The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  TASCAM DP-01 Disk Management- any tips?
Mark Lind-Hanson

Menlo Park, California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2008 12:27 pm    

Well I want to get this up to folks on the Forum, SINCE all my inquiries to TASCAM's so-called "customer Service Center" have gone unanswered, for the past week.
I have a DP-O1 hard disk recorder- quite happy with it, really, onlly I hit a snag this last weekend and experienced a "disk full" message.
This meant that I had filled up the first partition of the disk.
What I WANT to do, (if I can, since their manuals DO NOT address this) - is to move some songs over into "Partiton 2" to free up space.
When I go to select Partion 2, it asks me-
"are You Sure?"-
Now, having read their manual on disk reformatting (the only part of this issue they actually seem to address)- all they have are directions to reofrmat the disk. And tell you that you will erase all your data if you do so.
But I don;t want to reformat, I just want to use the other partion, and is this possible-
I mean if I press ENTER/YES, am I going to lose whatever I have already got in Partition One?
Because that is the way they have it framed in the manual.
Please don't think I'm bein' a dummy- I'm only trying to play it SAFE, and when their manual says NOTHING about selecting the partitions, really (makes no mention of this "are you sure?" message, either, then one is left thinking, gee,e maybe I had better not do this unless I want to really screw it all up!
SO
anybody else out there with a TASCAM DP-01, who's had some experience in the partition selection process & manage your tracks this way, please sign in and lemme know what the heck I am doing wrong, IF anything!
Their "Customer Service" Dept. is a Friggin' Joke.

Mark Lind-Hanson

Post  Posted 27 Mar 2008 3:07 pm    

After about a week, I got my answer.
(No, unless you select format, switching the partitions is not affected.)
Well it sure was not OBVIOUS, but there is it.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2008 2:27 am    

Hi Mark, I have a question for you !

I am looking to acquire another small 8 track such as the DP-01 FX, does it have assignable effects such as Reverb , EQ and Delay for each channel ?

Also , my understanding is that this is a TRUE 8 track unit, not a unit with a dedicated stereo pair ..Correct ?

regarding the Hard Drive, I believe the 2nd partition is the FAT32 partition for transferring data to the PC via USB to archive or back-up songs..no ? The manual states that to transfer data to the PC it must first be moved to the FAT32 partition. This appears to be pretty common for Tascam Hard Drive units.

I'm not sure why it would be a problem to record or move data direct to that partition as well , it appears that is what you are doing .

An IDE hard Drive will fail, back it up !!

been there dun that Sad

thanks

tp

Mark Lind-Hanson

Post  Posted 28 Mar 2008 1:03 pm    

NO- the second partition is NOT the FAT partition, the FAT partition is # 3.
YES it is a true 8-track, and it allows you to buss (bounce) tracks over so that you have much more than just an "8 track" capability. Just be sure that when you begin any particular song you assign 2 tracks for your bounce at the start, since you can only bounce them onto unused tracks (unless you want to go over something you don't want in the mix). It's actually pretty adaptable this way.
I am unsure about the DP 01FX, since that's not the model I have got- I have the bare bones stripped down minimum with no effects. HOWEVER I think that yes, it DOES have assignable effects on the DP01FX. A lot more than just those three!