The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Armrests for Single Necks
Don Blood

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2008 1:31 pm    

Just in case anyone is wondering, I'm still manufacturing adjustable armrests for Pedal Steel Guitars. I've been waiting for the weather to improve, so that I could resolve a few other issues first. I've been busy improving fixtures and tooling. I've started a new website: http://armrest.donblood.com
The website seems to be fixed now.

If anyone thinks they may be interested, let me know.

Don Blood Smile

Last edited by Don Blood on 11 May 2008 8:26 am; edited 2 times in total

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2008 10:27 am    

Don, what's the pricing including shipping?....JH in Va.

Al Vesel

Chisholm, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2008 10:57 am     Arm pad for Emmons push pull S10

Don,
I emailed you last night. I am interested in one of these but would like to discuss first. If you look at my emails I believe I have a phone number on one of them. Please contact me.
TXS
Al Vesel
Emmons LeGrande SKH D-10 - WALKER STEREO STEEL AMP w JBL ENCLOSURES & TC ELECTRONICS M-ONE XL PROCESSOR, HILTON VP,FURMAN POWER CONDITIONER, SARNO's Steel Guitar BLACK BOX,BJS,ToneMaster bars,FENDER Strat, FENDER & Ovation acoustic's

Don Blood

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2008 3:08 pm     Price

The Price including Shipping to the 48 states is $85.00
They are guaranteed, and if you are not satisfied, I'll refund your money.

Don Smile

Ernest Cawby

Lake City, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2008 5:31 am     HI

Don I had one of these on my Pro 1 worked very well, looked good to, good job.

ernie

Don Blood

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2008 8:39 pm     Thanks!

Thanks Ernie! Very Happy

Tom Buur

Denmark
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2008 12:10 pm    

Haven't even bought a pedal steel yet. But before getting one (single 10) I was wondering how important an armrest would be, so I did search in this forum. And up came this thread. Now at least I know there is a remedy if I buy one without an armrest and regret.

But how important is an armrest, actually? I guess if it mattered much they would not make steel guitars without them at all. And in fact they do.

Don Blood

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2008 8:26 pm     How important?

Tom,
The armrest or pad seems to be more of a preference than a necessity. In fact, some steel players would rather not have one. Myself, I like it, but that's just me.

When I sell these, I always guarantee, that if you're not satisfied with it, I will refund your money.

Don Blood http://armrest.donblood.com
Smile

Tom Buur

Denmark
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2008 11:11 pm    

I have a feeling that I would prefer an armrest. I only have a lapsteel to test this "feeling", but still. An important reason for taking up steel to me is arthritis in the fingers, mainly left hand, which hinders me from playing guitar the way I used to, particularly bending strings. Holding a steel this, of course, is no problem. Yet with increasing arthritis problems I guess an armrest could make things easier for me, so that I don't put too much strain on the wrist too.

I note that the armrest is not level with the strings, like it would be on a D10 instrument if you use the C6 as armrest. Shouldn't it be possible to elevate the armrest so the it can be adjusted for maxium comfort?

Don Blood

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2008 11:31 pm     Fully Adjustable

Tom,

Yes, this pad is fully adjustable. But, personally
I think it would be too high if it is the same height as the strings.

Don

Roy McKinney

Ontario, OR
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2008 3:26 am    

The only drawback I can see is where do you carry it. It wont fit in the case or pacseat. I made one that is only about 5" long and it just supports the right hand and will fit in the pacseat or the pedal bar slot.

Mike Baldwin

Watsonville, Ca. USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2008 12:25 pm     armrest

I purchased one of these from Don last year to use on my Dekley S-10 and shortly afterwards got an S-12 Dekley-It is adjustable enough to fit them both. Also putting it on or taking it off isn't any more trouble then taking off or putting on one of the legs on your steel guitar

Don Blood

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2008 12:27 pm    

I have been working on a case, but I'm a long way from having it perfected. I made one with wheels on it, that I could put my armrest and some other items in, and then strap the psg case on top and wheel them out to the truck. But, that's another story.

Thanks Mike, I'm glad it fit your new steel.

Don

Clayton Croft

Western Kentucky
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2008 5:28 pm    

Please rest assured that Don will go above and beyond to please his customers. I purchased one of these armrests for a Fender some months ago. I needed some spacers to make everything work like I wanted and he took care of every detail. Buy from him with confidence!

Dennis Wireman

North West Indiana 47978
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2008 4:51 pm     arm rest

Don nice talking to you and what a great arm rest what quality, very nice workmanship, fast shipping, and great person to deal with. if you s-10 players don't have one of these , you don't know what you are missing. Thanks Don for everything.

Dennis

Don Blood

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2008 12:52 am     Thanks!

Thanks Dennis, I appreciate your business, and your post.

Thanks Clayton for the nice post.

Don Blood http://armrest.donblood.com

Don Blood

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2008 8:38 am     Trouble with web site is fixed now.

I've resolved my site donblood.com, and armrest.donblood.com It is now up.If anyone is interested in an armrest that I make, please send an email to:
donald.blood@ymail.com , or phone 217-935-9192.

Thanks, Don Blood

http://armrest.donblood.com
www.donblood.com

Last edited by Don Blood on 4 Aug 2010 12:51 am; edited 2 times in total

Al Vesel

Chisholm, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2008 3:03 am     Arm Rest for my Emmons S-10

I received my arm Rest for my Emmons push pull S-10 from Don. I ordered the 5" (I believe you can get them in 3,4,& 5").
It is amazing. They are awesome armpads. And so comfortable. Truly makes your S-10 an SD-10. And I have to say, looks real good, also.

I am attaching a couple of pictures to show you how nice it looks. Again, very reasonable in price also.

Al Vesel

Emmons LeGrande SKH D-10 - WALKER STEREO STEEL AMP w JBL ENCLOSURES & TC ELECTRONICS M-ONE XL PROCESSOR, HILTON VP,FURMAN POWER CONDITIONER, SARNO's Steel Guitar BLACK BOX,BJS,ToneMaster bars,FENDER Strat, FENDER & Ovation acoustic's

Don Blood

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2008 8:39 am     Thanks Al!

Al,

Thanks for your post, it was a pleasure doing business with you. That's a nice looking Emmons too, by the way.

Don

Stan Paxton

1/2 & 1/2 Florida and Tenn, USA (old Missouri boy gone South)
Post  Posted 12 May 2008 2:36 pm    

Don, for the sake of those who want to know: say a person had a D-10 but does not use the C6 neck, do you make an arm-rest to cover that neck? Maybe a person might have a real nice wood double neck, only played E-9, but wanted to keep the guitar for reasons of appearance and tone (or something) Smile
Mullen Lacquer SD 10, 3 & 5; Mullen Mica S 10 1/2 pad, 3 & 5; BJS Bars; LTD400, Nashville 112, DD-3, RV-3, Hilton VP . -- Gold Tone PBS sq neck; Wechter Scheerhorn sq neck. -- "Experience is the thing you have left when everything else is gone." -anon.-

Don Blood

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2008 6:45 pm    

Stan,

I don't make a cover for the C6 neck, I think someone does though. I have made pads to be used after the C6th
neck has been removed.

Don
http://armrest.donblood.com

Don Blood

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2008 7:04 pm     St. Louis Convention

I plan on having some of these armrests at the convention in St. Louis, just in case anyone is interested in checking them out if you're going there on Labor Day weekend.

Don Blood

James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2008 2:59 pm    

A while back I wanted one for my Sierra ( square legs ) Do you remember that one Don ? .....Don and I talked back and forth and he made one that in the end fit my Sierra to a T and is very high quality and very comfortable .... He will not be happy until YOU are happy ....Great guy to deal with and his arm rest is top shelf !!!......Highly reccomended ....Jim

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2008 4:33 pm    

Don built one for my guitar. It arrived fast and fit perfectly. I sent him a couple of critical measurements. It was like he had my guitar in his shop to go by. I didn't even have to adjust the brackets, they were in perfect alignment, right out of the box. Great guy to deal with.

Don Blood

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2008 5:49 am     Thanks!

James Quackenbush wrote:
A while back I wanted one for my Sierra ( square legs ) Do you remember that one Don ? .....Don and I talked back and forth and he made one that in the end fit my Sierra to a T and is very high quality and very comfortable .... He will not be happy until YOU are happy ....Great guy to deal with and his arm rest is top shelf !!!......Highly reccomended ....Jim

Thanks Jim, sure I remember, I have a picture of it on my website.

Thanks for the kind words Jim & Rick. Much appreciated.

Don Blood