The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sterling mossman lp
Bill Flores

Ventura, California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2008 2:12 pm    

I have a Decca LP of Sterling Mossman "Happy in Hawaii"really swinging band and arriangements of Hapa-haole classics. Does any one know who plays steel on this? Also has some twin steel work. Barney and Jules?? Thanks Bill Flores

Bill Wynne

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2008 5:07 am     Re: Sterling mossman lp

Bill Flores wrote:
I have a Decca LP of Sterling Mossman "Happy in Hawaii"really swinging band and arriangements of Hapa-haole classics. Does any one know who plays steel on this? Also has some twin steel work. Barney and Jules?? Thanks Bill Flores

Oh, you're talking about one of my favorites. That is an extremely rare LP (dating back to 1959) and it has an amazing crew thereon.

Including the incredible Barney Isaacs on steel guitar.

I have studied this LP intensely over the last 20 years and it is one of those records that made me want to become a steel guitarist. (Check my HSGA forum avatar: It's Barney's beautiful visage.) I am fairly certain that the dual steel guitars you hear are Barney overdubbed. The single string lead certainly is, but if you listen to the comping behind (mostly in C13th and E13th), it is all typically Barney, as well.

The group on the record is largely the same group that Mossman used in his live gigs at the Barefoot Bar - Jake Holck on guitar, Pappy Bowman on the other guitar, Norman Isaacs on bass, Varoa Tiki on percussion, and Barney Isaacs on steel. I doubt that Mossman would have disrupted their chemistry by bringing another steel guitarist they rarely worked with into the mix. The only one they might have considered - as you suggested - is Jules since he seemed to share one heart and one mind with Barney. But I doubt it in this case since you don't have Jules in the studio and not let him take one solo, and all the solo work is definitely Barney.

Take another listen and tell me if you think I am off the mark on this. (I would love Derrick Mau, Jeff Au Hoy, or Basil Henriques to weigh in on this.)

HO`OLOHE HOU RADIO - http://www.hoolohehou.net

Bill Flores

Ventura, California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2008 7:58 am    

Thanks for the info Bill, I don't think this LP has been reissued on cd. I found it quite by accident on a cassette copy my Dad had made of it. I dug around in the garage and found the Lp. Barney Issaccs! An interesting note, on the other side of the cassette is Hukilau Hulas Vol. 1 with a lot of the same songs that are on the Mossman LP done by various artists, Ray Kinney, Andy Cummings,etc...great to hear the contrast of others take of the tunes.I've see an auction listing for "Live" At the Barefoot Bar by Sterling. I assume this the same group? Thanks again

Bill Wynne

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2008 10:02 am    

Bill Flores wrote:
Thanks for the info Bill, I don't think this LP has been reissued on cd. I found it quite by accident on a cassette copy my Dad had made of it. I dug around in the garage and found the Lp. Barney Issaccs! An interesting note, on the other side of the cassette is Hukilau Hulas Vol. 1 with a lot of the same songs that are on the Mossman LP done by various artists, Ray Kinney, Andy Cummings,etc...great to hear the contrast of others take of the tunes.I've see an auction listing for "Live" At the Barefoot Bar by Sterling. I assume this the same group? Thanks again

The Mossman LPs (he only made the two) were not released on CD. However, the masters were purchased by Toshiba-EMI of Japan in a large lot of Hawaiian music from the Decca and Liberty labels. They have rereleased some (such as by The Invitations and Haunani Kahalewai) but have only used bits and pieces of the others on Hawaiian compilation CDs.

The group on the live LP is the same as on the studio LP. I also have a very rare recording of this same group at a house party of a prominent Hawaii businessman (he had it recorded and pressed for distribution only to his party guests as a souvenir) as well as hours and hours of bootleg tape of this same group live at the Barefoot Bar. I believe that Barney's work with this group is some of his swingingest and jazziest.

You were lucky to find that tape - BOTH sides of it. Hukilau Hulas - Volume 1 is a reissue of a 10" LP made on the Terna Label in Honolulu in the mid-1950s. On it, you get to hear some rare Gabby Pahinui playing steel with Andy Cummings.

Derrick Mau

Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2008 10:46 am    

Hi Bill,

I don't have the "Happy In Hawaii" LP you both are talking about, but the two albums I have of them (at the Barefoot Bar and Lokey's Luau) is Barney on the steel guitar. Very Happy

Bill Wynne

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2008 2:31 pm    

Derrick Mau wrote:
Hi Bill,

I don't have the "Happy In Hawaii" LP you both are talking about, but the two albums I have of them (at the Barefoot Bar and Lokey's Luau) is Barney on the steel guitar. Very Happy

Hey, Derrick!

"Lokey's Luau" is the private party recording I referred to (captured at Eedee and Hulsey Lokey's party at the Earl Thacker Ranch House and distributed to fewer than a few hundred people). You are very fortunate to have a copy. That makes you, me, and Jeff Au Hoy.

"Happy In Hawai`i" is the same group.

Knowing that so few have heard this LP, I am going to have to play the whole thing on my show in the coming weeks. I have some rare interview footage with Sterling Mossman that should be heard, as well.

Dave Mayes

Oakland, Ca.
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2008 3:29 pm    

Joe Goldmarks' publication "The International Steel Guitar and Dobro Discography"..(don't leave home without it !)credits Pua Almeida on steel for this one.
I bought this Lp thinking Oh Boy...more Barney.. and then played it and cried, "why has God forsaken me ?"
Doesn't sound like Barney to me - more like a Danny Stewart on steroids.
Masterful playing.
My favorite Pua stuff is on Bell 78's.

Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2008 11:01 pm    

Just a little information:
Sterling Mossman: "Happy in Hawaii" Decca DL-8833 was released in 1960 and Jules Ah See died in 1960 (36 yrs. of age) Sad .

Aloha, Smile
Don

Derrick Mau

Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2008 2:43 am    

Hi Bill,

I got confused when "Happy" was mention because on the LP cover that I have, I says, "Host In Hawaii", not "Happy In Hawaii".

Also, there is a Capitol Records label on the top right side, not the Decca label like on the Barefoot Bar LP.

At the bottom of the album it says:

Featuring: STERLING MOSSMAN & HIS BAREFOOT GROUP
Barney Isaacs, Norman Isaacs, Louis Akau,
Vera(Veroa)Tiki, Turrere, Tora and Elima Baker.

And on the Barefoot Bar LP, Sterling Mossman is heard introducing Barney as the steel player just prior to singing his dad's (Alvin Isaacs Sr.)composition, No Huhu. Smile

Bill Wynne

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2008 6:40 am    

Dave Mayes wrote:
Joe Goldmarks' publication "The International Steel Guitar and Dobro Discography"..(don't leave home without it !)credits Pua Almeida on steel for this one.
I bought this Lp thinking Oh Boy...more Barney.. and then played it and cried, "why has God forsaken me ?"
Doesn't sound like Barney to me - more like a Danny Stewart on steroids.
Masterful playing.
My favorite Pua stuff is on Bell 78's.

Dave, any idea where the source information for the Goldmarks' pub came from? I am skeptical... I have heard Pua play plenty - both on his own Waikiki Records singles (you can distinguish Pua's playing from his other regular steeler, Billy Hew Len immediately), on recordings with Alfred Apaka (with Randy Oness' group), and solo on his own double-LP Japan release from 1968 (on which he only plays steel). And those examples of his playing are NOTHING like the playing on the Mossman LP.

Not to dispel the Goldmark's assertion (I am open to figuring out the truth, here, as that is my obsession), I wonder if this could be Danny and Barney together? I listened again and the comping sounds plenty like Barney but the single string lead does sound like "Stewart on Steroids." (Very accurate description, by the way!) These two recorded together A LOT - including their anonymous work on the RCA Victor LP "Hawaiian Stars," the Lani Kai LP "Island Love Songs" on Decca, the Benny Kalama LP "Around The Island In 80 Shakes," and all of the early 1960s Hawaii Calls LPs.

This is a great - albeit unexpected - debate. Take another listen and you tell me if this could be a Danny/Barney collaboration. If you're still convinced this is Pua, could you point me to some recordings where Pua played in this same style?

Say... Would you mind giving the Goldmark's another litmus test for me? Who does it claim played steel on the two Mahi Beamer releases on Capitol in 1959 and 1960? I asked Mahi Beamer himself, so if the book disputes a guy who was actually in the studio at the time, I am not shelling out for it.

Shocked

Thanks for engaging me... This is not folly to me. I am a radio host and a steel player with (I think) a really decent ear. I don't mind being wrong; I just might need some fine tuning. And it's nice to meet those who can help. So trust that I am not being snarky but sincere when I thank you for taking time to chat me up about this.

Bill Flores

Ventura, California, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2008 7:04 am    

Wow, thanks to all for this info. I knew there would be members who could answer my question,you guys are a wealth of knowledge!! Hopefully this recording will someday be available on cd .....hmmmm Cord International is based in my home town, maybe they can get license to re-release this. Derrick, check you PM.. Bill

Dave Mayes

Oakland, Ca.
Post  Posted 1 May 2008 10:30 am    

Hey Bill Wynne,

My initial post was off the top of my head (they usually are). Most of my records are stored at my Father-in-laws. I'll pay him a visit this weekend, find that Lp and give it a close listen...I'm no expert. Heck, I remember when I couldn't tell if a Hank Williams band steel solo was being played by Don Helms or Jerry Byrd!

I haven't found Joe Goldmark's book to be 100% accurate, but that's O.K. by me. It's a great resource if you do any collecting at all. My copy is 11 years old (eight edition). Don't know if there's a more recent one.

No mention of Mahi Beamer or his steeler in my copy.
Get back to you in a few days.

Dave

Dave Mayes

Oakland, Ca.
Post  Posted 1 May 2008 10:39 am    

Goldmark thanks a BUNCH of people for their contributions to his publications ...including John Marsden (U.K.) and T. Malcolm Rockwell.

Derrick Mau

Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2008 1:28 am    

I talked with Mahi Beamer once about the steel players on his 2 albums and he said he had used a few steel players. He had a hard time remembering the names as it was such a long time ago, but when I mentioned Jules and Danny Stewart he confirmed that it was them but couldn't remember the 3rd person.

Aloha

Derrick Mau

Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2008 2:15 am    

Whoa! Mass confusion here. Here's the album in question which is not the "live" recordings we were thinking about.

It's a very rare LP. I've seen it in a used vinyl record shop only once many years ago. Titled in parenthesis - the Hula Cop as Sterling worked for the Honolulu Police Department.

I don't have, or have heard this album, so Goldmark's information could be right.

Anyway, does anybody know if this Goldmark publication still available?

Bill Wynne

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2008 6:24 am    

Derrick Mau wrote:
Whoa! Mass confusion here. Here's the album in question which is not the "live" recordings we were thinking about.

It's a very rare LP. I've seen it in a used vinyl record shop only once many years ago. Titled in parenthesis - the Hula Cop as Sterling worked for the Honolulu Police Department.

I don't have, or have heard this album, so Goldmark's information could be right.

Anyway, does anybody know if this Goldmark publication still available?

The album you have (Lokey's Luau) is much more rare than this one. But this is the one in question. It's pretty rare, too. I had to get my last copy from Japan.

And, no, Goldmark is dead wrong about this one. If that's Pua Almeida, I will throw my bar and picks into Kane`ohe Bay.

I tell you what... I am going to spend some time this weekend remastering the thing and post it here so that we can share thoughts on this. I am sticking to my Isaacs/Stewart theory until someone proves me wrong.

Derrick Mau

Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2008 3:01 am    

Dave Mayes wrote:
Goldmark thanks a BUNCH of people for their contributions to his publications ...including John Marsden (U.K.) and T. Malcolm Rockwell.

Hi Dave,

Something is not right here because on T. Malcolm Rockwell's Hawaiian & Hawaiian Guitar Records from 1891 - 1960, there is no mention of Pua's name, but Malcolm says that the steel player on this album is probably Jules or possibly Freckles Lyons.

There is also a short list of songs beneath it which mentions the "Luau Song" and "Just Don't Dig That Poi". Are these songs on the "Happy In Hawaii" LP?

I have these two songs on another LP called "Music For A Hawaiian Luau" released by Decca which features a bunch of different groups. The steel playing on these two songs does not sound to me like Jules behind the steel nor does it have the characteristic Magnatone sound. I'm wondering if this Sterling Mossman LP is also a compilation of different groups with different steel players? Both LP's are released by Decca . . .

I'll write to Harry B. Soria to see what I can find.
I know he has the LP and is very knowledgable in vintage Hawaiian music and Hawaiian Entertainers.

Aloha Very Happy

Bill Wynne

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2008 10:02 am    

Derrick Mau wrote:
Dave Mayes wrote:

Hi Dave,

Something is not right here because on T. Malcolm Rockwell's Hawaiian & Hawaiian Guitar Records from 1891 - 1960, there is no mention of Pua's name, but Malcolm says that the steel player on this album is probably Jules or possibly Freckles Lyons.

There is also a short list of songs beneath it which mentions the "Luau Song" and "Just Don't Dig That Poi". Are these songs on the "Happy In Hawaii" LP?

I have these two songs on another LP called "Music For A Hawaiian Luau" released by Decca which features a bunch of different groups. The steel playing on these two songs does not sound to me like Jules behind the steel nor does it have the characteristic Magnatone sound. I'm wondering if this Sterling Mossman LP is also a compilation of different groups with different steel players? Both LP's are released by Decca . . .

I'll write to Harry B. Soria to see what I can find.
I know he has the LP and is very knowledgable in vintage Hawaiian music and Hawaiian Entertainers.

Aloha Very Happy

Derrick, the songs on the "Music For A Hawaiian Luau" LP are the same as on "Happy In Hawaii." I will get around to posting clips from this album, but the playing across the cuts is so consistent that I doubt they were shuffling different players in and out of the studio. This album sounds like it was made in a day with the same guys throughout.

I am bothered by the inconsistencies in these so-called "authoritative" times by Rockwell and Goldmark - especially if they were using only their ears for identification.

Derrick Mau

Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2008 10:58 am    

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the information. Looks like I had the album all along as Decca or whoever re-released the music had changed the album cover. Nothing unusual, it has happened a lot.

Here are the songs listed on the "Music for a Hawaiian Luau" LP.

1. Luau Song
2. Don't dig that poi
3. Holoholo Ka'a
4. Hanohano Hanalei
5. Kuwili
6. Kaloaloa
7. Alika
8. My Waikiki Girl
9. Hoku Lani
10. Heart Of Paradise
11. Leiana
12. Mahalo E Hilo Hanakahi

In my opinion, sounds like 3 different steel players on this album. I don't hear Barney or Jules on any of these cuts but it sounds like Splash & Freckles Lyons, and possibly another steel player.

Selection 7 & 8 with Andy Cummings are the same steel player. It has that characteristic tone of a Fender.

Selection 11 & 12 another steel player.

And another steel player for the remanding cuts.

Aloha Very Happy

Bill Flores

Ventura, California, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2008 12:37 pm     sterling Mossman

I still think we're talking two different albums,but both having the SAME tunes by different artists. javascript:emoticon('Smile')The Mossman LP has the same band and vocalist on all the cuts to my ear. The songs are as follows: The luau song
Kumu in a Muumu
Maui Girl
I wonder where my hula girl has gone
Holoholo Kaa
Princess Poo-poo-ly..
give me the island every time
Hapa Haole Girl
Lucky you come Hawaii
E Naughty Naughty..
Pidgin English Hula
I can understand the confusion if some on these tracks are on other compilations.On my cassette I have the Lp AND Hukilau Hulas, which has various artists doing some of the same songs. I realized on closer listening that they totally different groups. I wish we could all sit down together and listen to these cut and compare opinions!! javascript:emoticon('Very Happy')
Bill Flores

Derrick Mau

Honolulu, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2008 10:29 am    

Aloha Very Happy[/quote]
Derrick, the songs on the "Music For A Hawaiian Luau" LP are the same as on "Happy In Hawaii."[/quote]

Aloha Bill(Wynne),

I ran across some information on a website by a record collector who has a listing of the songs on the "Happy In Hawaii" vinyl LP. They match the songs that Bill Flores has recently listed so, "Music For A Hawaiian Luau" is not a re-issue with the same songs on it.

Anyway, here's a pic of the LP cover for "Music For A Hawaiian Luau".

Dave Mayes

Oakland, Ca.
Post  Posted 4 May 2008 9:00 pm    

Found my copy of "Happy in Hawaii" (Decca DL 8833).

I also grabbed a few Danny Stewart and Pua Almeida items to help refresh my ears.

I don't know if you hit the bulls eye Bill Wynne (you may have), but I think you got really close.

I don't hear Pua Almeida anywhere. I think I hear Barney playing solo (3 cuts 1st side), Barney double tracking with himself (2 cuts 1st side) and MAYBE Barney backing Danny Stewart on most of the cuts on side two.

I find "Maui Girl" and "I Wonder Where My Hula Girl Has Gone" to be real gems - tight, really fluid.
It would be great to Know this is Barney.

Hope you can get this LP posted so we can get some more opinions.

Joe Goldmarks' reference book makes no claims as to accuracy...in fact he concludes the book's introduction with "As always,I welcome your additions and corrections; please make sure the steel is the featured instrument. Happy browsing and thanks for the continued support".

Great minds think alike, fools rarely differ.

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 4 May 2008 9:25 pm    

Barney is, (and will always be), my favorite of all the steel guitarists of Hawaii. I had the great pleasure of knowing him and backing him on rhythm at a number of bashes...wow. I noticed the name Jake Holck was mentioned re: the Barefoot Gang...Jake played beautiful steel which was seldom heard. I contacted him asking him to play steel at the Kapiolani Bandstand HSGA bash in the late 80's. He showed up two years in a row, then sadly, passed away the following year. Jake also played fine r/guitar and ukulele.

Bill Wynne

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2008 5:32 am    

Bill Wynne wrote:
Aloha Very Happy
Derrick, the songs on the "Music For A Hawaiian Luau" LP are the same as on "Happy In Hawaii."

Derrick Mau wrote:
I ran across some information on a website by a record collector who has a listing of the songs on the "Happy In Hawaii" vinyl LP. They match the songs that Bill Flores has recently listed so, "Music For A Hawaiian Luau" is not a re-issue with the same songs on it.

OK. I am officially out on this one as the lengthier the post becomes, the more I am misunderstood. Oh Well

At no point did I say that "Music For A Hawaiian Luau" was a reissue of "Happy In Hawaii." Derrick noted two songs that appear on both, and I meant to say that these few songs that he noted are the same versions on both records. I spin these on my radio show all the time and there are other artists - and other steelers - on this record including those that Derrick cited.

Decca was notorious for not releasing a lot of new material during this period but merely repackaging jukebox singles that they had released. (For example, Mahi Beamer's 45rpm single "Kawohikukapulani/Na Kuahiwi `Elima" was rereleased on two different Decca 12" LP compilations and George Keoki's "Hula O Makee" was released first as a 45rpm and then later on another compilation LP. And then there are the multiple repackagings of Alfred Apaka's work on this label which, too, often appears on the compilation LPs.)

In case anybody cares, the other steel players on the record Derrick mentions, "Music For A Hawaiian Luau," have been identified by Bruce Clarke as they were included on some of his many reissues on Cumquat Records. However, Cumquat did not reissue any of the Sterling Mossman sides (as he probably does not own the rights to them).

Bill Wynne

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2008 5:37 am    

George Keoki Lake wrote:
Barney is, (and will always be), my favorite of all the steel guitarists of Hawaii. I had the great pleasure of knowing him and backing him on rhythm at a number of bashes...wow. I noticed the name Jake Holck was mentioned re: the Barefoot Gang...Jake played beautiful steel which was seldom heard. I contacted him asking him to play steel at the Kapiolani Bandstand HSGA bash in the late 80's. He showed up two years in a row, then sadly, passed away the following year. Jake also played fine r/guitar and ukulele.

Funny that you should mention Jake as I am trying to purchase his fry pan. I met and performed with his grandson who thought I might appreciate it. (He was surprised that a mainland haole had heard of Jake Holck.) I am still waiting to hear if the `ohana can bear to part with it. Their reluctance is understandable.