The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Audacity
David Fields

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2008 8:06 pm    

Does anyone know about Audacity? A friend told me about it, and it's free, but what does it do?
Also, what does cakewalk do?
Thanks for the help.

Dave

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2008 2:15 am    

Audacity is a free PC recording program and can be downloaded HERE If you want to convert, for example tapes to CD's, Audacity will allow you to record from your "Line In" on the PC to the hard drive and then after you get it on the hard drive you can burn CD's.

Cakewalk also makes multi track recording software but it's not free. My Sonar 7 is a "professional" grade recording program from Cakewalk.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2008 4:16 am    

I used Audacity for awhile and got very frustrated by the basic things it could not do (perhaps the non-free version does them?). Then I switched to REAPER, also free, and it's pretty much a free Pro-Tools clone. Highly recommended! Google it up.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2008 4:20 am    

Jim, I think these are programs for two different applications. Audacity is primarily for what I mentioned, recording tapes/vinyl, etc to the PC.

I don't consider it a "recording" program like Cubase (and the LE version), Sonar, Pro Tools, etc.

Jeremy Steele

Princeton, NJ USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2008 6:23 am    

I record on a Roland VS 1880 and mix down to stereo in real time using Audacity. It serves this purpose very well, but I know there's a lot of stuff it doesn't do...will check out Reaper, Jim...thanx for the tip.

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2008 7:38 am    

http://www.reaper.fm/

I've been using it for a while on my second PC.. very nice. I may even pay for it.. Smile

Richard Durrer

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2008 12:48 pm    

Here is the link to Audacity: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ . I would recommend that you download the Standard version 1.2.6(stable), not the new Beta version (unstable). That way, if you need help, more people are familiar with the screens and menus because there are some differences between the two. IMHO.

Jerry Scoope

Denver,Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2008 7:09 pm    

I found out last night you can do multiple "sound on sound " tracks then delete un wanted ones. Its a simple program for us not quite so recording literate

www.GospelTrailMinistry.org

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2008 7:57 pm    

I've been using Audacity for a while and I really like it. You can do multiple takes, edit and combine takes onto one track or multiple tracks, copy and paste from one track to another, pitch correct... not that I need to! Winking , crossfade, etc. It works for me. I usually record steel --> black box --> volume pedal --> delay --> computer. You can't beat the price! It's Free.

Here's a short instructional mp3 I recently recorded using Audacity with band-in-a-box backing --> Click

Chip Fossa

Monson, MA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2008 7:41 pm    

Doug,

How did you get BIAB's bass line to match up almost perfectly with the Xmas carol? Usually BIAB sound files are what you get-no room for change.

I use Audacity mainly when I want to change a song into another key without changing the tempo. As in Goldwave, you can change keys, OK, but the tempo goes up or down, so it makes you have to put on a capo. Audacity let's you change the key and not have to worry about tempo change. I think I'm saying this right. It's just easier to change keys in Audacity, than Goldwave. But Audacity has it's own limitations, too.

A friend sent me some of his original music files for me to play around with, and the 1st one happened to be in the key of F. We both decided, so far, on putting a dobro part to the song.

I've got my dobro tuned to a "D" tuning, so it was very easy for me, to chnage keys in Audacity to play along with this file.

Anyway - no one program does it all. That's what I've come to realize over the years. Take one for what it is, especially if you're a WIZ and understand everything, and be satisfied with that much.

FWIW

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2008 7:50 pm    

Quote:
How did you get BIAB's bass line to match up almost perfectly with the Xmas carol?

Hi Chip, I just opened BIAB, clicked on NEW, typed in the chords I wanted, picked a style, and saved the track. Then I made a WAV of the track, opened Audacity and clicked on File / Open, and chose the WAV file.

Chip Fossa

Post  Posted 4 Apr 2008 8:48 pm    

Doug,

I'm impressed. I've always had problems with BIAB, even with George Wixon's personal email help, and his outstanding BIAB website.

I guess I just don't spend enuff time with BIAB. I'm still with v.11c, and right off the bat, those BIAB cats have a whole different definition of what "chorus" means.

These are jazz guys. So. Either learn their lingo, or forget it.

Just like with the PC, I have a lot of trouble understanding the LINGO. If you don't get that, then you get, ooh-gotz.

My problem is that I'm not very adept with BIAB. It immediately confused and intimated me. Me and BIAB got off on the wrong foot, never to return. I gave up on it. Didn't have the patience. I understood some of it, but the rest was lost on me.

Rolling Eyes

Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2008 5:14 am    

Chip
You're not alone. I, too, am struggling with BIAB. It is not the easiest thing to get on to. One of the reason as you say, is that those guys have a lot of jazz in their blood.

One little irritant for me is this: They have Floyd Cramer styles , country styles, folk styles and everything in between, But do they have the good old Ray Price style 4/4 shuffle with the walking bass? Noooo,not that I have found. Maybe someone could enlighten me. Maybe I just don't have all the styles on my BIAB. I agree though, George Wixon is a very good teacher.

John Roche

England
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2008 5:39 am    

Bent,
http://fastfreefilehosting.com/file/565/Styles26-rar.html

Chip Fossa

Post  Posted 5 Apr 2008 6:42 am    

One more thing, guys - what I really meant to get across about "jazz" guys is that they have a completely different idea of what a "chorus" is. Us country dudes all know what a chorus is; to us.

But in the jazz world "chorus" has a real different meaning altogether. And that's one main premise on which BIAB is founded. It's actually not hard to figure out, once you read about it.

But, to me, it just disrupts my little country mind-set. Along with other incomprehensible terms and directives, I just gave up.

I was lookin' to create, note for note, some kind of melody in the "staff" section of BIAB. You know, something simple, and maybe stupid. But BIAB after typing in a few notes, would auto-add what IT percieved the direction I was heading. That's a bummer. Because I didn't really know where I was going with this melody; and BIAB just confounded everything. That's when I said "Pheewy". Too much work and not enuff fun.

Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2008 9:06 am    

Thanks John. You came thru again
B

Delmar Horner

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2008 5:22 pm     Audcity

Hi i am a new kid on the block so i have a question for the experts.I downloaded Audcity 1.2.6 can any one tell me how does it work or where i can download user manual.I just joined the SGF so hope i am doing this right ,for give me if i am in the wrong place thanks .DEL

richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2008 9:26 pm    

Delmar,
Go to the Audacity website, there is all the information you need on there.

Delmar Horner

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2008 11:14 am     Audacity

Thanks richard i will give it a try del

Greg Wisecup

Troy, Ohio
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2008 1:07 pm    

One of the most useful features of Audacity is that it will record "anything that you can hear coming through your speakers."

Roy Ayres

Riverview, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 27 May 2008 9:11 am    

I haven't had time to read all of the above posts, so this may have been covered:

I use Audacity for changing the key and/or the tempo of a song -- a handy feature if you are using MIDI files for rhythm tracks. Input has to be a WAVE file, and the output can be exported to WAVE.

You can hear some samples by clicking on

http://RoysFootprints.com

then selecting "Roy's Music."
Visit my Web Site at RoysFootprints.com
Browse my Photo Album and be sure to sign my Guest Book.