The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

In hindsight, how much would you have paid for this classic Sho-Bud Maverick?
$600-$999
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
$600-$999
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
$1000-$2650
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
$2651 +
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 0

Author Topic:  ** Classic Sho-Bud Maverick ** SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD!
Eric Henry

Corvallis, OR
Post  Posted 12 May 2008 9:11 pm    

Sho-Bud Maverick For Sale

This Sho-Bud Maverick is richly appointed and protected by a sumptuous, low glare, theft resistant simulated wood veneer.

The envy deterring style of the Maverick is perfectly suited for confident musicians of strong character and humility who wish to focus attention on their art rather than shallow, garish displays of pedal steel materialism.

Q: Why should I consider purchasing this Sho-Bud Maverick?
Talented and experienced pedal steel guitarists often find expensive “pro” steel guitars to be overly responsive and plagued by predictable intonation. The system of rods on "pro" guitars often feels sterile, linear and inorganic. The Maverick's design remedies those and many other common problems.

Most “pro” and modern steels also suffer from over-configurability. Indecisive engineering by "pro" pedal steel builders is partly to blame. But the root of the problem is clever marketers and salespeople who clearly hope to sell you more rods, more cams, more pulls, more changers, more pedals, etc. (It’s a classic example of giving away the razor and selling the blades.)

The brilliant, less-is-more design of the Maverick is a respectful acknowledgement that you'd rather spend your time creating beautiful music than wasting sunny days in your basement modifying your copedent.

Yet the Maverick's 3+1 setup is anything but limited. Mathematically speaking there are 4 factorial (expressed mathematically as 4!) pedal combinations. That works out to be a minimum of 24 unique pedal variations. Quite frankly if you're unable to play a song with those myriad pedal combos then your real issue is song selection. If that's not enough combinations, well, you're probably alienating your audience. As serious steel guitarists (and even our slackjawed lapsteel brethern) will tell you, songs that require more than one knee lever tend to sound "gimmicky" or "showy."

Q: Is the Maverick truly an excellent investment?
Consider for a moment the steady parade of $2000+ steels in the Instruments For Sale section of the Forum and contrast that with the relatively few Mavericks that come available. Clearly pedal steel players must be dissatisfied with expensive, feature-laden instruments or they would keep them, right? Or, similarly, the constant pursuit of "pro" or "high-end" steels fosters insatiable greed rather than satisfaction and musical fellowship.

It is indeed curious that if you search the Forum archive you’ll find numerous instances of veteran steel players cautioning inquisitive and energetic would-be pedal steel guitarists against purchasing a Maverick. You don’t have to be a conspiracy theorist to see the root forces (or even the relative minor forces) at work here. A cabal of good ol’ steelers and builders is systematically trying to tamp down demand for Mavericks in order to keep Maverick prices artificially low for their own future gain. Yes, it's shameful.

Meanwhile, the hype on the Instruments For Sale thread is in full force as these same characters try to unload the glut of "pro" guitars on one another. The For Sale thread is a din of "TTT" braying as desperate steelers buy retail, sell wholesale and pay shipping both ways. Honestly, how else can you explain why an unwieldy, heavy, veneerless old Emmons with a mishmash of "push" and "pull" technology can fetch $4000 when lightweight Mavericks are available for only $500? Think about it.

Q: I thought I heard someone say that the Maverick wasn't really a "professional" guitar. Were they lying or merely insane?
Inexplicably there are some who do not consider the Sho-Bud Maverick to be a “pro” guitar.

But pause to consider this simple test of logic. Imagine there are two identical concert halls on the same street. And now imagine that two concerts are to be held at the same time on the same day in those respective halls. Which of the following marquees do you think would sell the most tickets:
* Buddy Emmons playing this Sho-Bud Maverick.
* Or you playing a $5,000 doubleneck steel guitar. (And you can even use both necks if you like).

Obviously none of us would likely to draw a fraction of Buddy Emmons’ crowd. The logic, as you can see, is ironclad. The Maverick is most certainly a "pro" guitar.

Q: So what's so special about this particular Maverick?
This Maverick comes complete with case, original manual, legs, pedals, knee lever, pedal bar, wingnuts, bolts that the wingnuts go onto, and even a patch cord.

A new cable-rod was installed in fall 2007 to restore functionality to the C pedal (gilding the lily perhaps). The new rod was put in the Maverick only after undergoing years of rigorous stress testing. First it was first bent into a triangular shape and then it was subjected to the non-stop strain of holding up a heavy winter coat in a closet. Only after passing this “hanger” test was it considered fit for use with the Maverick's C pedal.

It’s difficult to put a value on the hanger modification. Quite candidly if you ask any of the otherwise talented steel guitar technicians and rebuilders on this forum if you can get a "hanger mod" on your "pro" steel guitar they'll likely be dumbfounded.

Q: And what about accessories? Is a volume pedal even needed with a Maverick? If so wouldn't one add hundreds of dollars to the purchase price?
You’ll often hear of pedal steel guitarists spending $180, $185 even as much on $190 on a new volume pedal for their “pro” instruments.

Fortunately the Maverick’s sound is such that far less expensive pedals and accessories may be used without negatively affecting tone. Included at no additional cost with this Maverick is a Bespeco volume pedal. It affords the smooth selection of nearly infinite volume levels. Best of all, volume can be adjusted in real time using only one foot.

Q: So, um, how much? $3000? $5000? More?
This Sho-Bud Maverick (serial number 9630) is only $500 + shipping.

Last edited by Eric Henry on 21 Jun 2008 6:39 am; edited 21 times in total

Olli Haavisto

Jarvenpaa,Finland
Post  Posted 12 May 2008 11:54 pm    

Theft resistant finish... Very Happy

Chris Bauer

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2008 3:29 am    

I don't want the guitar but I might be willing to pay a bunch of money for the ad!

James Heady

Manton, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2008 3:48 am    

Were`nt you the guy at my door trying to sell me windows the other day??? or are you the vacuum cleaner salesman that I kicked out last week???

Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 13 May 2008 4:17 am    

That was an ingenious ad, Eric! No doubt, your guitar will sell. Still LMAO Very Happy

Greg Wisecup

Troy, Ohio
Post  Posted 13 May 2008 5:10 am    

If I ever want to sell ANYTHING I will hire you to write the ad....... Laughing
/Nashville 400
RV-3/ Zoom MS-50G
As long as I'm down in the mix I'm Fantastic!

Michael Douchette

Gallatin, TN (deceased)
Post  Posted 13 May 2008 5:47 am    

Eric, thank you. I haven't laughed so hard, out loud in a while... terrific!!

http://www.steelharp.com
http://www.thesessionplayers.com/douchette.html

(other things you can ask about here)
http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o54/Steelharp/

David Petschulat

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2008 5:56 am     that's some dandy-lyin'...

says a lot for the steel... i don't think a mere guitar player could write an add like that!

kyle reid

Butte,Mt.usa
Post  Posted 13 May 2008 7:05 am    

Do I Hear $600 dollars? going once Going twice?

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2008 8:36 am    

Genius! Thanks for the joy!

Antolina

Dunkirk NY
Post  Posted 13 May 2008 8:40 am    

Don't tell me, let me guess. Yer a used car salesman Laughing

Sho~Bud 6139 3+3
Marrs 3+4

RC Antolina

Russ Blake

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2008 8:50 am    

Does the forum have a Hall of Fame for great posts? Or an award for the best ad? This gets my vote!

Mike Benzschawel

madison wi
Post  Posted 13 May 2008 9:09 am     maverick

you're a very funny man eric...... Laughing

Benton Allen

Muscle Shoals, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2008 10:31 am    

Hey Seymour, you need to hire this dude to hawk your wares!!!! He's got a line a mile long!!! Imagine if he was trying to sell a rare Bigsby!

Hilarious!
Benton

Dana Erlandson

Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2008 1:22 pm    

But wait!!! There's more....

No never mind there couldn't possibly be more. Very Happy

Ronny Line

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2008 1:30 pm    

Damn, I wish I had some money. I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Eric Henry

Corvallis, OR
Post  Posted 14 May 2008 1:46 pm    

Thanks for all the positive feedback, friends. It's clear by your insightful responses that there are many astute musicians here who appreciate a top-notch instrument when they see one.

You're surely as surprised as I am that this classic Sho-Bud Maverick remains unsold this many hours after being listed.

Perhaps it's as I feared. The guitar polishers and collectors may have gentrified the Instruments For Sale section of the forum.

I'm afraid I have no choice but to raise the price to stimulate some interest. This classic Sho-Bud Maverick is now $525 plus shipping.

Wally Taylor

Hardin, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2008 2:33 pm    

I don't think Eric's ad is one bit funny. Whoa! After reading the ad, I was ready to sell the ZB and drive to Kansas as I just had to have this fantastic pro Maverick!! Laughing

Great job Eric!! Best ad I have ever read on the Forum. Can't wait to see what your next ad will be.

Wally

Ronny Line

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2008 3:01 pm    

Eric, when you raise the price up to around $950.00 plus shipping, please give me a call.

A. J. Schobert

Cincinnati, Ohio,
Post  Posted 14 May 2008 4:13 pm    

I am going to plant some Maverick seeds in my yard this year and see what turns up!

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2008 7:31 pm     Re: Classic Sho-Bud for sale

Eric Henry wrote:
Mathematically speaking there are 4 factorial (expressed mathematically as 4!) pedal combinations. That works out to be a minimum of 24 unique pedal variations.
This wild-eyed hyperbole casts an aura of opprobrium over the entire ad. We know there are only 2^4 = 16 combinations of 4 pedals (binary digits). And that assumes you use both feet! Eliminating P123 and P1x3 we are left with only 12 tunings. Is this deliberate prevarication, or merely Kansas education? Can we believe anything that he claims about the volume pedal?

Eric Henry

Corvallis, OR
Post  Posted 15 May 2008 12:49 pm     Re: Classic Sho-Bud for sale

Earnest Bovine wrote:
Eric Henry wrote:
Mathematically speaking there are 4 factorial (expressed mathematically as 4!) pedal combinations. That works out to be a minimum of 24 unique pedal variations.
... We know there are only 2^4 = 16 combinations of 4 pedals (binary digits)...

Thanks (I think) for your interest, Earnest. But I'm afraid your message mostly confused me. As best I can tell it sounds like you're in the market for a synthesizer or possibly a scientific calculator.

The classic Sho-Bud Maverick I have for sale here is a rare, vintage premium analog guitar-like instrument.

Best of luck to you.

Tommy Young

Ethelsville Alabama
Post  Posted 15 May 2008 6:48 pm    

ERIC I HAVE JUST A FEW QUESTIONS OF YOU , ARE YOU A PREACHER? OR INSURANCE SALESMAN. IF NEITHER THEN YOU HAVE CERTAINLY MISSED YOUR CALLING AND NEED TO CHANGE JOBS.

TOMMY YOUNG
MAX-TONE MODIFICATIONS

Sean Baldeschwiler

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2008 12:13 pm    

Certainly this is quite a creative post. Now for the hard part...

As a neophyte pedal player (read I play guitar in a country band without a pedal steel) I was lucky enough to find one of these gems on craigslist. Sadly, it didn't come with the manual. I was hoping I could get a copy of yours.

Thanks,

Sean B.

Last edited by Sean Baldeschwiler on 16 May 2008 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2008 12:16 pm    

Love it.......the ad that is Laughing