The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Show us your oldest band picture................
George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2008 6:32 pm    

Sometime in the very early 70's i guess. I'm playing the Fender Mustang on the right. Is that an old Drewry Beer can in front of me? eee gads!

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2008 11:50 am    

Hey George R.......Do you still have that Mustang? If not, I'll bet you wish you did. Those things are getting fairly expensive for a good one.....JH in Va.

Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2008 2:09 pm    

Fender Mustang ?? ..or is that a Fender Duo-Sonic II ?

George Redmon

Post  Posted 6 Mar 2008 2:29 pm    

Tim that is a red Fender Mustang, nope don't have it anymore. My first wife used it to break up the apartment we had. Smashed the hell out of everything, laid the guitar down on the ground, then drove over it. I threw the guitar at her car, and smashed out the back window..never saw her, or the little mustang again..oh for the good ole days when men were men, and women were....well....

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2008 2:36 pm    

I'm glad you two could work out your differences in a civilized manner. Laughing

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Roger Kelly

Bristol,Tennessee
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2008 5:09 pm    

Here's mine....I have some pictures from earlier Bands, but couldn't find them.

Left to Right:Doug Morris, Bass - Mel Taylor, Rhythm Guitar and Vocals - "Red" Malone, Band Leader and Vocals - Jackie Miller, Electric Guitar and Vocals - John Holt, Road Manager. Roger Kelly, and my Home Made 1 Pedal, Pedal Steel Sitting in Front.

Picture of "Red" Malone and "The Smoky Mountaineers" taken at WCYB-TV Farm and Fun Time Studio in Bristol,Virginia circa 1956. We did 6 radio shows and 2-3 TV shows each week in addition to personal appearances. We did all the TV shows live at that time, but sometimes taped the radio shows when we were going to be out of town on personal appearances.
A few years after this picture was taken, Mel Taylor became Drummer for the "Ventures". Not only was Mel a great Drummer, he was a very good Flat Top Guitar player and Harmony singer. I'm sorry that he is no longer with us, he was a good friend and truly one of the good guys.

Mike Winter

Portland, OR
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2008 5:51 pm    

Mel Taylor rocked...he's missed.

Savell

Lakeland FL
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2008 7:52 pm    

1975 - Nic name "Q-Tip"

With hair and without the extra 60lb. spare tire.

George Redmon

Post  Posted 6 Mar 2008 9:26 pm    

Well Herb, i wasn't a very nice person back then, hell, some on the forum think i'm not a very nice person now. But i'm a sweetheart today. I never took sh*t off any woman, and they didn't off me either i guess. But that is not the first instrument i lost, i have lost alot of great guitars and amps, and steels through the years. I have had several stolen from me, given many away, pawned several. So i don't look back, just ahead. The past 23 years, have been the best years of my life. I don't generally warm up to women, i don't have a whole lot of use for them other then well...you know. But i met a little lady, that took my breath away, and we have been the best of friends for the past 23 years. She has made me a real person, and i thank her for that. Still haven't married her, might get around to it, might not. But we are great friends, and i don't want to mess that up with getting married again..heaven forbid. I'm trying to change, but still haven't...but i'm working on it... Rolling Eyes

George Redmon

Post  Posted 6 Mar 2008 9:49 pm    

On a lighter note, here is a picture of my dad and his band. He was a great steel player i hear. That steel is homemade. The legs are made out of lead water pipe. My mom said we were poor back then. He past away several years ago, not a very nice person as i hear of my mothers stories. This photo was taken at the studios of WKBZ AM radio station. They did a sunday evening live country radio program back then. I wish i could have gotten to really know him. I did a couple of jobs with him. But by the time i was old enough to get to know him, he split. I understand he drank himself to death at a rather young age. I wasn't informed of his death untill several years later.

Dave Van Allen

Doylestown, PA , US , Earth
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2008 10:19 am    

That's a "Lighter note"?!?

1973 "Hickory", opened for, then backed up Billy "Crash" Craddock at "Classic Country Supper Club" Arlington, VA. My first ZB Custom, an S10.
I'd just had turned 21, or was 'bout to...

The piano pounder is Steuart Smith, now working with the Eagles.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2008 12:19 pm    

Found some other ones, back when I was a bluegrasser...

This one from 1966 is me on mando, Jim Pelzer on guitar, and a banjoist whose name has been lost to history...

This one from 1968 is me on mando, and the great Pat Cloud on 5-string. Pat was playing Charlie Parker tunes on the banjo when Bela Fleck was watching cartoons and still waving "bye bye." Winking

In both photos I'm playing my 1939 F-5 that I mistakenly sold when I decided I'd rather play steel guitar. Along with my baseball card collection, a big financial mistake.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Jack Francis

Queen Creek, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2008 12:35 pm    

My first band.."Clueless" Taken while running from Groupies...I'm in the foreground Bobby Lee right behind me! Whoa!

FENDER TWIN & SEYMOUR DUNCAN 50W tube amps...1-12" 2-12" & 4-12" cabs and a FENDER MUSTANG-3

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2008 12:42 pm    

Herb, thanks for saying that about Pat Cloud. Brilliant player, who never got the recognition due him. Bela, Alison Brown, Scott Vestal, are all great players, but I think Pat was WAAAAY ahead of his time.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2008 1:07 pm    

Steve
Yes, Pat was... and still is... fantastic. He's got some great teaching material available at his website. We've communicated recently about course material and teaching techniques.

Bo Borland

South Jersey -
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2008 6:08 am    

Although there are some other pics floating around of me and a guitar, this is the oldest band picture I could find. Dig the mod jackets!
The picture says 1966 but I think it could be 1964. My Jaguar was a '63
There was no bass player....what were we thinking?
The Gems... Geoff (Jeff) , Elliot, Mike, & Steve..how creative.
We played everything from Motown,surf and British... but we loved soul music.
Interesting that we put the back line amps on the front line and passed the mic around. We used a Shure Vocal Master or a Bogen PA and no monitors.
It looks like the singer is taking one for the team.

Russ Tkac

Post  Posted 8 Mar 2008 7:55 am    

Herb,

Thanks for the picture with Pat Cloud. I've been working through his very good book. You look a little like Clarence White there! Smile

Russ

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2008 10:27 am    

1959, Keesler AFB, Biloxi, Ms. I'm on the left with the Gretsch "Chet Atkins" guitar.

This is April or May, 1971 right after I got my new Emmons PP. It was taken at the community center in Eldersburg, MD with the Dewey Reed band.

Don Sulesky

Citrus County, FL, Orig. from MA & NH
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2008 12:14 pm    

Circa 1959 with my band the Galaxies. I'm on the right with the '59 Strat.
Notice the Fabian sweaters.Laughing

Mike Winter

Portland, OR
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2008 1:43 pm    

Betcha wish you still had that Strat. Laughing

Donna Dodd

Acworth, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2008 2:06 pm    

Here's a cute one of Tommy with his brother, John and his Daddy. Tommy was 12.

- from movie Six Degrees of Separation

Come visit my steel guitar store on CafePress! http://www.cafepress.com/zoomwithaview
Webmaster, http://www.georgiasteelguitar.com

Dave Harmonson

Seattle, Wa
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2008 2:33 pm    

Herb, I guess I'll chime in about Pat Cloud, too. I met him in '74 at McCabes Music while I was down there visiting a friend. I had my guitar with me and we jammed for a bit and I really liked the way he knew how to play dynamicly along with a guitar. It's hard to find banjo players that will lay back now and then. He was up here in Seattle about a year or so back doing a couple of shows, and some friends of mine were having an acoustic jam at a little bar near my house and Pat showed up. I mentioned meeting him back in '74 and I was blown away when he said he remembered it. Great player, and we had our second great jam over 30 years later.

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2008 8:53 pm    

Donna Dodd wrote:
Here's a cute one of Tommy with his brother, John and his Daddy. Tommy was 12.

Now I know why Tommy's such a good player, Donna---He's been at it for 20 years Mr. Green Mr. Green .

(I love that little green dude)

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2008 10:44 pm     I actually wasn't a band menber (duh)

but it's a nice fantasy.

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2008 11:00 am    

Mike, do you have any shots to share from your North Long Beach days with Bobby Cahill's band? I'd like to see some of those..........JH in Va.