The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tele strap-button on the heel block?
David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2007 5:22 am    

I recently noticed that Brad Paisley and Brent Mason both have their guitar strap hooked to a button next to the heel of the neck of their Telecasters, rather than on the customary upper bout of the guitar. As I don't, currently, sound quite as good as Brad Paisley and Brent Mason, I am wondering if this just might be the improvement that will kick me over the edge - has anybody else ever tried this, and if so why?

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2007 6:16 am    

I think it might be for balance.

Robert Leaman

Murphy, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2007 6:22 am     Strap

Maybe that removes strain from the guitar neck.

Dennis Coelho

Wyoming, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2007 6:38 am     Tele strap-button on the heel block?

I think those buttons on the Tele's heel are for a particular kind of "b-bender," or "g-bender" that stretches those strings up a half or whole step.

Dennis

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2007 7:52 am    

Their straps are hooked to a B-Bender unit made by Nashville's Joe Glaser. It's a short throw bender which works very well for uptempo things. Brent's bender (as is about 999 out of a thousand) is hooked to the B-string and raises the pitch to C# like the A pedal on an E9th tuning. Brad's bender however is hooked to his third string G and raises it to A. A bender is hooked to the 3rd string by some players but it's usually in addition to the B bender and isn't used nearly as much. What's nice about Joe's benders is there's no pulling hub visible behind the bridge as there is with a Parsons/White, Evans, or other units. The string goes right into the body of the guitar at the bridge piece which is cool. I don't really like the way the strap is hooked though as I think there's a balance problem there with some players. Some other players of note who use Joe's benders are Ricky Skaggs, Steve Wariner, & Jimmy Oleander of Diamond Rio.......JH in Va.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2007 8:53 am    

Quote:
As I don't, currently, sound quite as good as Brad Paisley and Brent Mason, I am wondering if this just might be the improvement that will kick me over the edge...

Now THAT'S funny! Laughing

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2007 11:37 am    

Jimmy Olander uses a Glaser double bender (B and G), and said he uses the G more. As I understand it, for the double bender you have the strap hooked to the lever as noted and a lanyard attached to your belt that pulls another lever when you push the guitar neck away from your body, as opposed to down toward the floor.