The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jerry Blanton
Gordon Borland

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2008 7:19 pm    

I had a nice talk by phone with Jerry Blanton today.
He is doing well and playing quite a bit. I have not talked to Jerry for many many years and it was really nice to catch up on old times. We don't see him post on the forum because he said he does not have a computer.
I always wondered how many years he spent making steel guitars and he said he opened in 1964 and closed in 1984 and made about 300 guitars. I wish I could have bought a steel from him and started playing in the '60's but that was not in the cards for me. I was lucky
to just get an Airline six string on a Montgomery Ward close out sale in 1964. We told stories for about an hour and forty five minutes. He has always been a great guy to visit. He plays a Blanton single neck.
If you have a story about Jerry I would sure like to hear it!
If you play a Blanton I would like to know and let him know as well. Especially if he made it for you.

Roger Shackelton

MINNESOTA (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2008 7:03 am    

Blanton PSGs are very unique in many ways. They stay in tune & have very good tone. The pedals tuned somewhat oddly underneath the guitar by feel. I believe the very heavy weight is what doomed them. Perhaps if they had been built in a standard wood cabinet they may have survived.
Jimmy Day played a BLANTON BLUE DARLIN' in the early 1970s.

Roger

Jason Longoria

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2008 10:03 am    

Jerry is playing this coming Tuesday in Dhanis w/ Frenchie Burke if anyone is interested.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2008 11:06 am    

Gordon,I've owned 4 Blantons and still have an SD-10 4+4.I can't say enough about Jerry an absolute genius salt of the earth life long friend,and mentor.I haven't seen Jerry in over twenty years but I got to speak with him about a month ago when we were gonna meet at Rudy's Bar-B- Que in Santoneeo,One of us went to the wrong Rudy's..I'll catch him next time.Stu
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Roger Shackelton

MINNESOTA (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2008 12:30 pm    

HI STU,

I think someone should take up the challenge and build a modern BLANTON PSG. Single,Double-10s & S-12Us with Maple or formica cabinets, keyed and keyless models.
Where's Bill Gates when I need him. Smile

ROGER

Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2008 12:57 pm    

Gordon, I sent you an email

Gordon Borland

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2008 2:14 pm     Reply

Roger,
Jerry built two wooden cabinets. One he sold one and just recently stared working on again. I wish I could visit with him in person and record an interview and then make it available for folks to listen to.

Jason,
I going to try to make the gig and talk to Jerry.

Stu,
I very much agree with you about Jerry. I hope a visit works out for you sometime.

Brent,
Thanks for the email and I will see what I can do.

Well now we know where a few Blantons are. I wonder where the rest of them are.
I think Al Michalczak has one or maybe two.

Papa Joe Pollick

Swanton, Ohio
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2008 2:16 pm    

Smile I'm answering the roll call too.Love the sound of my Blanton.PJ

Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2008 3:10 pm    

Quote:
he said he does not have a computer

Jerry doesn't need a computer. He has one on the top of his neck. What a genius, and a gen-yoo-wine nice guy!

Stu, I remember a blue Blanton that you brought over to Charlie Holman's garage in Austin around '78 or so. Do you recall that day?

www.cherryridgestudio.com
www.steelguitartracksonline.com

Jason Longoria

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2008 3:50 pm    

Gordon the gig may be close to being sold out, its at Bill & Rosa's KK Steakhouse, D'Hanis, tuesday 25th, call them if youre gonna go, theyve been advertising it on the radio AM 1460 and they mention Jerry Blanton everytime on the air, how cool!

Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 20 Mar 2008 4:34 pm    

Tommy,I had two blue ones,I mean Blanton guitars Ha!I don't remember Charlie Holman?I need some more clues to trigger my brain...Tommy I was in Austin a few years ago and caught you at the Spoke for a Lefty Frissell Birthday?something like that...Man you play so great,I wish that I could have stayed and yaked at ya'.I'll have to make it down one day.Roger a modern Blanton would be so cool.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Steve Hamill

California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2008 6:42 am     Show em if Got em!

This thread needs some pictures of those Blantons.

Papa Joe Pollick

Swanton, Ohio
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2008 7:16 am    

Gordon Borland

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2008 10:07 am     Great!

Thanks for the pictures! Great idea and hope there will be more to come!

Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 22 Mar 2008 8:37 am    

Here's me when I had hair and the D-10 Blue guitar Tommy was mentioning.

Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2008 3:46 pm    

Just like I remember you Stu!

Quote:
I don't remember Charlie Holman?

Charlie played with Lee Mounger and a Little Bit Of Texas during that time. He was living at his parents house off of Cameron Road then. Sadly, Charlie passed away last year quite unexpectedly.

Quote:
I was in Austin a few years ago and caught you at the Spoke for a Lefty Frissell Birthday?something like that...

Could it have been a Bobby Earl Smith Birthday Bash? Those are the only dates I've worked at the Spoke during the past couple years that I can recall...

Quote:
Man you play so great,I wish that I could have stayed and yaked at ya'.

Aw, thanks (You sure it was me??) Wink Dang, I wish I had known you were there...

Tell Keith J. I said hey. He knew Charlie and knows Lee Mounger...

www.cherryridgestudio.com
www.steelguitartracksonline.com

Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 22 Mar 2008 6:12 pm    

Tommy,Now I remember Charlie...man that breaks my heart.The Spoke was a tribute to Lefty Frissell,It might be about 7 years ago,Time goes by so fast,Michael Ballew called me today,I haven't seen him since 1978,Man you take Care of yourself,Stu Winking

Duane Reese

Post  Posted 22 Mar 2008 7:15 pm    

I'm restoring a Blanton D-10 right now (#210041, used to be Mike Ester's) and I want to get a hold of Jerry to see if he has any parts left he'd sell...

PLEASE HELP! Very Happy

By the way, Justin Griffith is a great guy to talk to about all things Blanton. He is to Blantons what Ricky Davis is to Sho-Buds.

Jason Longoria

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2008 1:25 pm    

Hi here are some pics of Jerry last nite w/ Frenchie Burke in D'Hanis, Jerry is a real nice guy, he and Frenchie sounded just great, lots of fun!

also thats George Chambers in the background if anyone remember George and the Country Gentlemen (I don't, wasn't around but I heard)

Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2008 2:18 pm    

Do any of you have pictures of the underside?

Jason Longoria

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2008 2:20 pm    

haha, no man sorry, I took these while they were playing last nite, just took them for fun, thats all i got

Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 26 Mar 2008 2:22 pm    

Cool pix!Jerry's guitar is half chrome bridge pieces and half brass non chromed?

Papa Joe Pollick

Swanton, Ohio
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2008 2:29 pm    

I noticed that.Maybe the brass has a softer tone on the small strings.Dunno.I do know that I'm printing a copy of Jerry's picture and it goes on my wall with some other heros. Very Happy Very Happy ..PJ

Jason Longoria

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2008 3:47 pm    

Hey right on glad you all like the pics! Jerry sounded great man, real good sound last nite Smile Smile

Roger Shackelton

MINNESOTA (deceased)
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2008 8:19 pm    

Is Jerry playing through a Nashville 400 Amp?

Roger