The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Shobud Fingertips and Permanents----got a picture??
James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2008 9:36 am    

2) THE FINGERTIP
Around 1963, production started on the Sho-Bud Fingertip. This model was unique because unlike the Permanent, it was possible to change the pedal setup. It was nicknamed the Universal for this reason, and was basically the start of the all-pull undercarriage system. The Fingertip got its name from the fact that you could tune the pedal raises or lowers with your fingertips. On the end of the changer, slotted, finger turntable screws for each of the strings was used to tune the pedals. The changer was designed in such a way that you could raise and lower the same string if so desired. Additional raises or lowers of the same string had to be adjusted in the undercarriage. Although the setup was easy to change, the guitar was very sensitive. It had to be setup and adjusted perfectly in order to stay in tune. Constant adjustment was pretty much a given. But once it was adjusted correctly, it played and sounded great. It had a wonderful tone. Generally, the Fingertip was standard with one, and then later, two knee levers. In 1964, the Jackson family moved the Sho-Bud company to lower Broadway in downtown Nashville. A full service music store featuring Sho-Bud pedal steels and products was offered. Fingertips and Permanents were built and assembled at this store on lower Broadway. The generally accepted era for the Fingertip was from 1963 to around 1967 or possibly later. Suggested prices for these Fingertips during their production run varied from eight to twelve string; single,double, or triple neck. The type of wood and finish, plus any wood inlay work also affected the price. As the Permanent, the Fingertip was considered a custom pedal steel. But for an example, a double-10 listed at $620 and $50 for each additional pedal or knee lever.

Out of curiosity, there are subtle differences in fingertips, year by year. Here's some pics of my fingertip changer, believe to be a '67. What does yours look like??

The first 2 pics are before I cleaned the guitar up. Also, this guitar has 9 floor pedals and came with 3 knee levers. I added a 4th. Also note that I changed out the pickups, too. Does anyone have an idea what those "double row" pickups were about? I had been told that Pete Drake had a pair made up(like these) for recording with. I acquired these in an old Professional I once had.

Last edited by James Morehead on 1 Mar 2014 4:57 am; edited 3 times in total

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2008 9:48 am    

Folks, James is tryin' to cover his butt with the changed pup pics. Here's what he told me yesterday in a different thread:"Hey John, you might get fined having George L's in a fingertip, ya know!!" Bwaaa! Gotcha buddy! I'm gonna take some new pics to post. Only have this one right now.

James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2008 9:56 am    

John, you ain't broke, but you are badly bent!! I seen fingertips just like those---they were attached to an orangutan's arm!! Razz Evil Twisted Laughing

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2008 10:04 am    

Ya got me! I'm downloading some pics now.
Can you guys spot the differences?

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2008 10:30 am    

This is all I have:

Craig A Davidson

Post  Posted 5 Feb 2008 10:30 am    

It's obvious that the guitar was constantly changing.

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2008 10:34 am    

Craig, the sunburst edges of the tops on you guitar are uncommonly cool!

Craig A Davidson

Post  Posted 5 Feb 2008 12:01 pm    

The guitar was custom made for a guy. His name is on a little plaque on the front. It says Custom Made for Ken Near.

Steve Waltz

USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2008 12:20 pm    

you can't see it too well but here's one, It's kind of famous and known to sound pretty good, at least on the panter hall record.

And this one's been posted before

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2008 12:23 pm    

Wish I could see a pic of the changer end of Lloyd's guitar!

Wayne Wallett

Shermans Dale, PA USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2008 12:28 pm    

I had a really "odd duck" one of these in the late 60's. I had a double 11 string fingertip Sho-Bud I picked up from Marlen Guitars. Was traded in. I eventually traded it on a new Emmons push-pull around 1970. Wish I had it now and the push-pull. I wonder who it was originally built for? 11 strings came in handy on the E9th.
Regards,
Wayne

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2008 12:49 pm    

2) THE FINGERTIP
Around 1963, production started on the Sho-Bud Fingertip. This model was unique because unlike the Permanent, it was possible to change the pedal setup. It was nicknamed the Universal for this reason, and was basically the start of the all-pull undercarriage system. The Fingertip got its name from the fact that you could tune the pedal raises or lowers with your fingertips. On the end of the changer, slotted, finger turntable screws for each of the strings was used to tune the pedals. The changer was designed in such a way that you could raise and lower the same string if so desired. Additional raises or lowers of the same string had to be adjusted in the undercarriage. Although the setup was easy to change, the guitar was very sensitive. It had to be setup and adjusted perfectly in order to stay in tune. Constant adjustment was pretty much a given. But once it was adjusted correctly, it played and sounded great. It had a wonderful tone. Generally, the Fingertip was standard with one, and then later, two knee levers. In 1964, the Jackson family moved the Sho-Bud company to lower Broadway in downtown Nashville. A full service music store featuring Sho-Bud pedal steels and products was offered. Fingertips and Permanents were built and assembled at this store on lower Broadway. The generally accepted era for the Fingertip was from 1963 to around 1967 or possibly later. Suggested prices for these Fingertips during their production run varied from eight to twelve string; single,double, or triple neck. The type of wood and finish, plus any wood inlay work also affected the price. As the Permanent, the Fingertip was considered a custom pedal steel. But for an example, a double-10 listed at $620 and $50 for each additional pedal or knee lever.

Steve Waltz

USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2008 1:43 pm    

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2008 1:46 pm    

It's got the acorn nutz! Thanks Steve!

Steve Waltz

USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2008 2:27 pm    

I beleive that Bobbe Seymour was involved with Sho Bud during the period you are talking about. I think if someone would ask him to lay out what he knows about the details, you might get all the info you need. But I think you have to ask him directly.

The more first hand knowledge about these subjects the better.

Last edited by Steve Waltz on 5 Feb 2008 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2008 2:29 pm    

Anyone know how many were made?

Jay Yuskaitis

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2008 3:21 pm    

By todays standard, not enough. IMHO, A Sho Bud, not involving, Shot or Bud, is not a true Sho Bud. But, what do I know. Jay Y.[/b]

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2008 3:44 pm    

Yeah Jay. I think I read just a day or so ago that the number may have been only about 350. I sure would have thought more

Steve Waltz

USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2008 3:57 pm    

BobbeSeymour
posted 19 May 2003 02:36 PM profile send email edit
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyone want to ask me a specific question, I'll give you a correct answer. Yes, I was involved with the factory through the "fingertip" years. The first one I ever saw was Buddy Charlton's D-10 in '64 in Norfolk VA.I moved to Nashville soon after. The last one built was in the summer of '69. The "permenents" and "Baldwin crossovers" were built during the same period and not very many "Fingertips" were really built , around 100 D-10's as I remember, total. I prefered the perminent myself to anything up to the Pro II of '71.
Yes , there were many single 10string Fingertip guitars built. I have had many, many over the years.
Bobbe

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2008 4:30 pm    

Wow! Only about 100 D-10s? But I gotta admit, I'd raid my savings account to buy an S-10/11/12.

Bob Blair

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2008 4:58 pm    

I believe that the Ken Near identified on Craig's guitar was a Canadian steel player who taught Buddy Cage in the early years - I think Al Brisco was a student of his as well, but I could stand corrected.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2008 5:01 pm    

This picture is from a brochure I received from Sho~Bud during the "Universal" years. (1967)

Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2008 6:21 pm    

Steve Walz wrote:
you can't see it too well but here's one, It's kind of famous and known to sound pretty good, at least on the panter hall record.

And this one's been posted before

Steve I believe this is the guitar that Lloyd used on his two Lawrence Welk appearances, judging by the flaw in the front apron.
Notice the dark line running diagonally in the light part of the finish.

I wonder where that guitar is today.... I believe Lloyd sold it...

Craig A Davidson

Post  Posted 5 Feb 2008 9:05 pm    

It's a long story which I know but better not tell for fear of getting facts mixed up, but the guitar was rebuilt and sold to a fellow in Texas who is a big Lloyd Green fan. That's the short version. I got the story from Lloyd.

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2008 3:32 pm    

I've always liked this one with the aluminum back apron. I have no idea who it belongs to. Sure would like to know, because one of my knee levers is drilled for an extension, but it's missing. This guitar has the missing piece. I'd like to copy it. Anyone know who owns it?