The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Surface mounted pickup for resonator?
Andy Henriksen

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2019 6:33 am    

Andy Henriksen wrote:
I have a cheap Regal squareneck that mostly just collects dust. I would like to be able to (cheaply) amplify for gigs - probably just a couple songs per night (I primarily play electric lap steel, and some PSG). This thread is over 10 years old, but it seems to be heading in a useful direction for me....except that now, 10 years later, I can't seem to find my way to the page mentioned above to actually see more info about and purchase the "Vintage Artist." That website is a bit of a labrynth....

So, anyone have a direct link to the pickup being discussed here (artec vintage artist), or have a current suggestion of something similar? Is it the same as this (which has "Jazz" in the name)? https://www.ebay.com/p/Artec-Jazz-Vintage-Artist-Side-Mounted-Mini-Humbucker-Pickup-Chrome/12021414560

So, I did buy the PU in that link. I gave it a totally half-assed test run just to confirm that it actually works, but haven't done anything else with it since.

Two questions:

1. what do you stick it to the guitar with!?

2. What's the purpose of the metal tab that sticks out of the one end? It seems like it just makes the thing bulkier than it needs to be, and might get in the way when playing, and possibly even make mounting it more difficult.

Keith Glendinning

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 7 May 2019 6:41 am    

The side tab is used to fix it to the scratchplate on a Jazz Archtop guitar using adhesive. The tab sits under the scratchplate close to the end of the neck.

Andy Henriksen

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2019 9:33 am    

Keith Glendinning wrote:
The side tab is used to fix it to the scratchplate on a Jazz Archtop guitar using adhesive. The tab sits under the scratchplate close to the end of the neck.

So, no problems if I zip it off on the band saw, then?

Any tips on adhesive to mount it with? I thinking just a piece of double-sided tape, probably some with the foam core. Again, this is going on a mostly POS guitar, so I'm not too concerned with resale value or anything.

Keith Glendinning

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 7 May 2019 9:39 am    

No problem removing the tab. Any suitable strong adhesive would suffice. Epoxy?

Andy Henriksen

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2019 9:51 am    

Thanks, Keith!

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 8 May 2019 9:15 pm     Kent Armstrong Pickups

Keith Glendinning wrote:
No problem removing the tab. Any suitable strong adhesive would suffice. Epoxy?

Even though you already found one some might want to try these archtop jazz pickups.
I think these Kent Armstrong pickups would also fit well. Nice warm tone too.

https://www.wdmusic.com/kent-armstrong-archtop%20series-jazzy-joe-neck-mount-humbucker-pickup-details.html

Also consider using 3M Double Stick Tape to mount it. That way if you don't like it or have a valuable instrument you have not ruined it. Very Happy
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.