The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  ed black any info??
Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2008 9:03 am    

just listen to ed black's mp3 of steelin corn.
great picking .does anybody have any info on him and
what kind of steel he played. great tone on steelin corn http://www.etsga.org/steelguitarplayers.htm

p.w

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2008 6:10 pm    

Ed Black was from Arizona lived in L.A. recorded with Linda Ronstadt and many others,Played a Z.B and then a Emmons,and was a good friend to many of us here on the forum.Ed passed away a few years ago from Cancer and is greatly missed.I was wondering in the future at the Phoenix steel Guitar show if there was going to be a dedication for Ed?or his family? He also had a band in L.A. called the Eddies.Other friends of Ed's Chime in! Winking Winking Winking
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2008 6:58 pm    

Ed Black was one of the original California country rock steel players. Like Stu said, he recorded & toured with Linda R, and you can hear him on "Silver Threads And Golden Needles", her 1973 version from the Don't Cry Now LP.
Also, he's on Michael Dinner's LP "The Great Pretender"...some of the finest country rock never heard by the masses. It's out of print, but there are some of us that have it in our collection.

The Eddys were an instrumental band out here in LA, circa the '80's. Their two more well known tunes were "Saddle Up", which was a medley of TV western theme songs, and 'Steelin' Corn", which also featured some great guitar work by Rick MacDonald. During Ed's Ronstadt days, in the late '60's and early '70's, he played a ZB, but he switched to an Emmons p/p in the mid '70's and that's what he played for the rest of his life. "Steelin' Corn" was cut on his blue Emmons D10, which is now owned by Dan Dugmore.

Sadly, we lost Ed to cancer in Nov of 98, and, like Stu says, he is missed to this day.
He was my friend and neighbor, and we did lots of gigs together, with him on steel and myself on keys.
He was truly a prince of a guy....a real class act.

Russ Tkac

Post  Posted 26 Feb 2008 7:12 pm    

Hi Skip ... you beat me! Smile

"Stealin' Corn" is from the Eddys CD. Rick MacDonald played guitar in the band with Ed and sent me a copy. I forwarded the MP3 to Charles site so people could hear how Ed played.

You can read some about Ed Here

I was and still am a big fan! I am also sad that Ed is not around because I trust he would be playing some great stuff.

All the best,
Russ

Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2008 9:30 pm    

Stealin Corn,Saddle Up and the rest of that batch was cut over at Dave Pearlman's studio as I recall and Ed brought it over to my studio to do some overdubs and mix it. I pulled it out the other day and it still sounds as good as I remembered.Skip's right - Ed was a great guy,a great musician and a lucky S.O.B. When I first got to L.A. in the early 70s the first guy I met was Red Rhodes and the first thing he said to me was: "You're a steel player? New in town? Have you been out with Linda Ronstadt yet? She really likes steel players....Just ask Ed Black".

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2008 7:55 am    

Ed was a great guy and a good pal. Many probably don't know that he also worked for a saddle maker in the San Fernando Valley and was an accomplished leather worker. He made me a picks/bar bag that I sadly lost on the road somewhere. Sad

Miss ya, Ed...

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2008 8:32 am    

Here's a pic of the Eddys, complete with handtooled gtrs, done by Ed.

L-R...Ed, Paul Marshall, Hugh Wright (RIP) and Rick MacDonald.

Last edited by Skip Edwards on 19 May 2022 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total

Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2008 8:53 am    

Yep Herb's correct. Some of the finest western leather work I've ever seen. Every picker in town had one of Ed's wonderful hand tooled guitar straps and some had their whole Tele encased in tooled leather.Ed was in love with the whole Southwest mythos,music,history,Native American art,cowboy culture,etc. His take on Duane Eddy,spagetti western music,the Ventures,Bakersfield twang,60s western TV show theme songs and more is summed up in his instrumental medly called "Saddle Up". When the Eddys performed live,they were a sight and sound to behold with their leather ensheathed Fenders and Zorroesque outfits. It was cooler than cool I tell ya - it was downright equestrian. Ed was a twangler fer sure.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2022 2:09 am    

A bass player talks about Ed in this interview around the 1 hour and 28 minutes mark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGJbqfDXMec

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2022 4:13 pm    

Occasionally the world is a delightful series of coincidences. I bought this painting, a portrait of Ed Black, done by artist Ellen Bloom.

Any of you LA cats remember the music shows that used to be a night time feature on radio station KPCC-FM in the 80s and 90s? Ellen was the DJ for the Friday Night Blues Revue weekly program

I ran into her and bought this painting, she was displaying her art at a Christmas art show in downtown LA, I just randomly attended when meeting a friend there. Think I paid $40 or even less, actually negotiated a lower price (I still feel guilty about that), but really enjoy having this unique memento of Ed and his leather tooled Tele.

I knew Ed just a little from the LA steel tribe, but he sure was a nice guy. Sadly I never made it out to hear the Eddys.

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2022 3:07 am    

I wonder if Ed did Waylon's guitar leather?

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2022 3:14 am    

Craig,I'm pretty sure Waylon's guitar was tooled by a janitor in a club that he played in somewhere in Az,But not Ed...on day While having dinner at Ed's he showed me a custom 9string"Strat"that was Bobby Fuller's guitar that he played on "I fought the Law".
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Lynn Stafford

Ridgefield, WA USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2022 8:31 am     Ed Black's Emmons

Here are a few photos of Ed Black's '68 Emmons D-10 that I bought, restored and then later sold last year.

STEEL GUITAR WEST
http://www.steelguitarwest.com
Steel Guitar Technician (Restoration, Set-up, Service and Repair work)

Previous Emmons Authorized Dealer & Service Technician (original factory is now closed)

ZumSteel Authorized Service Technician
----------------------------------

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2022 3:16 am    

Thanks Stu, cool story, he must have been a great guy to hang out with and quite multi-talented.

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2022 7:03 am    

A Great Restoration job their Lynn. It is BEAUTIFUL. J.R. Rose

Gary Hoetker

California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2022 6:29 pm    

I saw Ed perform in person at a Hag concert at the Bakersfield Civic Auditorium in 1988 when he was in George Highfill’s Band. He was great! He is also is featured in Highfill’s album released at that time.

Bart Bull

New Orleans, USA/Paris FR/Berkeley USSR
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2022 9:14 pm    

Ed was in Goose Creek Symphony (along with Mickey McGee, Doug Haywood, and Bob Willard Henke) back in Phoenix days.

Here's the lead track on Michael Dinner's "The Great Pretender" album; Ed plays steel and guitar throughout the album alongside Mickey, with Doug doing harmonies. Ed's playing and tone here are breathtaking, as ever.
So exemplary...it rings out every bit as gloriously now as it did then.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i-ZzBQBlLA
Hohner Corona Dos en Fa, y Gabanelli en Sol

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2022 7:25 am    

Is this cover for the Martin guitar also made by Ed? I think they knew each other from the Linda Ronstadt days.

Russ Tkac

Post  Posted 27 Apr 2022 7:30 am    

Joachim Kettner wrote:
A bass player talks about Ed in this interview around the 1 hour and 28 minutes mark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGJbqfDXMec

Great story Joachim! Thanks for the link. Very Happy
Russ

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2022 8:30 am    

The cover on the guitar Waddy's holding was not made by Ed. It's a recent special issue from Gibson commemorating Buddy Holly hits. Waddy's says "That'll Be The Day".
Keith Allison had one that said "I'm Looking For Someone To Love".
Not sure how many were made, but only a very few, and given to just a handful of players.
The guitars are standard Gibson J45 acoustics, with custom made leather covers.
Here's a link to an interview with Keith & Norm (of Norms Rare Guitars) discussing the special Buddy Holly Gibsons.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQCz6qabzaE

OK, so now having taken the time to watch that clip I see that Waddy's doesn't say That'll Be The Day. I saw "Day"...but it's from the "Blue Days, Black Nights" part of the leatherwork.
Not sure what Waddy's says... I'll ask him the next time I see him.

Nice leatherwork, though. IMHO, Ed's was better.

Last edited by Skip Edwards on 27 Apr 2022 11:37 am; edited 4 times in total

Russ Tkac

Post  Posted 27 Apr 2022 8:41 am    

Howdy Skip! All the best.

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2022 8:42 am    

Right back at ya, Russ!

Olli Haavisto

Jarvenpaa,Finland
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2022 12:29 pm    

Skip, I have the Michael Dinner LP and now that you reminded me, I’ve played it twice already. A forgotten gem, for sure..

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2022 1:25 pm    

Yes it is, Olli. And your CD is a gem, as well... Thank you for the copy. It's in heavy rotation while driving to gigs.

Olli Haavisto

Jarvenpaa,Finland
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2022 11:41 am    

Wow, thanks, Skip…