The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Entry level recording.
Delvin Morgan

Lindstrom, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2008 3:51 pm    

Randy, concerning your Lambda. In another thread someone recommends a little USB mixer as a sound card/interface. So, what does the Lambda do that the mixer don't? Or visa versa. I am just getting into some home recording. I need advice, big time.

Randy Reeves

LaCrosse, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2008 3:44 am    

the Lambda has a recording program with it, as do other digital interfaces. you ask a great question. since I do not use a mixer like that I am at a loss to answer.

John Roche

England
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2008 3:59 am    

Randy, I use a Alesis 12 fire wire mixer for recording,
they are very easy to use, I also use Audition 3 with it . I get great results.
http://www.alesis.com/mixers

Greg Wisecup

Troy, Ohio
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2008 7:05 am    

I finally got around to getting my Lexicon Alpha/CubaseLE hooked up and operating properly and WOW! It's a much, much better sound and way of recording to your hard drive. I did a very quick test using my keyboard for the drum/piano baseline backing track. Then recorded the steel. Added a little reverb. Did a mixdown to mp3 and WOW. A very realistic CD quality recording. I havn't even began to scratch the surface in using this software. At the speed of my learning curve; this should keep me busy for about the next 200 years. It's a much better way than using the computer sound card. The initial mix down is to a wav. I'm sure there is a reason I want it as an mp3 but it sounds the same to me. Somehow I ended up with a free trial called "Switch" a file converter. If anyone has a suggestion on a free one; please let me know. Thanks, Greg

Randy Reeves

LaCrosse, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2008 7:19 am    

Greg. glad to hear you are up and running. I Exported to MP3 often. I could use my computer's player to check the mix. I have read on this forum that WAV is best for CD burning.

I have Cubase Essential up and running. made a song with several tracks. however, wen I went to export and make an MP3 I no longer had MP3 listed in the pull down menu; just WAV , that OG something abbrviation and something else. I miss the MP3 option. must look into that.

when you run out of MP3 capability I have a patch that allows you to make an endless amount.

saturday, 4/12th, I sen you the CubaseLE tutorial DVD. that may shave a hundred years off your tasks.

Greg Wisecup

Troy, Ohio
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2008 8:22 am    

Thanks a lot Randy. I'm looking forward to that dvd. wav. is better?? Any free file converters out there? Does the hard drive allocate so much room for mp3 making or what. I don't understand.

Randy Reeves

LaCrosse, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2008 8:33 am    

not hard drive limiting MP3. my experience, from within Steinberg Cubase. Steinberg made an extention patch years ago. then stopped selling it. someone who had bought it sent the patch to me. I, per his request, continue to pass it along .gratis.

so, Greg, I imagine at some point you may run out of MP3 making. now as for WAV being better. I am just passing along what I have heard.
remember, I am only a few months 'down river' from you when it comes to recording etc.