3 months free and $10 a month after that. Just cancelled my CD order and listening to the album now on Apple Music.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2017 1:29 am    

This session was slightly infamous in musician's scuttlebutt because Ellis came into the studio with a whole lotta attitude, essentially, giving off a vibe that this music was beneath him. So, professionals that they were, everyone delivered their solos and played the music but it wasn't a fun experience. Herb Remington told me they were nevertheless impressed with Ellis' chops and swing feeling.

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2017 8:22 pm    

Reminds me that years ago I saw Herb Ellis play with Eldon Shamblin in OKC...it was interesting to see and hear them together, but to my ears it "fidn't dit" as Archie Campbell would say.
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp